Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tongue troubles

Thanks

Default Tongue troubles

I've recently started to bite my tongue when I talk. Its quite a strange feeling and I'm trying to work out if its on a certain sound (tongue position).

When it happens, its my back teeth that seem to catch the back of my tongue on both sides. It isn't painful really 'cos its just a light sort of pressure. Nothing like biting your tongue when you're eating.Its almost as though my tongue is too big.......but its not.....or it doesn't appear to be.

I've never done this before in my life. Any ideas anyone?

ColleenT

Thanks

Hi Colleen,
    I am wondering if your doctor has tested you for Sjogrens? Are you having a dryness of the mouth or anything like that? I never had a problem biting my tongue, but I sure have the moth dryness to the point where it affects my vocal chords, due to the Sjogrens. I hope that someone can answer this for you and I am sure they will have some answers for you in here.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Hi Collen..

And how are you this Friday , aside from making a meal out of your tongue...Ouch....

I bite my tongue or cheek every once in a blue moon, especially while chewing gum which is for Sjogren's dry mouth relief..regardless if I toss the gum...

I find the more I tried not too, once it happened the more likely I am to bite it a second time...

Has there been a possible shift in teeth..a new crown, filling?

Eating more salt? Food containing MSG?

Hope you find something, the cause, a prevention...

Hugs,
    LOve,
    OLuwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

You should see your doctor. I'm wondering if your jaw or bite may have shifted or changed.

I have arthritis in my jaw...I've had a few interesting moments because of this. Part of my problem is grinding my teeth at night. I wear a bite plate if I find I need to.
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Thank you for your replies.

I do have Sjogren's and at the moment my voice is very raspy. I had to have speech therapy for 3 months last year, before being diagnosed, and i feel I am just about back to where I was. The probnlem seems to be that because it becomes difficult to talk i strain my voice which makes it all worse.

Oluwa, I too have become a gum chewer 'cos of the SS. No new crowns or fillings so I think my teeth have remained stable.

SITC I get bad jaw pain and perhaps that has something to do with it....

I have an appointment with a neurologist on Friday. We'll have to work out if my epilepsy is related to all this or not. Grrrr. Feeling a bit weepy today.

TTFN
    ColleenT

Thanks

Colleen

It is so hard when something new hits us. I am sorry that you are having this new problem.
    Its okay to cry....i'd give you one of Oluwas head hugs but she gives them so much better. I'll give you a warm fuzzy instead.

Take care my friend,
    Kasey

Thanks

Whew Kasey, thanks so much.

Don't know why I'm a bit run down and depressed. I'm not usually like this. I cried when I read your sweet message. Isn't it funny how we do that? As soon as someone is really nice to you when you're feeling a little blue , the tears pop out.

I've wiped them away now (that's how long it takes me to type )

Hugs
    Colleen

Thanks

Hi coleen, I have sjogrens also. The same thing is happening to tounge. My tonge has actually cracked down the middle and the sides, and like all cracks it has split open. just about everything hurts it. anyway, for the dryness of your mouth, there is a rx called numoisyn. it's a little lozenger you suck on to help with dessert mouth and throat. Sometimes it feels like my tongue is swolen, but I think it being cracked and all, it is a bit bigger then normal. There is also a eye drop that helps much better than regular eye drops. It's from bauschelamb called soothe xp. I think this is over the counter. my ruemy had me get them. Don't freak if your eyes are a little blurry at first and it leaks out white, it's worth it. You might also want to drink a lot of water and drown your skin in lotion. I hope you will start feeling better soon. sorry about all the mistakes in spelling and such.Sometimes I forget how to spell things. ops:

Thanks

dlavietes, sorry I've taken so long to reply to your note.

Sadly I lost my Dad on the 13th Aug and I spent about 2 weeks with my Mum in the Cape (I live in South Africa). When I got home and eventually logged on to the Forum it was off line!!

So what I want to say is thank you for your response and advice. My tongue doesn't crack I just get this slurry speech where my tongue doesn't really want to do the right thing and gets caught in my back teeth! Sounds as though I've been drinking!! It doesn't happen all the time but some days are much worse than others.

My GP had referred me to a neurologist and I was due to see him on the Friday. But when I received a call on the Thursday that my Dad had taken ill, my priorities were changed and I cancelled the appointment and flew to the Cape.

I've phoned to book an appointment but have not yet been given one. Just have to wait patiently.

All the best,
    Colleen

Thanks

Coleen,

I am so sorry about your father. Of course you need not apoligize. My tongue felt and stills feels like it's someone else's! I went around asking family and friends if I could look at their tongue's and for them to look at mine to see if it was swollen. Everybody pretty much thought I was crazy, :roll: imagine that! I'm really losing my frain of thought, I better go

Diana