Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place to live for a lupus patient?

Thanks

Default Best place to live for a lupus patient?

Is anyone aware of any studies that track how lupus patients in general fare in different cities? In other words, are some cities (based strictly on geography and climate) better suited for lupus patients? I imagine Seattle wouldn't be bad based on the amount of cloud coverage. Then again, harmful UV rays still come through on cloudy days, don't they?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Systemic lupus erythematosus is also called SLE or simply, lupus. It is a disease characterized by general symptoms of feeling bad, arthritis, and skin lesions, with gradual or rapid progression to serious manifestations, such as pneumonia, disabling arthritis, and kidney failure. Lupus is a member of the group of diseases called "collagen diseases," which include also rheumatoid arthritis, dermatomyositis, and others. Lupus often starts with a fever of unknown cause which lasts for days, weeks or months. A rash, typically in the "butterfly area" of the face, may begin at that time. The disease is caused by an alteration in the chemical structure of collagen, a type of connective tissue fiber especially common in blood vessels, lungs, kidneys, skin, and the lining membranes of joints and body cavities. The organs where the connective tissue collagen fibers are most numerous will be most severely afflicted by the disease symptoms.
    There have been studies done to see if there are geographic causations for lupus, but all of these studies have either been inconclusive or discarded because of inaccurate methods. So far, Lupus has been found to occur in all types of geographic locations, from very cold climates to very hot climates...from sunny climates to rainforest-type climates. The occurance has more to do with the chemical structure in certain ethnic races than geographic location of the patients.
    I hope that I have been helpful to you.
    PEACE AND BLESSINGS :lol:
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks, Saysusie. Yeah, this was helpful. But to clarify, I was wondering if living in one part of the country has proved more beneficial to lupus patients than living in another. Has anybody had the experience of moving from one city in America to another and found that their condition improved dramatically, or otherwise?

Thanks

Interesting topic. I come from Leicester England--right in the centre ofEngland although ~I don't live in the city. Its heavily populated. Climate very different to USA much damper generally I think.I personally cannot cope with very hot, very cold or very damp--is there anywhere left.

Val

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi;
    I agree with Val...I moved from a rather moist, temperate climate to a hot and dry climate thinking that the change would help. It did help my son's asthma a bit, but did absolutely nothing for me!! On the nice hot dry days, I am still in jeopardy due to the sun. On the cold, moist days, my bones and joints ache. I think that, no matter where we live, we will have to deal with or protect ourselves from some part of our illness.
    Unfortunately, Lupus is not exactly like arthritis where climate does make a difference!! At least not for most of us :?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default i must avoid the cold myself

being in the cold causes me geat PAIN!
    i find the temperate climate of south florida in fall and winter very kind to my health.
    i get bronchitis a lot, especially when exposed to cold dry air, as when i visit my parents in SC during the winter and their "heat pump" blows drafty air through the house. i have to humidfy.
    i had bronchitis 3 times last year- two in winter. i kicked it in record time this last time with homeopathic medicine! a new and blessed discovery that made me very happy. norammyl i'm out for 2 weeks, but the stuff was gone 2 days after i got the homeopathic med. hooray!
    so, for me, staying out of extreme cold. i literally lose all feeling in hands and feet if i'm in 60 degrees or lower without a topasty coat, and 50 or lower even with a coat.

i had some time ALONE at a time share (my mom had one week she ahd to burn at her time share and gave it to me) and i was AMAZED at the difference it amde to have a place to myself, do some swimming (that has been the most therapeutic thing for me- even when i was too weak to walk i cold swim)- the pool was as warm as a bath!- relaxed and played bingo (!!!) i was pain free for like a week. normally i have to take 1-3 advil to go to sleep, adn often get out fo bned in the middle of the ngiht and take more.

i took none for that week and week after. it was a real lesson in what being kind to myself for a week and actually relaxing and getting away from it all - even people i love-can do for my health.
    Carla
    Professional Smart Aleck
    www.carlau.com
    "A clown is like an aspiring, only is works twice as fast."- Groucho Marx

Thanks

Carla
    Becareful when you take alot of advil or any kind of IBpro. My lupus effected my liver after I had been taking alot of different medications for my pain. My doctors prescribed Tylonol 3 with codine for me when I normally went to bed because it seemed like all the pain occured during the night. I would make sure that if your taking some sort of pain medication to be sure to eat something small beforehand.
    *Sara*

Thanks

does anyone live in or near Atlanta, Ga? If so how does the weather affect you, if at all.

Thanks

Nicole, I am not in Atlanta, I'm about 5 hours south of there in Florida. I know their weather is similar to ours. When we get a lot of rain, seems that is when I hurt the most. And since this is hurricane season it's having a good old time with my body. Usually tho the weather here isn't too bad on me, so long as I stay out of the sun.

Thanks

I'm in Northern IL.

What I've found is that I'm a bit better in the winters - as I can stay cool enough without difficulty. In the summer, it is AC or well covered outside. We have hot - humid weather as well - though not as steamy as the south!

I don't know, I think that no matter what, the weather just IS, and we may have differing reactions to it. I had a chance to move to the SW USA, but decided against it - the sun and heat would have been too much.