Thread: Lyrica

Thanks

Default Lyrica

Anyone familar with this medication? I am on 200 mg 3x daily so that is 600mgs total. My old doctor ramped me up twice untl we found this dosage that helps. Now we are in a new state and have a new doctor. I went to see her twice now. She didnt say anything while there about my dosage. Because of some insurance issues that needed ironing and prior auths needed I was getting a few samples from her for it. Well she has her nurse call and say I am on way to high a dose and I should only be taking 75 mg twice a day.
    That does have any effect on me. I have now been without the lyrica since sunday night. My elbows knee and other joints are feeling more pain.I remember this from when trying to find the correct effective dosage.

Can anyone tell me is a normal dose 150 per day? And how about her arbitrarily changing my dose without talking to me? I dont like it.

K

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lyrica (aka: Pregabilin) is a fairly new drug that has been shown to have success with the pain of Fibromyalgia. It is also used for treating pain caused by neurologic diseases such as postherpetic neuralgia as well as seizures. Pregabalin binds to calcium channels on nerves and may modify the release of neurotransmitters (chemicals that nerves use to communicate with each other). Reducing communication between nerves may contribute to pregabalin's effect on pain.

The most common side effects of pregabalin are dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, edema (accumulation of fluid), blurred vision, weight gain, and difficulty concentrating. Other side effects include reduced blood platelet counts, and increased blood creatinine kinase levels. Increased creatinine kinase can be a sign of muscle injury, and in clinical trials three patients experienced rhabdomyolysis (severe muscle injury). Therefore, patients should report unexplained muscle pain, tenderness or weakness to their doctors, especially if associated with fever and malaise (reduced well-being). Pregabalin has rarely been associated with angioedema (swelling of the face, tongue, lips, and gums, throat and larynx).

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Information from Pfizer (the manufacturer of Lyrica)

Management of Fibromyalgia

The recommended dose of LYRICA for fibromyalgia is 300 to 450 mg/day. Dosing should begin at 75 mg two times a day (150 mg/day) and may be increased to 150 mg two times a day (300 mg/day) within 1 week based on efficacy and tolerability. Patients who do not experience sufficient benefit with 300 mg/day may be further increased to 225 mg two times a day (450 mg/day). Although LYRICA was also studied at 600 mg/day, there is no evidence that this dose confers additional benefit and this dose was less well tolerated. In view of the dose-dependent adverse reactions, treatment with doses above 450 mg/day is not recommended [see Adverse Reactions]. Because LYRICA is eliminated primarily by renal excretion, the dose should be adjusted for patients with reduced renal function (creatinine clearance less than 60 mL/min - see Patients with Renal Impairment) [see Dosage and Administration].