Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Prescription Medications Where and How To Get Them

Thanks

Default Free Prescription Medications Where and How To Get Them

[b] Free Prescription Medications Where and How To Get Them

If you do not have insurance coverage for prescriptions and are NOT currently on Medicaid; check out a book called "Free (or almost free) Prescription Medications Where and How to Get Them" by David Johnson. Sadly, while employed his prescriptions costs were $1500 per month which exceeded what he made. I can think that many of us might be in this boat; I only wish there was a program for those of us who are forced to work less hours and our prescription costs outweigh what our gross pay is.

This gentleman has MS and was let go by his employer therefore losing his insurance nor could he receive any Medicaid. Mr. Johnson published a wonderful book of meds indexed by the makers of the meds themselves for patients whom meet the above criteria. Pharmacetical companies are listed alphabetically and meds are listed alphabetically along with indexes to appropriate pages with patient eligibility, phone numbers, addresses, and meds covered.

I hope this helps many who are in need.

God Bless,

Faith 8)

Thanks

I can't believe that the USA being an amazing developed country still has so many people who can't access healthcare. I am hoping that whoever becomes the next president will change things for the better.

In the UK, we have to pay prescription charges which cost a maximum of about 102.00 a year irrespective of how many drugs you take each month.

Most people don't pay, especially if they are on sick pay, disability benefit, they are children, retired, out of work etc.

so I guess advice would be to see if you are eligible for some kind of benefits.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Furrydog,

It's kind of ironic, isn't it. We here in the U.S. can do amazing things like launching space shuttles, and landing a man on the moon. Yet our leaders cannot seem to agree on, let alone pass, anything like healthcare reform. I'm lucky that I live in Maine, as we have a program called MaineCare which really helps those of us who have no insurance, and no job or benefits because we are disabled. I'm lucky, but there are a whole bunch of people out there who are not.

I hope that the new administration, whichever one it may be, will make healthcare and prescription drug assistance a high priority. It would be nice if a larger budget could be given for more Lupus research, as well as other research into many other diseases that are not in the headlines, or very well known. We'll just have to wait and see.

BTW thanks for the info on that book Faith, I think I'll get myself a copy of it.

Rob

Thanks

Hi Furrydog & Rob,

You are very welcome Rob, and I hope it is very helpful!! It is my intention to share and ease the financial burden. It's crazy over here with insurance. It's kind of like credit; you have to have it to get more; but if you have a small amount; you are out of luck.

I called NORAD and asked about Provigil since our insurance will not pay for it, even after appeal, because I did not have narcloposy while it was prescribed for extreme chronic fatigue so I can work 3 hours per day. I can't afford the med on my own since my med costs exceed what I make and more. I was denied because I am very fortunate to have insurance (Praise God) even though the insurance co. will not pay for many of my meds due to "off label usage." Unfortunately, this is where some of us fall into the cracks. It comes down to eating or taking your meds. It's sad.

The key is no insurance or Medicaid. I hope this helps many and I wanted to share it as it might lighten your financial burdens of receiving meds. No one should have to make the decision that if they want to eat they have to skip their meds or vice versa.

I highly suggest we all email the prospective presidents with a "wish list" of healthcare issues and concerns. What scares me is making it mandatory to purchase your own insurance and not having access to it through the employer.

Those of us who have pre-existing conditions can't get insurance on our own whatsoever in CA. We don't have state insurance like Oklahoma; I really wish we did. I wish we had something similar to Maine. What is the solution? I don't know; but I don't think it is giving a tax credit so we can purchase our own insurance. The tax credit would not be enough and the insurance companies are going to laugh that one all the way to the bank!!! It allows them out of the loop of servicing many chronically ill people.

God Bless,

Faith 8)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Faith,

You mentioned that you called NORAD? I assume you are not talking about the NORAD in Colorado Springs. You know, it's that underground command center like in the movie "Wargames". Is NORAD a prescription assistance program in California?

Thanks

Hi Rob,

Sorry about that; no Norad (no wargames). It must be time for a nap. lol.

(NORD) National Organization for Rare Diseases. I located this book through the local library. I hope others will be able to find it too. All patient assistance programs are available for anyone within the United States.

Faith :sleeping:

Thanks

so how come some of you even with insurance can't get certain drugs, whereas other people with insurance can get them?

whats with that?

Good luck with your wish list to the future president. I'm not American, but if I was, I would ask for free healthcare for all children at least

Thanks

Yes the healthcare system here is crazy. You can get help if you have kids and no income but the minute you get any type of job even if it barely covers gas they take you off and you are on your own. Most people have to choose to remain jobless to keep insurance or get a job so that you can pay your bills.

Thanks

My CellCept was very expensive, and even though I have insurance and prescription coverage I was having a hard time covering the cost each month. So, I went onto Roche's website (the maker of CellCept), and found that they had a patience assistance program. I called and talked to the woman, and thought if I was eligible for anything it would just be a little help, because I don't qualify for any type of other assistance. BUT, when I filled out the paperwork and sent it in they called me back and told me I would be receiving my CellCept 100% free, and on top of that they mail it right to my house.

If you are having a hard time covering a prescription, I'd highly recommend checking out the maker's website for information on assistance, because it has worked really well for me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thumbs down prescription drugs

I know how expensive drugs are. I am on dissability medicare and when you are in the gap you pay full price for them untill the end of the year again. My doctors were giving me samples to tide me over Bonita