Thread: New to the Support Forum, a year into the Illness

Thanks

Default New to the Support Forum, a year into the Illness

Hi!
    I'm a 19 year old college student who was diagnosed with lupus a little over a year ago. I have yet to have positive blood tests, but I have all of the symptoms of lupus and am receiving treatment for the disease.
    My mother has lupus and recently discovered that she also has rheumatoid arthritis. We are beginning to suspect that this may be the case for me as well.
    I am also dealing with major depressive disorder and fibromyalgia so basically... my life is a little painful.
    Not to mention that the stress from school makes everything worse.
    Last semester I had to leave school early because I developed mono and it joined forces with my lupus and just decimated my white blood cell count. Absolutely decimated. There were talks of blood transfusions and hospitalizations... I just decided to go home.

I've joined this support forum in the hope that I can find some people dealing with the same things I am: college, lupus, and people who just can't understand.
    I'm also looking for a lupus support group in the Bryn Mawr area of Pennsylvania. If anyone knows of one, please contact me.
    And, maybe if the universe favors me this once, I can find a fellow BMC student who is dealing with lupus?...

Thanks

Welcome cuttlefish

Other's will be along to greet you soon. I'm sure you will find others who identify with your situation. There is a wide range of ages on this board.

I'm a 48 yr female. My mother had lupus and my sister has it. I've a positive ANA test and a boarder line ANA, but as yet I am not diagnosed. :roll:

I also have numerous symptoms, but my rheumatologist does not support lupus diagnosis for anyone as she feels that's just a term that doctors use when they don't know the cause of the illness :P

Fortunately I found this site and they have been very informative and supportive here.

Sounds like you have a lot to deal with and you are very aware of your condition. I look forward to seeing you on the board.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi Cuttlefish,
    Welcome to the site. I am 49 and have had Lupus for most of my life. I did not get diagnosed though until I was 36. I hope that you can find another student in your college that has Lupus and that you can relate to. Please keep posting as there are a lot of good folks that come here and they are very knowledgeable.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Cuttlefish;
    I am not in PA nor am I a student at BMC. I just wanted to add my welcome to those that you've already received.
    You are young and are dealing with a lot. I hope that we can help you by giving you support, information and understanding.
    Welcome to our family

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!