Thread: Cricket in my Bedroom Wall

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Cricket in my Bedroom Wall

Hi Everybody:

I've got a cricket in my bedroom wall. This has been going on for about a week now. It promptly starts chirping about 7 o'clock every night and this goes on all night long. It is pretty loud, though I have tried to drown out the sound with my fan's noise. If anyone can think of a way to get rid of this insect without disturbing the drywall or calling in pest control, please let me know. Unfortunately, the little critter is driving me crazy. I tried knocking on the wall, but this only stops his chirpping for less than a minute. I thought maybe if I disturbed him enough he would go away, but no dice.

Thanks

That has to be the most annoying sound ever! I had one outside my window that did not want to move. My favorite way to get rid of insects is to spray ammonia at them drives them mad. I dont know if this would work for you unless you know where he got in at. Maybe he will find his way out or starve or something. They re just so loud and annoying hope he shuts up for you soon

Thanks

Good grief, DrinkofWtr! That would drive me batty...I'm very sensitive to noises and a light sleeper. Have you tried looking on Google? Search on "cricket in wall" or something to see if someone has had that exerience and has a solution? (I've no doubt someone has - crickets are everywhere in one form or another.) Crickets are good luck in some cultures, but probably not in this case. :shock:

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi DrinkofWtr,

Back in Arizona I had crickets in my walls that drove me crazy. The sound seemed to make the ringing I already have in my ears even worse. I pounded on the wall with the same results. It shuts up for a minute, then starts up again.

Here's what you need to do. Go to the hardware store or grocery store and get some bug spray that is specifically made to kill indoor insects like crickets. Then get yourself a can of the spray lubricant called WD-40. The only thing you need the WD-40 for is the little red plastic straw that comes taped to the can. Take that red tube and stick it in the spray nozzle of the insect killer you bought, it should fit. Next, take a drill and drill a hole right where you think the cricket is. You need to drill through the drywall/sheetrock where there are no studs. You'll know because the drill will just go right through easily. If it goes in hard, and you see some wood coming out as you drill, move a little left or right, whatever way is closer to the sound of the cricket. You only need a drill big enough for the red straw to go through. It's about the size of a pencil lead. You could also use a small nail. Punch it through the drywall and pull it out. Take the bug spray with the red straw attached to the nozzle on the can and put it in the hole. Spray about half of the can into the wall.

I know this sounds complicated, but it's not. You just need to spray some insecticide directly into the space between the studs (2 by 4's) and that will end the miserable little noisemaker permanently. Shouldn't cost more than about ten dollars for the bug spray and WD-40. The hole you need to make is tiny, and can easily be covered witha dab of putty later on. Let me know how it goes.

Rob

P.S. If the cricket is near a wall outlet, DO NOT drill. Call a professional exterminator. You don't want to get zapped.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Cricket in the Wall

To Everybody:

I thought maybe the cricket was between the bathroom vanity and the wall upon closer inspection. I found some bug spray that said it killed crickets. I sprayed it generously in the large crack, I found, between the vanity and the bedroom wall. Immediately, the cricket stopped chirping, so I figured I killed him. Anyway, I didn't hear him the rest of the night. I am pretty sure it's gone for good. We'll see when 7 o'clock comes around tonight! Thanks everyone for your great ideas! I don't know what I would do without you guys. I am so grateful!

Thanks

Let us know if the little 'bugger' dropped dead!

(Hey, Rob...great idea in case it's in the wall! I knew someone would've had a similar experience!)
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Everybody,

I didn't hear it at all last night. It's dead! I hope to never have another experience like that one!

DrinkofWtr There is always something to keep you hopping.