Thread: Hot flashes???

Thanks

Default Hot flashes???

I have a quick question...are hot flashes a common side effect or symptom of SLE? I'm only 28 yrs old and I'm having hot flashes like crazy everyday....They come on all of sudden and last for several minutes....is this normal?? Could it be my meds? I'm on 60 mg of prednisone, 2000mg cellcept, and 2 blood pressure meds...please help...i hate sweating!!!! :evil:

Thanks

I know that prednisone can cause you to sweat ...a lot! I carry a finger towel (you know those mini hand towels?) in my purse now to wipe my glowing brow

Thanks

Thanks so much Razzleberry for the tip...I'll have to remember to put a towel in my purse!!!

Thanks

Default Re: Hot flashes???

Quote Originally Posted by karmellkisses
    I have a quick question...are hot flashes a common side effect or symptom of SLE? I'm only 28 yrs old and I'm having hot flashes like crazy everyday....They come on all of sudden and last for several minutes....is this normal?? Could it be my meds? I'm on 60 mg of prednisone, 2000mg cellcept, and 2 blood pressure meds...please help...i hate sweating!!!! :evil:
    You know what, I've been wondering the same thing. I'm not on prednisone, only plaquenil, neurontin, and flexerill. Oh, and a med for high blood pressure. But, I've had hot flashes too. It's like low 50s where I live and I'm hot w/the fan on and window open. I have to adjust my hairstyle now because my hair sweats since I'm hot. I hate sweating too. I've always experienced sweating but this is different. I feel like my whole body's hot. I thought it had to do w/high blood pressure but I've googled and found nothing to confirm a correlation between high blood pressure and high body temperature. Plus, my temperature isn't high. It's normal. Also, I'm only 34. Early menopause doesn't run in my family. So, I'm quite certain I'm not premenopausal. So, I don't know. If you find out anything, please let me know.

Thanks

Hi Karmelkisses...

Gosh a few months or so back we had a thread going about body temperatures and hot flashes....

I would say from that discussion most of us get them, had them..with or without steroids...and any age.

I went threw a spell of private hot sultry summer days, daily and nightly I would wake up from a sleep of showers. So wet and wrinkled, sheet wrinkles in my skin. They past for a few months..now every once in a while I am reminded of them.

I feel all my pores open as they brim over with sweat while the A/C runs 24/7...I glisten.

Also, hot flashes with low temperatures in the 96 range seems common amongst us...

Hormones, inflammation..dunno. I asked my doctor and felt it was an odd question to ask of him because of his stare while looking inward, in his brain for an answer. No verbal communication, just a shrug and a tight crooked I don't know smile. He didn't know.

They suspect hormones play a role in developing Lupus, so maybe hot flashes are a part of the puzzle...

Maybe the body is cleansing it self through perspiration of the drugs we take...far fetch.

Maybe an overactive thyroid in some?

Be well,
    Hugs,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Default I get hot flashes too!

I have not been diagnosed with lupus as of yet. However I believe whole heartedly thats what I have. Yesterday I was in the car for 2hrs and started feeling weak, tired, hot with hot flashes and had joint pain. Later on I developed a sunburn like rash over my cheeks and nose(butterfly shape) and on my arms. 20 minutes later or so after I noticed it it was gone. Not sure if this is the typical rash seen or not. It was not raised or scaly but I had the hot flashes until it went away. So yeah I can relate Im going to be 21 nov 7th so its not like im due for menapause either lol
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Thanks

Winter is coming....bring ON the hotflashes :lol:

I was in a constant state of hot flash last winter and I LOVED IT!

I will take anyone's hot flash that doesn't want it

I HATE being cold and achey. I'd rather be hot and sore lol
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

I hate being cold, but I'm not a fan of hot flashes. I'm 58, so I get menopause hot flashes. But I've also had other kinds - the night sweats early on in my illness, and then hot flashes probably related to prednisone (when I was on a higher dose.) They are a bit different, for me. The lupus night sweats were just that - only at night. The one's I had when on higher doses of prednisone were anytime of the day, and seemed to start at my hairline. My whole head gets wet - sweat dripping down my face, my neck, back. Yuk! Menopause hot flashes were anytime - anywhere (those are about gone now...thank God!) I would just sort of 'flush' pink and be a bit moist all over. For any of these hot flashes, sipping cold water really helps me. Even just a little bit of water can make a difference. A cool cloth on the back of my neck helps, too.

Here's to keeping your cool!

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

I keep several pairs of pajamas close to the night stand. If I wake up in a sweat I change in to dry jammies and can at least get back to sleep.
    Oh look ... a cookie