Thread: What can you tell me about gabapenten

Thanks

Default What can you tell me about gabapenten

Because my insurance is being stinky and wont cover lyrica I am having to try gabapenten. What do you all know about it?

K

Thanks

Hi K,
    Gabapenten is the same as Neurontin. It is used for Fibromyalgia, and neuropathy. It is also used for seizure disorders. I hope this helps out some.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just to elucidate upon the information that Kathy gave you:

Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant medication which is used for certain types of seizures. It has been found to be an effective treatment for the pain and other symptoms associated with the common, often hard-to-treat chronic pain of fibromyalgia. Although gabapentin has little, if any, effect on acute pain, it has shown to have an excellent effect on pain caused by a heightened response to stimuli related to inflammation or nerve injury in animals with chronic pain syndromes. Therefore, researchers have suspected that it might have the same effect in people with fibromyalgia.

Although the researchers cannot say with certainty how gabapentin helps reduce the pain. One possible explanation involves the binding of gabapentin to a specific subunit of voltage-gated calcium channels on neurons. This binding reduces calcium flow into the nerve cell, which reduces the release of some signaling molecules involved in pain processing.

How gabapentin improves sleep and other symptoms is even less clear, and there are probably different mechanisms involved in fibromyalgia symptoms. Gabapentin does improve sleep, which is an added benefit to patients with fibromyalgia who often suffer from sleep disturbances. What is important is that now, people with fibromyalgia have a potential new treatment option for a condition with few effective treatments.

I hope that this also helps you a bit.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi NoodleMom!
    I've been on Gabapentin for awhile now... sorta. I'm very sensitive to meds and have a hard time tolerating most of them. I began taking Gabapentin at a fairly low dose and worked myself self to the mid dose, still not enough to really reap all the benefits. Also recently I had to stop for a short time to complete a month and a half long antibiotic treatment... I was just taking too many things that were upsetting my stomach... Here is what I can tell you, does it offer some relief? Yes, since I've been off it I do notice a difference. While I was on it I still had much discomfort but not nearly as much as I do without it. Also I have gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying/digestion) and I noticed that somehow it helped speed up the digestion just a bit which also helps spare me that discomfort as well.
    I hope that helps you some.
    God Bless!

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I have been on it now a few days. But Ive also been sick with a cold and headache as well as little sleep because of my sons asthma. Im not real sure how it is working. HubbyMan has either already increased the dose or he plans to today. If it works it will be only a $4 co-pay as opposed to paying out of pocket for lyrica.

Ill tryto remember to update in a week or so.

K

Thanks

Hi, K. I was on gabapentin (neurontin) for quite a while for a neuropathy. It worked miracles for the nerve pain, which was nearly unbearable until I started the meds. Narcotic pain meds don't touch nerve pain, and (as Saysusie described) these medications do. It did help me sleep, too. After a year or so, it seemed to stop working as well and I gradually quit taking it. Side effects were minimal (sleepiness). The only problem I had was when I increased the dose too quickly - I was supposed to increase it in graduated amounts, but I misread the instructions. I was out of it for a day or so. :shock:

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

It takes more than a few days to work and people need to titrate up the dose. Sometimes it dosen't work until it is at the maximal dose.

You won't see any difference in a few days and if you do, its probably not the drug.

I think that gabapentin is a lot better in terms of side effects than a lot of the other drugs for neuropathic pain e.g.. amitryptylline or the other anticonvulsants like carbamazepine. Although the newer ones like lamotrigine are meant to be good. I don't know much about pregabalin cos its quite new isn't it.