Thread: Hello, I have dermographism.

Thanks

Default Hello, I have dermographism.

Hello, I have dermographism. I am 17 years old and I have had this for as long as i can remember. I have never went to the doctors with this or actually payed attention to this because I have always thought that other had the same problem as me. But about 2 years ago i found out different. And I was wondering if anyone have this same problem? And what can I do to make it not itch so badly, My leg is all scared up because of this. There is patches of black that looks like brooses. So anyone got any suggestions?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Hassle; I am sorry that it took me so long to respond to you. My daughter suffered from dermographism at the onset of her disease. It was her first symptom and we were told that it was stress related.
    Dermographism is a common form of chronic hives. It is also known as "skin writing". Dermographism is the most common form of a subset of chronic hives known as physical hives. It occurs in some degree in about 5% of the population
    People with dermographism experience a linear, itchy hive within minutes of stroking the skin with an object. This is in contrast to the linear reddening that does not itch seen in healthy people who are scratched. The hives appear within minutes and resolve within hours.
    The tendency to be "dermographic" lasts for weeks to years. In most cases the cause is unknown, although it may be preceded by a viral infection, antibiotic therapy, or emotional upset.
    Dermographism can appear at any age but is most common in young adults. The onset is usually gradual, but in some the condition develops over a few days.
    People with dermographism are usually otherwise healthy. Occasionally patients may have thyroid disease.
    Many authors have noted there is an important nervous factor. Attacks of itching and subsequent weals from scratching occur at intervals and may be related to agitation and worrying situations.
    Symptoms are often worse in hot conditions, for example, after a warm bath.
    Minor pressure from clothing, chair seats, working with various tools, clapping the hands or energetic kissing, etc., may start up the weals.
    They may develop after exercise if it is accompanied by knocks or pressure on the skin such as in rugby, wrestling or boxing.
    Towelling after bathing may start weal production.
    Once a few weals develop, subsequent scratching readily starts others in the vicinity. The weals are usually on the surface but some deep extension may occur and giant weals develop. However, these swellings die away rapidly and usually clear after half to one hour.
    Dermographism can occur with other types of urticaria(hives) including those due to cold or pressure.
    Dermographism may last for months or go on indefinitely. In many patients, however, it clears within a year or two, or at least the wealing is reduced to a degree which no longer causes significant symptoms.
    Treatment
    If you have dermographism, seek your dermatologistor doctor's advice.
    Antihistaminesoften give good relief from symptoms. The new non-sedating ones are generally preferred. Treatment may need to be continued regularly for at least several months; intermittent therapy is of less value.
    You should also avoid hot baths or showers, rough towelling down and rough clothing against the skin.
    I hope that this has been helpful to you. Let me know if you need anything more.
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie