Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are the odds

Thanks

FYI..

I had the anti-DNA ds...(ds - double strand) Mine was a 144. Maybe search online for the lab your doctor uses. This is from LabCorp...

* Negative: 0-99 units/mL
    * Equivocal: 100-120 units/mL
    * Positive: >120 units/mL

Use
    Specific assay for confirming the diagnosis of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)

Limitations
    Low antibody levels may be found in other connective tissue diseases.

Methodology
    Multiplex bead flow cytometry

This standard dsDNA detects both low- and high-affinity antibodies, providing a very sensitive test for diagnostic purposes... however, it is less predictive for severe nephritis, which is associated with the presence of high-affinity antibodies.

Additional Information
    Antibodies to DNA, either single- or double-stranded, are found primarily in systemic lupus erythematosus, and are important, but not necessary or sufficient for diagnosing that condition. Such antibodies are present in 80% to 90% of SLE cases. They are also present in smaller fractions of patients with other rheumatic disorders, and in chronic active hepatitis, infectious mononucleosis, and biliary cirrhosis.

In the past, it was considered unnecessary to test for anti-DNA in patients with a negative test for antinuclear antibodies. A group of “ANA-negative lupus” patients has been described with anti-ssDNA and anti-SS-A/Ro and anti-SS-B/La. However, HEp-2 substrate is much more sensitive than frozen section substrates, and it is uncommon for anti-SS-A/Ro to be negative with these newer substrates.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

The numbers you gave me don't match what he was saying. Of course, he said that this isn't is specialty and he doesn't know much about it. He said that a 10 was high and I had an 18. Does that make sense to you?
    Does a positive test mean you have lupus or just another step in the diagnosis process?

Thanks,
    Robyn

Thanks

Robyn,

The test is just one of the diagnostic tools of many and not a diagnose with just the one....the following are the other...
    • Medical history (Symptoms)
    • Complete physical examination
    • Laboratory tests:
    o Complete blood count
    o Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)
    o Urinalysis
    o Blood chemistries
    o Complement levels
    o Antinuclear antibody test (ANA)
    o Other autoantibody tests (anti-DNA, anti-Sm, anti-RNP, anti-Ro [SSA], anti-La [SSB])
    o Anticardiolipin antibody test
    • Skin biopsy
    • Kidney biopsy

You lab may use different ranges, a different anti-ds dna test than my lab. What was the lab they used?

Have you come across the criteria for a Lupus diagnose, American College of Rheumatology (ACR) 4 of the 11 in your search yet? If not, there are STICKY's in the Lauri's Lounge forum..check it out...

Hugs,
    Oluwa

Thanks

I will check them out. I saw them, but I haven't really gone thru the 11 yet.
    I am not positive on the lab they used. I live about 1/2 hour south of Indianapolis. They used a lab locally for the ANA test but had a lab in South Bend do the anti DNA ds.
    Hopefully I will know more when I talk to them at the beginning of next week.
    Will they do all of the tests?
    How long have you had SLE?

Thanks

Robyn...

I've had SLE for years...at least 25 years from reviewing my symptoms, misdiagnoses. Officially diagnosed 4 years ago.

I have other cruds. Sjogrens, Fibromyalgia, Restless Leg Syndrome and GERD....usually you don't just get the one..can't have one without another.

Sure, they should be able to do all the diagnostic tests...and then some. Today I had blood drawn for calcium levels and TSH, thyroid. Your insurance should cover the cost. Do you have a co-pay, co-insurance?

Also they need to..to know what to rule out, and what the possibilities maybe and know how to treat the symptoms from the results...those aren't just "Lupus" tests.

Then with a diagnose, or even not most of have blood drawn, and fill the cup every two months with a Rheumatologist to stay ahead of the disease..

Make a list of all your questions, and don't feel any of your question aren't legitimate or silly. Remember those are your tests, you hire their (docs and labs) services to help diagnose you, treat you.

Keep well..
    Hugs,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Yes, I have insurance with a co-pay.
    Thanks for all the answers. I will make a list. Just looking for a heads up as to what to expect. My brother was diagnosed in 93. I have never heard him mention any of the other stuff. I wonder if he is getting the best treatment he can. He never has a day that he feels 'good'. I will have to make a point to talk to him this weekend about it. He was very young when they told him(17) and I don't think they (being my parents and brother) knew what to ask. They had never heard of lupus before.

You guys are great. I am extremely glad I found this site.

Have a great day,
    Robyn