Thread: Hi a returning member

Thanks

Default Hi a returning member

Hi all, I'm sorry I've been away for a while, just been very busy! I am getting ready to take my very first plaquenil in hopes that it will help so I'm joining myself back to the group to get support and give support!

I'm Amy, married to Dave and mommy to Gabe. I'm 31 and my son is 2. We both have birthdays in October. I am coming up on my one year anniversary as a nurse! I earned my RN license last year! I enjoy my job but it is very hard on my body! 12 hour shifts are hard on the joints!

I do not have lupus however have been diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disease and fibromyalgia. I have a positive ANA and have joint pain in the hands and feet primarily. I have been an insulin dependent diabetic since the age of 12 (another autoimmune issue) and have dermographia (also believed to be related to autoimmune issues) and have degenerative disk disease. So I sometimes feel like I've been through the ringer! But I enjoy life and love my family and friends. The greateast gift to me has been the birth of our son. He is our miracle baby and I love him with all of my heart.

I was diagnosed with the UCTD about 2 years ago and have been taking tramadol and what not but have since been given the ok by my eye doctor to take plaquenil so I"m starting it tonight, I saw my rheum again today and got the rx. I cannot take nsaids b/c of having gastric bypass surgery and a very tiny stomach with some major acid problems and I can't do steroids b/c of my blood sugar issues so I'm taking darvocet until the plaq. kicks in, she said it could be 4-6 weeks or 6-8 weeks I can't remember LOL!

So I hope to meet more ppl like me!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Amy;
    Welcome back :lol: I'm glad that you are here and you will certainly receive as much support as you need from our members.
    Plaquenil does take some time before you really feel its benefits. I'm glad to hear that you doctor gave you something to help your symptoms in the meantime.
    Undifferentiated Connective Disease is a chronic inflammatory autoimmune disease, involving a disorder of the body's connective tissues that may have multiple conditions, related or not, but, at its base lies a connective tissue disease that has not developed to the point of being easily identified and/or diagnosed. Sometimes, UCTD can develop into a specific disease (such as Lupus) and sometimes it may develop into Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD). With Mixed CTD, there is evidence of several different connective tissue diseases (such as Lupus, Scleroderma, Polymyositis, Vasculitis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, and Fibromyalgia, as well as other autoimmune diseases), all existing at the same time within the same body.
    One of the reasons Undifferentiated CTD is so difficult to pinpoint is that many of the Rheumatic diseases share similar characteristics, both in their symptoms and in their lab test results. This is why physicians are hesitant to put a definite tag on something which could turn around and evolve into something completely different.
    There are treatments available for UCTD, relying on many of the same treatments for other connective tissue diseases and autoimmune conditions. There may be a need for several types of medications needed to address the different symptoms and problems related to this disease. As is the case with Lupus, with a good doctor, the proper diagnosis and care, Undifferentiated (or Mixed) Connective Tissue Disease can be dealt with and managed.
    You are always welcome to come here to us for questions, concerns, information, comradere, or if you just want to vent. We are always here to help in any way that we can.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!