Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSI questions

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default SSI questions

The doctor has labeled me disabled. I HATE that. We applied for public assistance and were denied medical coverage, isn't that grand? I am require to apply for SSI now and I did this online yesterday. My question is how long does it take, is it really hard to get approved? We are drowning in debt since I lost my job due to this illness. I hate not being able to do for myself! I hate crying from knee and wrist pain when doing a simple load of dishes. I just hate this. I hate lupus. I hate asking for help. And I hate whining which is what I am doing now. ugh.
    I just want to dance in the rain and stand in the sun...

Thanks

Hi Deester...

I am not on disability nor ever applied, but from my understanding, from my reads when you file for SSDI and are denied, you appeal it with a lawyer who handles disability claims. If approved the lawyer can only charge x amount of dollars.

There is a cap on his fees. And you would receive "backpay" from the time you were denied till approved also. That is where he, lawyer gets his fees. He is paid directly from SS. If not approved, he doesn't get anything.

So, with that type of clause, I am sure he is there to win for you.

It can take up to a 18 months to two years if denied along the way...

If it was me, I would hire an attorney today.

Be well,
    Hugs,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Hi deester,

I applied for SSDI in February 2008; it's been a ver long process. I feel the same way as you. I didn't want the label, can't work and make a living in CA working 3.5 hours per day. Was told if I was divorsed; I would be approved SSI. GRrrrr. We are in debt due to my shortened hours, and prescriptions. It's absolutely depressing!! I HATE it!!! Lupus robs us of so much; where does it end? My husband's company keeps laying employees off; we need his insurance. Scarry.

They sent me to one of their doctors, then I saw my doctor and had him complete papers; then they also sent me to a shrink. He stated my memory probably wasn't there due to "meds." Untrue; Lupus, Fibro, Sjogrens, Antiphospholipid syndrome and all the others are exhausting not to mention the cognitive issues. No one really understands except those of us that have it.

I was told to remain patient and I should get something in the mail within the next 8 weeks. This is step 1 of three steps. Next step, if it is a denial, I am getting an attorney. I don't have the energy for this fight.

Take care,

Faith :sleeping:

Thanks

I've been in the process of getting approved for SSI since this January. That's a long time. But like they say, it could take 2 yrs. Oh well. That's so long. I got turned down the first time, and I know they never sent my papers to my doctors.

How can they do that?

But they do. I just recently found out I also have emphysema too. Nice to throw that into the mix. Lupus, emphysema, stroke, high blood pressure, hip replacement, low vision from the stroke, migraines, and I get turned down? What the heck? Okay. So I'm not disabled. And lets not forget my GERD. And the fact that I'm fat. And in pain. UGH!!!

Thanks

Hi Misslisa,

They won't tell you anything. You have to specifically request an MSS (medical source statement) be sent to all of your doctors and ask them to complete the forms as accurately as possible. Get copies of them for your records in case they "get lost" or you have to appeal.

A good reference book is "How to get SSI and SSDI" by Mike Davis. Another good book is "Winning the Disabililty Challenge" by John Tholen. They can both be located at the local library if you have a library card.

Get copies of everything every single time you have a lab test, etc., any tests and keep them in a three ring binder. I know it's a pain, I can't tell you how many papers I have "lost" myself before it made it to the binder.

Hang in there and get ready for an appeal. I am so frustrated also; but we can't give up. Look through the phone book and find an attorney who specializes in SSDI and start making phone calls. Ask what their success rates are and their percentage of cases they won. This will better give you an idea of whom you may be comfortable.

Take care,

Faith 8)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Faith For This Useful Post:

riverlaken (05-12-2011)

Thanks

I'm in the appeal process right now. So it's not been fun. I have a lawyer handling it for me.

Thanks for the advice.

Really appreciate it.

Lisa

Thanks

I got a call from them today. I haven't the work history to qualify for SSDI but she said our income limits meet the criteria for SSI. She also told me it would be 2 to 4 months before any decision is made. I have heard it is likely to get a denial first and almost everyone has to appeal it before getting it. Ugh. I hate drawn out processes.
    I just want to dance in the rain and stand in the sun...

Thanks

Default SSI Question

I was just labeled 'disabled' but have only been off work since October 2oth. Although with the holidays rapidly approaching and five children, you can imagine my stress level.

How soon can a person apply for SSI? I'm thinking of trying to do a transcribing job from home, but not sure if the inflammation will allow me to do that, but I need money. Walking is completelyout of the question right now as I'm in a bad flare.

Suggestions? Insight?

Thanks!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I don't know if there is a time limit for applying for disability, but here is a website that might give you that information:

www.ssa.gov/disability

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Oopsy...

You can apply at anytime. The question is how long will you be disable they will ask....

My research yielded...

Your disability does not have to be permanent for you to get SSDI benefits. However, your disability must be long-term. It must last or be expected to last at least 12 months, or result in death. SSDI does not give benefits for short-term disabilities.

Have you sought out assistance from your Department of Social Services...maybe you could qualify for something, for your children and you...

If you provide city, I could research it for you. If so, are you married....?

Be well.
    Hugs,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.