Thread: Pain Meds

Thanks

Default Pain Meds

Code:
    Code:
    I have had Lupus for 3 years and have been on various meds like Plaquinel, Prednisone, Methotrexate, Hydrocodone.  REFUSE to go on steriods again due to very nasty side effects.  I still take plaquinel and hydro.  My problem is that the hydro doesn't work as good as it did when I first started taking it.  I am going to a pain mgmt dr. next month and would like to try something different for pain.  I do not want to be labeled as a "drug seeker" like so many other people I have talked to.  I just want my pain to be manageable.  Any suggestions on what I could ask the dr. to try??  Maybe the next step up from hydro to manage the breakthrough pain??  Thanks for your advice!!
    :cry:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

well mom,

I can tell you that I had/have the same issue and I was moved to Ultram. it works on the mind (not really the source of the the pain) and seemed to work for me. it is not considered a narcotic so it is easier to get and not addictive. I did not have any reactions from it, and I tend to have reactions to alot of things.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The goals for treating lupus include:
    * reducing inflammation caused by the disease
    * suppressing immune system abnormalities that are responsible for tissue inflammation
    * preventing flares and treating them when they do occur
    * minimizing complications

It is important that you thoroughly understand: the reason for taking a drug,
    its action, dose, administration times, and side effects. Having said that, here is a list of pain medications commonly used for Lupus and its symptoms:

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as Ibuprofen (e.g. brand names Advil, Motrin, Nuprin)- Naproxen (e.g. brand names Aleve, Naprosyn) - COX-2 inhibitors (e.g. brand name Celebrex). These drugs comprise a large and chemically diverse group of drugs that possess analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and antipyretic properties. Pain and inflammation are common problems in patients with lupus, and NSAIDs are usually the drugs of choice for patients with mild lupus with little or no organ involvement. Patients with serious organ involvement may require more potent anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive drugs.

There are many NSAIDs on the market, and new ones are constantly becoming available. Some NSAIDs can be purchased as over-the-counter drugs, whereas larger doses are available only by prescription.

The Facts of NSAIDs

The therapeutic effects of NSAIDs stem from their ability to inhibit the release of prostaglandins and leukotrienes, which are responsible for producing inflammation and pain. NSAIDs are very useful in treating:

joint pain
    inflammation and swelling
    muscle pain
    rib cage pain (pleuritic chest pain)

An NSAID may be the only drug needed to treat a mild flare; more active disease may require additional medications.

Although all NSAIDs appear to work in the same way, not every one has the same effect on every person. In addition, patients may do well on one NSAID for a period of time, then, for some unknown reason, derive no benefit from it. Switching to a different NSAID may produce the desired effects. Patients should use only one NSAID at any given time.

Ibuprofen (e.g. Advil, Motrin, Nuprin)
    Naproxen (e.g. Aleve, Naprosyn, Anaprox, Naprelan)
    COX-2 inhibitors (e.g. prescription brand Celebrex)

In addition to the above, NSAID's come in forms other than taking it orally. For example:
    * Toradol can be given as an intravenous drug, so it is useful after surgery or if the patient cannot eat.
    * Flector can be given as a transcutaneous form of Diclofenac. An NSAID administered through an adhesive patch applied to the skin can be useful because it does not give the patient a large dose of the drug systematically, which can reduce gastrointestinal and other potential side effects of NSAIDs.

Hope This Helps
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Default Pain meds

Thanks for the replies. I have also tried every NSAID on the market and also tried Ultram with not much relief. The dr. thinks I may also have Fibromyalgia so thats another cause of the pain. I just graduated in May from nursing school so I know the reasons for taking most of the meds. I also know the pain is alot worse when we are stressed out. I am taking my NCLEX exam on August 8th so I definitely am under stress with studying, taking care of 3 kids, 3 dogs and a husband who is my 4th KID!!!! I am getting alot of support so that helps too.....well we will see what the dr. says at my next visit. I wish everybody a pain free night!!!!