Thread: how long

Thanks

Default how long

how long do your flare ups last? my doctor seems to think only ppl with the butterfly rash on the face for 1 month + has lupus. i have almost all other signs of lupus plus a + ana test but because i dont get the rash for more the a week or so i dont have it. so plz how long do you flares last?

Thanks

Hi mj_stroud

Flares can be quite short or (unfortunately) quite long. I have some that only last a day or two but are very severe, and I have had ones lasted close to a month.

I do not believe there is any rhyme or reason to how a flare will behave. The main thing you can do for yourself, is keep you stress levels down, eat properly, get the rest you need and exercise.

Be the healthiest you that you can be is the best way to avoid flares. That doesn't mean that you'll never get a flare, but I believe it helps you to deal with them better.

I'm sure the others will be along to add information to your question.

Hope you are feeling well.
    Oh look ... a cookie

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi mj_stroud,

Welcome. My flares are almost constant. They never really go away, they just become less intense every two or three days, followed by a swing back into a full flare. Flares are as individual as the person who gets them, no two are exactly alike. Makes Lupus awfully confusing for patients as well as doctors. In regards to the butterfly rash on the face being part of the diagnostic criteria, I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus in 2004, and I have NEVER had a butterfly rash on my face. I do get rashes on my upper arms, ankles and upper legs, but never on my face. You may want to let your Dr. know that many people like me are diagnosed with Lupus and have no facial rash at all. Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have, or if you just need to talk, there are some good listeners here. Once again, welcome!

Rob

Thanks

Hi Mj
    I think you need to see another doctor big time. I have had the Malar Rash on my face, but not constantly. The Malar Rash does not have to last over a month to have Lupus. There are folks that never have this rash and still have Lupus, like Rob, he has never had the Malar Rash. I think you need to see another Rheumatologist. Keep posting ok.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Default thanks

thank you guys. i have done alot of resurch into lupus the last few days and i am very upset at my doc. did you know that only 42% get the buterfly rash? let a lone staying for a month +. but thats the army for you... just brush everything off like its nothing. my doc made me feel like i was nuts to even think i would have lupus. any ways thanks again everyone! it helped a lot!

Thanks

Hey mj_stroud

I've had the butterfly rash since I was 19 yrs old. I'm 48 now and I'm still not diagnosed. The lesson here is; push no matter what the doctor's think they know.

Arm yourself with information and make them address your symptoms. My doctor just kept saying she didn't understand why I was still swelling. If I hadn't pushed her I doubt she would have actually moved to help me get it under control.

You are not crazy lazy or stupid, so don't let the doctor's treat you that way. Way to many of us have been called those exact things. It makes me sick thinking about the lack of awareness doctors seem to have about lupus. Not all of them, but way to many of them just dont bother to education themselves on the subject.

Hope you get the answers you need.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hi MJ
    I think that you need to see a civillian Rheumatologist, because in my opinion, military doctors are useless to say the very least. I know that they would not even listen to me and I did not get diagnosed until I got to see a Civilllian Rheumatologist. Is there a way for you to get to see a Civillian Rheumatologist? I sure hope so. Post and let us all know ok. We are all here for you and we all care very much about what is happening with you. Oh I forgot to mention that I served in the United States Navy many years ago and am a veteran. I know about the military doctors big time.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Agree with the above - you need a new doc! Keep researching, that is so very helpful. As you've learned, some of us never get the "classic" rash. I've never had it.

Gentle hugs to you -
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)