Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trying to quit smoking

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default trying to quit smoking

I have been cutting back on my smoking since all the new issues have been coming up and lets face it, the money is also a big factor. my quit date is August first, but I am wondering about something. anyone know if the "stress" from quiting will cause a flare? I have been cutting back in preparation and for the last few days I have had really bad pains in my neck, shoulders and my hands. the meds are not even helping and tonight my knuckles are all swollen and red and I have small red bumps on my fingers (that part is REALLY new). I am gonna quit!!! but I just wanted to know if anyone has had the same thing happen to them.

Thanks

Lornak,
    I have no advice as I am still a smoker....Shame on me, I know...As no one should be smoking, I am REALLY stupid for smoking as I was in respitory failure a few years back, and suffered damage to my lungs. They told me back then that if I started to smoke again (which I did 4 years later) it could literally kill me...I started anyways...Stress, illness, family stress, money stress...all mitigating factors, but YES stupid nonetheless.
    I give you a lot of credit for quitting...it is not easy...but Im proud of you!!! Hang in there. Im not sure about the stress factor of quitting starting a flare, but maybe you could get some meds to keep your neves down? Or that new Cymbalta? (though I hears some TERRIBLE things about that medicine - BAD depression apparently)
    Either way, I wish you the best..I felt so much better the four years I didnt smoke...I have to quit eventually soon as well...
    Lvoe Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

Hi Lornak, I quit almost 3yrs ago after 12yrs smoking. I don't know if it causes flares, but it will cause body aches and pains. Don't give in, that will pass. At the most, about 2-3 wks depending on how often and strength of cigs you smoked. I used my tredmill for stress, even if sore and even if only a few minutes. After a month it was down hill from there. I thought I'd be honest, the first week's the hardest. Then each afters a little easier. For me cold-turkey was best, but everyone's different. Good Luck!!
    Cheryl

Thanks

Dont know anything about the flare ups with quitting but want to giveyou a great big HOORAH!!! for taking that on. I quit last summer. Had 10 weeks smoke free when I started again. Same supid reasons as pp. When I quit last time tho I used a patch and wellbutrin. Worked like a charm. Maybe give those a try?

Keep it up, one day again I will join ya.

K

Blog Entries
    Thanks

well guys,

yesterday was not totally smoke free, but I only had two. I think that is great for me. I usually smoke 1-2 packs a day.

so far today I have not had any. gonna try again for "nothing". I will let you know how it turns out. thanks for all the support!!!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

We are all in your corner! Good Luck and Congrats on only two cigs yesterday :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I started smoking when I was 27, yah I know...stupid. Anyway...for many yrs (I'm 48 now) I tried every method you can name to quit smoking.

Nothing worked. Frankly I like/liked smoking. I enjoyed it...I loved it...I looked foreward to it...get the picture?

My husband had a heartattack just over two yrs ago. He's doing fine. We both quit smoking then and there. Cept now I think he has started sneaking smokes again, but that's another story.

I quit cold turkey that time, cause I was fed up with "trying" to quit and nothing working for me.

So I toughed it out. I warned everyone around me to brace themselves cause this wasn't going to be pleasant but it was something I absolutely had to do.

And I frickN did it. I stll get cravings two yrs later. I still "miss" smoking. But for my sake and my husbands sake I can not ever give in.

Perhaps when I'm 80 and dont give a hoot any more...I'll smoke my brains out. But for now I'm smoke free and I am very proud of anyone who keeps trying to quit. It's the hardest thing I ever had to make myself do.

Good luck
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Only 2, yeah !! How'd you do today?
    Cheryl

Blog Entries
    Thanks

well today is Sunday and I am still on the "only two" deal. that is still good but my worst times are in the morning with the coffee and after supper. I am good the rest of the day. I just have to work on those two times. my coach is suppose to call on monday to see how I am doing and I will ask her for any suggestions. but thanks to all for the input and the support. I knew I could count on you guys!

Thanks

Those were my 2 worse. Went straight to dishes after dinner, kept busy. In morning I would find something I needed to do while sipping my coffee. Still only 2 is doing great!! Keep it up .
    Cheryl