Thread: QUIRKY SYMPTOMS . . .

Thanks

Default QUIRKY SYMPTOMS . . .

I have high blood pressure to go along with a lot of other weird and quirky symptoms. It seems like from time to time, I get into a spell of "overheating" that is very scary and odd. If I get too hot, either in a bath or just in an environment, I go into a sort of stress mode - with blood pressure spiking high. I then have to get a large glass of cold water, get off any hot clothes and wash my face, the back of my neck, behind my knees, inside my elbows and keep a cool rag on those places for about an hour. My eyes go all wonky with all sorts of zig zagging lights and I have to just get cool as possible and lie down flat for a couple of hours. I shudder and shake from the cooling down process; but I finally cool down, drink large amounts of water to help me cool down, then sometimes I just go to sleep. When I wake up the next morning, I am totally drained.

I have quit taking soaky baths and now just try to shower in tepid water. At first, I didn't realize what was exacerbating this problem and I would take long soaky baths in hot, hot water; then I would wrap up my head in a towel, put on a flannel nightgown (in winter), lie down under heavy cover and go to sleep. I'd then wake up an hour later in abject distress and have to be taken to the ER where they would chew on me endlessly about my "blood pressure". That was happening a few years ago, but after about the fifth or sixth trip to the ER, we finally figured out that it was happening every time I took a hot bath. DUH! - So, I quit that, and now it's just when I sit in a too hot room or otherwise get too hot. Then I just ride it out, take a blood pressure pill, drink cool water, sponge off with cool water and get out of any hot clothing.

Does anyone else have anything like this and, if so, what do they do about it? - I am sure if I could lose any appreciable amount of weight, it would make all the difference - but I can't seem to hardly lose anything in the past five or six years. - Some of the bp meds they gave me over time has caused me to retain a lot of fluid and have a big appetite. I'm 62 and long past my "skinny" years. :cry:

Wanda

Thanks

I get over heated from hot baths too. I'm 34 with high bp as well I take meds for. When you drink water to cool off make sure its cool, not cold. Cold water makes your body more hot. It heats up to warm the water coming into the body. Cool or room temp water keeps the bodies core from heating up. Sometimes I get so flushed and light headed, feel as if I'll pass out if I don't cool down. Since I'm not old enough for hot flashes due to menapause, I get told must be hot flashed due to pms. Well I'm not pms all the time, but being hot easy does get blamed on hormones a lot. I keep a wet rag around, one in a baggie in the fridge too. It helps a lot. My baths and showers are very warm at most now. Its the temp I call "hot" now. Life is what it is at times, go figure :lol: . The things we have to learn to deal with can be annoying. Hope you stay cool Wanda .
    Cheryl

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Wanda,

I have the same problem you do. I get overheated very easily, and my temp does not want to come back down. I can't sit in a hot tub anymore, or even take a lukewarm bath or shower. Water above about 80 degrees is physically painful, where I feel like I'm being scalded with boiling water.

The only thing I can do is try to avoid situations where I overheat. One of the main reasons I moved from Arizona back to my childhood home in Maine is my temperature intolerance. I don't know if a persons weight has any bearing on the problem. I'm right where I should be weight wise for my height and age, so for me, weight isn't the cause.

I get overheated just cleaning house at a slow pace with the A/C set on 60 degrees. Before my SLE diagnosis, when I was in the Army, I did alot of desert warfare training, and I had a very high tolerance for heat. It never really bothered me, so I know something is very different in my body today that was not there a few years ago. Strange stuff.

Thanks

Just a bit of FYI (as Im sure you know this too, Rob) - that one of the main sympotms of MS is heat intolerance. Now, Im NOT saying you have MS, Wanda, AT ALL - but I know with Rob, and his having MS - that is probably his culprit. When the heat didnt bother you before, Rob, it was probably before you had any lesions that would affect your body's tolerance to heat.
    Just a tidbit of info...
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

You are quite right Lauri. I didn't want to throw MS into the mix lest others might think they have MS too. Lupus is enough to worry about! Anyway, I've been struggling to understand which of my symptoms are SLE related, which are MS related, and which ones are a combination of both. Heat intolerance is one of the more common MS symptoms, but my mother, who only has SLE, has terrible problems with heat intolerance. It's all pretty confusing, figuring out what is causing what. How's everything down Boston way? It's getting cold up here already.