Thread: muscle spasms

Thanks

Default muscle spasms

Hello, I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could tell me about the treatments that have worked for them and if they work on muscle spasms? I have terrible muscle spasms in my arms and in the back of my thighs. Thankyou
    Tammy williams

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Tywill :lol:
    Many doctors are prescribing FLEXERIL tablets as a new lower-dose, less-sedating muscle relaxant.
    I have heard that some doctors are also prescribing Botulinum toxin. This is a protein which supposedly can stop some of the chemical messages that are sent from nerves. These messages tell the muscles to contract in spasms (to tighten up). Botulinum toxin is used to stop muscle spasms because it blocks these messages.
    I do not know how these treatments have been tolerated. Perhaps someone will respond to you and give you more information.
    Are your muscle spasms due to Fibromyalgia?? Most muscle spasm in Lupus patients are caused by this condition. Here is some information about the condition for you to determine if you have any of the symptoms:
    Fatigue, irritability, nervousness, depression, apathy, listlessness, impaired memory and concentration, anxieties and suicidal thoughts. Insomnia and frequent, awakening from pain result in non-restorative sleep.
    Pain and generalized morning stiffness in the muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia arise from the shoulders, neck, upper and lower back, hips, knees, inner and outer elbows, wrists, and chest.
    Injured or old operative sites are often most affected.
    Joint pains with or without swelling, redness and heat are frequent.
    Irritable Bowel:
    (Often called leaky gut, spastic colon or mucous colitis). Symptoms include nausea (often brief, repetitive waves), indigestion, gas, bloating, cramps, constipation alternating with diarrhea and sometimes mucus in the stools.
    Genitourinary:
    Pungent urine, frequent urination, bladder spasms, burning urination (dysuria) with or without repeated bladder infections and interstitial cystitis are common. Vulvodynia (or vulvar pain syndrome) includes vaginal spasms, irritation of the vaginal lips (vulvitis) or opening (vestibulitis) and painful intercourse (dyspareunia). It typically mimics a yeast infection but without the typical discharge. Intense PMS and cramping are common, and all symptoms of fibromyalgia are worse premenstrually.
    Dermatological:
    Various rashes may appear with or without itching: hives, red blotches, tiny bumps or blisters, eczema, seborrheic or neurodermatitis. Nails are often brittle and poor quality; hair falls out prematurely. The skin may give off sensations such as cold, heat (especially palms, soles and thighs), crawling, electric vibrations, prickling, super-sensitivity to touch, or flushing sometimes with heavy sweating.
    Miscellaneous Symptoms:
    Headaches (even migraines); dizziness, vertigo (spinning) or imbalance; dry eyes with itching or burning and blurred vision; nasal congestion and post-nasal drip; irritated tongue or abnormal tastes (bad, scalded or metallic); ringing or swishing sounds; numbness and tingling hands, feet or face; leg or foot cramps; weight gain; low grade fevers; greater susceptibility to infections and allergies; heightened sensitivity to sounds, lights, odors or chemicals; morning eyelid and hand swelling from fluid retention that gravitates to the lower legs where it stretches tissues causing the restless leg syndrome.
    Hypoglycemia Syndrome:
    This is a separate entity that can be induced or intensified by fibromyalgia. Forty percent of female and 20 percent of male fibromyalgics suffer from fibroglycemia -- what we call the combination of both conditions. Symptoms greatly overlap those of fibromyalgia, but sugar craving accompanied by tremors, sweating, anxiety, panic attacks, heart palpitations, faintness, and frontal headaches, especially if hunger-induced, are solid clues to the diagnosis. Hypoglycemia must be treated concurrently or the patient will not totally recover despite reversal of fibromyalgia.
    Pain products labeled salicylate or salicylic acid such as aspirin, Salsalate, Disalcid, Anacin, Excedrin.
    TREATMENT:
    The goal of treatment is to reduce pain, improve sleep, and relieve associated symptoms. Treatment is tailored to the individual. Some patients experience significant relief of symptoms, some find moderate improvement, and others report little or no relief. Only about 5% of fibromyalgia patients become symptom free. Most treatment regimens include medication, lifestyle changes, exercise, physical therapy, and behavior modification.
    Medication
    Antidepressant agents known as tricyclics relieve sleep disorders, reduce muscle pain, and treat depression. The tricyclic drug most commonly prescribed for fibromyalgia is amitriptyline (ElavilŪ).
    Another class of antidepressants used in fibromyalgia is selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). They boost the level of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain, which modulates mood, but do not improve physical symptoms. Fluoxetine (ProzacŪ) is a commonly prescribed SSRI.
    Small doses of aspirin or acetaminophen may provide some pain relief and relieve muscle stiffness. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g., ibuprofen), narcotics, and corticosteroids (e.g., prednisone) have not proven to be effective.
    Regardless of the cause of your muscle spasms, I would suggest routine low-impact aerobics and moderate strength training as they may help reduce pain, tender-point counts, depression, and sleep disturbance. During aerobic exercise, endorphins, hormone-like substances, are released. Endorphins help relieve pain and produce a feeling of well-being. Walking, swimming, and riding a stationary bicycle provide excellent low-impact aerobic exercise.
    I hope that I have been helpful.
    Best Of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default muscle spasms

Thankyou for the reply. I have been diagnosied with lupus due to other syptoms. I have swollen lumph nodes, a butterfly rash on my face , my ana test was 320, extrem fatigue, i also have a kidney desiese known as poly cystic kidneys,and my liver count has been slightly elevated. The muscle spasms have just been a recent activity. I don't know what the treatment options are yet. I will be seeing a Arthritis doctor for the first time on monday and I'm just a little scared. I wish there were more people who understand lupus in my home town. I personally feel really alone.Tammy
    Tammy williams

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Tammy :lol:
    How was your doctor's visit?? Have you started on any treatments?
    Please know that you are not alone...we are here to provide you with information, support and comfort!
    Let me know how you are doing and what you diagnosis was!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hello,I've had a little bit of a hard time recently. My doctors visit went well. He told me that we will discuse treatment options the next time I go up to Montana for a visit which is March 7th. He wanted to check all my blood work and did an MRI on my head.I've had a hard time trying to get on this web site I didn't know if my computer was having problems. Maybe it was sick too. I'm know on lodine for inflamation. I guess I'll find out more soon thanks for the concern.
    Tammy williams

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi: Sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time right now. Using iodine for inflamation is new to me. Has it been working for you?
    There was nothing wrong with your computer, I put a post on each forum apologizing for the difficulties we've been having with this site. Until it is completely resolved, I generally go on the site when I think there is less traffic.
    I hope that things go well for you, keep us posted and let us know how you are doing!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hello, The medicine I'm taking is Lodine or etodolac 1000mg a day. I'm starting to feel a little better the muscle cramps are starting to go away. Maybe I should allow more time for my meds to kick in. Thanks for the chat everybody.
    Tammy williams