Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Waiting for diagnosis

Thanks

Sara,
    mine are 14 year old boy and 15 year old girl. I sometimes think they fight because they are so close in age but not quite the same. There is 20 months between them. They think they should be treated equally, with the same privileges. But they are really great kids.
    That is so cool, that you teach adults english. By then, they should have lost most of their attitude.
    Rob, my scottish terrier would LOVE your cats. :lol:
    I am curious as to why they thought you were rabid though
    Is there a secret you are keeping from us?
    Robyn
    live, love and laugh often.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Oh, the whole rabid thing is just from the list of made up names the site owner has programmed in to show up as you have more posts under your belt. You guys will be Rabid Pitbulls when you reach the 400 post mark. It's funny to see your "name" change as time and posts go by. It's a totally automatic process, so there's actually nobody physically choosing any certain name at any certain time. It's all pre-programmed.

Sara, as far as work, I am almost totally unemployed now. I recieve full Social Security Disability. I used to own my own company. I was a Smallarms Engineer. I used to design various firearms systems and accessories for the Dept. of Defense. I would work with various agencies or branches of the military on projects where I was required to go out into the field to evaluate a certain weapon or component with the people who were actually going to be using the item. Then come home to the factory, and either re-design, modify, or come up with an all new design or concept as needed.

Now, I do some volunteer work at a local museum to keep busy. Since I'm a volunteer, I don't feel that bad if I can't do the job every time. It's a military museum, and I'm basically building some model aircraft for them to display. I enjoy it, and it's zero stress. Many years ago, I was also in the Army. Used to drive a tank. Pretty much everyone in my family is involved in Law Enforcement and/or the military on some level. My sister is the administrator at the local Veterans Hospital. I have a nephew in Army Special Forces. My Dad is retired federal law enforcement.

Have you always been a teacher Sara? I actually have no formal training as a teacher. I do have formal training, but it's in the field of mechanical engineering. I just saw an ad one day and thought I could help. And, I was just an assistant/tutor, we did have people with credentials doing the really involved parts of the course. It was rewarding. I'd like to be able to work again someday, but I'm a realist. My SLE is in a constant state of flare. I feel sort of OK for a day or two, and bam, I go into a full flare about every 3 or 4 days. And earlier this year I was also diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis on top of SLE. It's called an overlapping illness. That's original, huh. So, managing all these health issues is now my job. Not fun, but what can you do? You just have to face it and keep on going. Anyway, I love your sense of humor. Laughter is something we need plenty of around here. Have an enjoyable Friday. I'll talk to you later.

Rob

Thanks

At least we are safe Robyn as you are a growing guppy and I'm a tadpole and rabid dogs have a fear of water :lol!:

Thanks

Hey I'm a little guppy - been reborn :bday: Phew thank God I'm still in the water to escape any rabid pit bulls

Thanks

Rob,
    How interesting that you were a small arm engineer. I work in the engineering department of a radio frequency connector manufacturer. We design and manufacture small connectors for use in aircraft and test equipment.
    You must be extremely proud of your family. I would be. That is a very impressive list. Is your nephew deployed currently?

Sara, I didn't even realize that I had evolved into the growing guppy. We are like a guppy gang now. :lol:

Thanks

Rob

You have obviously led an amazingly interesting working life which I guess is more than a lot of people have to look back on. I should imagine that it has been difficult for you to slow down when you have been so active in the past. I have to agree that not doing paid work is wonderfully stress free - I went back to work in January after being at home for 18 months. That 18 months was gloriously relaxing - unfortunately our financial situation changed and I needed to go back to work. I opened the newspaper and saw the ad for this job which takes me 4 mins to drive to from my driveway!!! It seemed like fate stepping in so I applied for it and here I am lol. working life is going to get more stressful as my role changes into more of a management role but I need the extra oney for the girls' uni fees over the next few years so I'll try to pace myself and cope. I do love the job though, so that's a bonus - many people are stuck in jobs that they hate aren't they?

Tell us more about your life Rob - so you work in the museum, making models, and you have a sister and a nephew and a Dad. You used to make guns (what a boy's dream job hahaha), oh yeh and you have cats. Do you have a family living with you? Tell me about the place where you live - is it rural or city location? Very important incase Robyn and I decide to drop by for a week (don't panic - that really WAS a joke Rob lol). MS too - Gosh that's not fair :cry:

I live near to Manchester in the UK - I wold really like to move to somewhere more rural like the place I grew up but I love the convenience of the city. Can't afford to move house anyway so no decisions to make there then :roll: Haven't always been a teacher - I did an English degree whilst the kids were small and I looked after other people's kids to earn money so I could stay home with my own two. Then I went to Uni for 2 years to do my teaching post grad and then went into high school for 2 years. My eldest then had an accident and I gave up work to get her back on track and stayed off for 18 months lol.

What about you Robyn? Life story on a postage stamp please :lol:

Off for my clarinet lesson now folks - I'll check in later.

Saraxx

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Sara,

Hope you are having a good day. I'm feeling a bit rough today. Lots of brain fog. I'm going to wait until I have a clear head to tell you my story. Gotta try to get some sleep for now, but I'll be back. Talk to you later.

Rob

Thanks

Hope you feel better after a good rest Rob. I'm off to bed myself now as it's almost 10.30pm here and I've had a busy day. Overdone things a bit and forgot to take my anti inflams and codeine at lunchtime so I think I'm in for a rough night :bad-words: Going to have to resort to a DiazapanI think :sleeping: Sometimes when I feel OK I start to doubt that there is anything really wrong with me and then I suddenly feel like I've been run over by a truck and it reminds me that it can't be normal to feel like this every other day for months on end. I never have more than one good day at a time and even then I usually pay for it at night! I think the pain in my chest and back might be because my lung is getting worse And my stupid thumb is really sore now too :!: I hope this all goes away one day - I don't want to be like this for ever. It seems trivial compared to what lots of you are all going through but it's all so frustrating all the same. Anyway - enough self-indulgence from me You take good care of yourself and feel better soon. I promise to be more cheerful next post

Saraxx

Thanks

Sara,
    Life on a postage stamp, hmmm.
    I am 37, married my high school sweetheart. We will be married 19 years in December. He served in the Marine Corps for 4 years. (I was a Marine Corp dependent.) My daughter was born in North Carolina, while we were stationed there. We moved back home to Indiana. I had my son about a year later. We have a cute little house in a small town. You would probably call in rural. The four of us and our dog.
    My brother was diagnosed with lupus in 1993. I went to the doctor a couple of months ago, had blood work done. He is sending me to rhuemy in Dec.
    Found this website and love all of the people on it. Can't hardly wait to get on and talk to everyone.

Rob,
    Sorry that you are feeling so poorly today. I hope that your rest helps you. I can't wait to read your story too. I have never been to Maine. I have always thought I would like to go. The closest I have been is Connecticut. My mom-in-law used to live outside of Hartford. Have you ever been to the midwest?

Thanks

Aawwww you married your high school sweetheart - that's such a rarity these days well done!! I thought Lupus didn't run on families but I'm hearing more and more on here that people's relatives have it too - worried now that if I have it I might have passed it to the kids. No signs so far though so that's a relief.

Hope Rob's feeling better - amazing how you quickly begin to feel part of the community on here and feel concerened for people who live on the other side of the world. Hope your kids behaved this weekend Mine have been out most of the time - youngest at a sleepover and th eldest at her weekend job - so life was peaceful

How have you felt over the weekend? I've felt pretty good today - usually do on a Sunday - must be due to slowing things down a bit for a couple of days I think.

I'm struggling with the time difference, as when I get up in the morning and look at my post you are all asleep

Are you working tomorrow?

Sarax