Thread: TIA's?

Thanks

Default TIA's?

Apparently I had a TIA on Friday. The ER doc said this can be common with people who have Lupus but I don't remember reading anything about it. Anyone have any information on this? I am afraid to google it as I may scare myself. I get to add a neurologist to my list of doctors now, how lucky can I possibly get? bah.
    I just want to dance in the rain and stand in the sun...

Thanks

Hugsss deester

This was the best explenation I found. Yes on some of the sites it does mention people with lupus having TIA.

You should look at this as it gives a good explenation and signs and symptoms.

I'm so sorry you are going through this gentle hugs to you. You do need to inform yourself so you know what to look for incase it happens again. Quick response to getting yourself treated is very important. So you need to be aware of the symptoms.

Gentle hugssss and keep us up dated. We're here for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_ischemic_attack
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hey deester

How are you feeling today?
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Deester, I'm sorry you're going through this. TIAs are sometimes called 'mini-strokes'. I know someone in my local support group that has had those. Mayo Clinic also has some pretty good info on TIAs:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tra...attack/DS00220

I hope this is an isolated incident for you!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Hello all. I still have a slight headache and my heart goes through periods of hard pumping with a high pulse rate. As a result I am now wearing a lovely heart monitor for the next 30 days. It has already captured 2 instances and both times I was at rest watching a movie with my hubby.

I just don't know what to do with myself anymore. First my kidneys now my heart. I am hoping the rheumy I see on the 14th can straighten some of this crud out for me. 1 week to go....

Thank you for those links! I am learning what happened to me now and getting armed to make sure the doctors fix me!
    I just want to dance in the rain and stand in the sun...

Thanks

Default Hope you are doing well!

My lupus has effected my central and peripheral nervous systems. I was diagnosed in Dec 1998 but was not put on any medicines until after I had a major stroke in June 2000. After having the major stroke, I was told they didn't know how many strokes that I had had since my brain was severly scarred. I was told a TIA would not show up on scans. My advise to you is to keep a real good check on any neurological symptoms. Hope all is well and you do fine. Would love to hear how you are doing.

Thanks

Deester -

I have had a TIA and a stroke, which they officially are calling a "complicated migraine" but I still have lingering symptoms, 7 months later. So I've done quite a bit of research and am now working with a neurologist and a neurosurgeon to know what the heck really happened, if possible.

If your TIA is related to lupus, it could be part of antiphosholipid syndrome. Basically, another autoimmune thing that causes problems with blood clotting. That accounts for the temporary blockage of blood to the brain. Your rheumy can do a blood test to check for that antigen.

According to my neurologist, the answer to preventing future episodes is fairly simple - daily dose of aspirin. It helps keep the blood thinned out. I was taking 325mg, but after several months my stomach couldn't take it anymore. I'm back down to just the baby/healthy heart dose - 81mg. It is a huge, huge relief to know I can do something so simple to prevent something so disturbing.

I definitely suggest that you talk to your rheumy or someone about looking into this possibility.

Hugs, and may the force be with you
    "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear. What a privilege to carry everything to Him in prayer." (Old Rugged Cross)