Thread: College Students?

Thanks

Default College Students?

Hey guys, I was wondering if there are any college students here dealing with lupus at the moment.
    I'm in my second year of school and I have a lot of trouble keeping up with academic and social commitments.
    My concentration and focus is so bad in class. I can force myself to stay interested but it can only work for so long. And taking notes for a 90 minute lecture leaves my fingers pretty stiff and swollen. I would bring my laptop but it's too large to carry around for class.
    Plus, I need at least 10 hours of sleep a night. I'm actually able to get this most of the time but my social life suffers considerably. I'm not the most extroverted person out there but I'd like to be able to hang out with my friends instead of sleeping in the next room.

And on a side note: anyone from Bryn Mawr, Haverford, or Swarthmore Colleges? I'd love to meet someone in the Tri-Co.

Thanks

Hi cuttlefish,

My stepson has Non-verbal learning disorder. We had him apply for a note taker in his classes.

Seems to me, you would also qualify for this. Check with your student affairs office and see if this is possible. Usually they just pay someone in your class to take your notes for you.

There are also voice programs you can get for your laptop. Is it possible for you to get a sleeker lighter laptop?
    Oh look ... a cookie

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default College Students

Dear Cuttlefish:

Sits in the Corner's reply was excellent. My daughter was one of those note takers when she was in college. She took notes for one of her college professors for one of his classes. She was an excellent note taker. Some people are really good at that.

Thanks

I hope you make it through this semester with ok grades. I asked a similar question awhile back and most people said to try online classes. This is my first semester of all onlien calsses I did have some on campus but had to quit because of the pain and fatigue. See about registering with the disabled students union and also if you could try some online courses next semester. I am a science major and I know I am getting behind but slowing down loooks better that a bunch of low gades and withdrawals on your transcript. I had to struggle through my last semester woth the same issues you are dealing with it ooks rude to fall asleep in class but I took naps in between classes and rested my head in class when necessary but even if you cannot take notes at the time try your best to listen to what is being said that is what helped me most last semester. put my head down and listen Hope you make it through Good luck do whatever it takes to reach your goals try not to let the stupid lupus stop you

Thanks

cuttlefish and jadenei,

kudos to you for continuing your education.

as said above, talk to the ADA resource person - be it an advisor or a special office - at your college. A note taker might be just the thing, and a lot cheaper than a new laptop as the school pays for it. Though that lighter laptop would be awfully nice....

The social thing is hard - I was never a late night person even before lupus. So the college scene was pretty lost on me as well. If there are things you enjoy, consider joining a group on campus that has those interests. I know our campus has dozens of groups ranging from Black Student Association to Fashion to Feminists to political groups. Many of their meetings are during the day, as they work with faculty advisors.

Even if you can't take a full load, keep at the studies. It is so worthwhile in the longer run.
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

Thank you for the wonderful advice and words of encouragement.
    I'm going to talk to my Dean about the note-taking and maybe suggest to my parents that a new laptop might not be a bad idea. (Heh).
    Most of the time I feel O.K., the medications that I take keep everything pretty much under control...
    But there are some days, like this past week, where my hands and elbows and shoulders start swelling and get really stiff and my rash gets really prominent...
    Seriously, I am so tired of people being like "ARE YOU REALLY WARM? DO YOU HAVE A FEVER? YOUR FACE IS RED."
    I stay out of the sun as much as possible and I wear sunscreen and so on...
    Siiiiighhhhh.

I've had some good conversations with people these past few days, at school, and I've disclosed the fact that I have lupus.
    What surprises me is that NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IT IS.
    I mean, come on! Some people are like "Oh that girl from America's Next Top Model had it," or "That's that thing from House, right?"
    But most people are like "Oh I dunno what that is."
    Seriously? Come on. I go to a WOMEN'S COLLEGE. Lupus affects young women.
    HOW DOES NO ONE KNOW WHAT IT IS?!

I want to start spreading awareness around campus... but I kinda don't want to preach the fact that I have it.
    Rrrrrrgggghhhh...
    Life. Rar.