Thread: Lupus Veteran.. New to WeHaveLupus.com

Thanks

Default Lupus Veteran.. New to WeHaveLupus.com

Hello to everyone from Sussex County, NJ!
    I am 47 and was diagnosed with Lupus 15 years ago. Even after that amount of time I still run into new symptoms and illnesses, side effects from meds, etc. I worked for one company for 26 years. I never thought I would be the victim of discrimination.. it shouldn't have suprised me: other people with chronic health problems had been discriminated against also. Starting in '01 my department answered to a new senior vice president who answered directly to the CEO. Working "that close" to the Executive floor means being politically correct and prim and proper all of the time (so they said). I guess Lupus, anxiety, and depression makes one less than desireable. I am suprised that I lasted up to 2005 :?

My next job took me from $20/hr to minimum wage:

I went to work for a wonderful Borders bookstore in Middletown, NY. I'd never been in retail before and it was a terrific experience.. until there were job cuts due to budgets.. The work was still great but became taxing. I hated to leave, but I had trouble working for more than two hours straight.

Right now, I'm working with Social Security (and Binder & Binder) to get disability. I want to get back into the workfield again.. but, as all of you SHOULD know: YOUR HEALTH COMES FIRST!!! No matter what anyone says. That I learned a longggggg time ago.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.. LOL
    Stay happy and get healthy!
    Cindy

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Cindy;
    Welcome to our family! There are many of us here who have had to give up our jobs due to our Lupus. It is not uncommon for employers to hide discrimination behind the line that they are either scaling down, or they are in a budget crisis. And, sometimes, they are actually blatant about their discrimination claiming that your work is substandard!
    However, you are absolutely correct. Our health must come first and we must do all that is possible to avoid undue stress. I hope that your bid for disability is successful.
    This site is filled with people who are informative, caring, supportive and very understanding. I am glad that you are here and I hope that we can provide you with some of what you need!

Once Again...Welcome
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thank you, Saysusie!

Yes, I'm sure I am not alone in job discrimination due to Lupus. What really floored me was that I had worked for the company right out of high school.. When I reached 20 years there, the word discrimination was not in my everyday vocabulary.. :?
    Oh well, go figure!

Glad to be apart of the group!
    Cindy
    A friend is someone who
    knows the song in your heart
    and gives you the words
    when you've forgotten them.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Cindy,

Welcome! I was diagnosed with SLE back in 2004. It's always good to see a person like yourself who has managed and lived with their lupus for so long. It gives hope. I'm sorry about your problems at work. Discrimination in all it's forms is an ugly thing. I've been on full Social Security Disability since 2005, and it has really kept me above the water financially. I hope you can get your situation worked out.

That's great that you got to work at Borders for awhile. If I worked there, I would probably end up owing them money at the end of the week! I can get lost in their military history section for hours, and spend money I don't have! And you are 100% correct when you say your health comes first. Words to live by. I think you'll enjoy it here. Lots of great people, and tons of support. Once again, welcome.

Rob