Thread: thank you saysusie

Thanks

Default thank you saysusie

Thank you so much for your information, it was very helpful. I'd like to hear form people who have experienced this disease in particular so that I can learn more about it. do you think someone in this forum knows something about it. Do you know if it is some cure for this syndome or what kind of medication is better to at least relieve the pain?
    sorry that I am bombarding you with so many questions but I am new to this and I really don't know any other way to do it.
    What is your case? I mean... you have lupus, don'y you?
    thank you very much for everything. I hope you are ok.
    sabrina

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here is what I found out about treatment for Sjogren's Syndrome:
    The treatment usually attempts to relieve the effects of chronic dryness by increasing lubrication and moisturization. Artificial tears is used, but some may cause irritation. Collegen plugs have been effective in increasing moisture in the conjunctiva and cornea. Pilocarpine (Salagen) or bromhexine have been used as systemic agents with varied success. Plaquenil is used for several reasons:
    1. the fatigue and joint pain associated with the primary Sjogren's Syndrome.
    2. to decrease the levels of autoantibodies and sedimentation rates.
    Corticosteroids and/or immunosuppressive agents (cytotoxic drugs) have been used for the vasculitis, lung involvement and kidney invovlment. These are to be use with great care as they increase the risk of lymphoma.
    PROGNOSIS: People with secondary Sjogren's Symptom seem to have a milder disease. Early diagnosis and treatment are important with routine follow-up. As with Lupus, there does not seem to be a cure for the syndrome and the cause is also unknown. I know of no one else who has the diseas. However, everything that I have read has said that it is not life threatening, even though it may last for the life of the patient!
    Let me know if I have answered your questions. I am glad to know that you are so willing to help your mother and to learn about her disease. I am sure that she truly appreciates you!
    Blessings to you both
    Saysusie

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh - I forgot
    Yes, I do have SLE. I am currently in remission. This site was set up in memory of my daughter who succumbed to complications of SLE on Dec. 10, 1999!