Thread: Article: Lupus Spouses.

Thanks

Default Article: Lupus Spouses.

This article touched my heart...

Lupus Spouses
    Karyn Moran Holton

If there's one thing that I can think of that would be worse than having to deal with lupus, it would have to be watching my husband deal with it. Don't get me wrong -- he's an amazingly strong individual, mentally, physically and spiritually. He is probably more "qualified" than I am to deal with the physical symptoms, the mental stress and the self-doubt that accompanies any chronic illness.

But I would give up half my soul if I thought it would help him avoid it entirely.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: It's difficult enough to be ill yourself, but it's immeasurably harder to watch a loved one battle an illness. I can only imagine how it feels to stand helplessly by while someone you love suffers through severe fatigue, crippling joint pain, sleepless nights, and mouth sores that leave them unable to eat. To spend endless nights in the hospital, just watching them breathe. To grit your teeth in pain (real and sympathetic) as your loved one grips your hand like a vise because the nurses have to make a fifth attempt at starting an IV.

It takes incredible character, strength, selflessness and an endless capacity for love to manage these things. How else (aside from Divine Intervention and Celestial Visitors) can you explain someone who loves a lupie? Talk about high maintenance? Lupies really win the prize in that category! Ivana Trump is easier to take care of!

Think about it: Lupus patients can be incredibly selfish. We are needy, demanding, short-tempered and cranky. We don't get enough sleep, we're in pain all the time and we have no patience for other people's problems. We can be whiny, self-centered, insensitive and distant. We lose our hair, get deforming facial rashes, gain weight from steroids, swell up from water retention and kidney failure and get nasal sores. When we're not burning up with fever, we have icy cold hands and feet from circulatory problems. (Makes you just want to cuddle right up with us, doesn't it?)

We need constant reassurance and affirmation, because we're always having some sort of emotional crisis. We feel useless because we can't work. We're tired of juggling meds, having tests and seeing doctors without any change in our symptoms. We feel ugly and unlovable because of physical symptoms, medication side effects or "just because"! We feel irresponsible because we have children and grandchildren that we can't play with or participate in activities with. We get angry because of our limitations. We become incensed because no one understands us and that @#$% neighbor made another insensitive remark about lazy housewives and we know that she was talking about us!

High maintenance, indeed.

For these and a million billion other reasons, I have to salute the unsung heroes of lupus: The spouses and significant others of lupus patients.

These are the people who tolerate our angry tirades against the world without judging us or labeling us as completely deranged. They sit endlessly in waiting rooms of doctors' offices, labs and hospital ERs. They hold us when we sob into our pillows with pain. They cook our favourite meals to coax us to eat. They drive countless miles because we can't. They work two (and sometimes three) jobs because we can't. They go to the softball games with the kids because we can't. And they do it all with heads high, uncomplaining and utterly selfless...because we can't.

These Angels-on-Earth do all this without benefit of doctors, medications or national organizations. They don't seek sympathy, and they don't make a habit of kvetching and complaining. They are mother and father to children, spokesperson to family and friends, patient advocate to healthcare personnel and unwavering light in the darkness to thousands of us.

While this article cannot make up for, pay back or even address the untold sacrifices of the lupus spouse, it can let you realize that we are aware of you. We recognize you. We know what you do every day (if not exactly why).

...And we are in utter awe.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank You so much for sharing this article. I remember my daughter saying some of those exact things; she's ugly, unlovable, B*!#chy and always too sick to do anything and, therefore, worthless! So, I'd like to add the parents and family members of Lupus patients to those unsung heroes (although I do not feel like a hero, I know that there are hundreds and hundreds of heroes out there!)
    Thank You Again!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Saysusie,

I completely agree!

Because I am a Lupus spouse (as opposed to parent or other family member), it didn't occur to me that the article addressed only spouses.

This is for EVERYONE who loves someone with Lupus, regardless of relationship. Hats off to each and every one of you.

True love (in any form) conquers all - even illness.

Thanks

I too have to agree that family members deserve a kudos times a hundred. My parents and grandmother, have been soo great through all of my ordeals. Everything from taking me to doctors appointments, to bringing me soup at 9pm because I'm finally hungry, telling me that I look beautiful even when I know that I've gain so much weight even laying on the bed doesn't button those jeans I love so much, taking me to the ER and sleeping in a chair all night when I've had to stay, being willing to do anything without question and ties, and just loving at times. Kudos to all family members who support their loved one, and who do things with and for them. Without you guys our fight would be much worse then it already is, but because we have you, it gives us hope, and encouragement to keep going and keep fighting.

Hugs,
    Robin
    Robin Lynn Byler
    Live, Laugh and Learn....you never know which one someone else is going to benefit from....!
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    robin.byler@hotmail.com

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Beautifully said, Robin. :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I don't know how I missed that article before but it is so well said and articulated. I am even going to give it to my husband, it should be a Hallmark Card. Thanks Karen for helping us express what we really feel deep down inside.

Thanks

Amen! I have only been married for 6 months. ( My first husband of 21 years left us. I guess he couldn't handle the Lupus, so he ran off with the nurse!) There are days when I ask my wonderful husband- ARE YOU INSANE??? You knew about this aweful stuff and married me anyway? He just smiles and says he'd do it all over again. Does God love me or what? My family is such a blessing! I'm gonna go home and let them know just how much I appreciate them for putting up with me! Thanks for the article!
    Blessings!
    Angie

Thanks

I love this article. I copy/pasted it onto the desktop of my computer and named it "Joe, read this" so when my fiance comes home he can read it. I just have to say that I have the best fiance. He is learning about this lupus thing through a crash course of ME! Last night, I was hurting and thinking about my mom who passed away last year. I got into a sobbing fit and he didnt say anything, just pulled me close to him in bed and patted my hair and rubbed my back. It makes me think of that song "You say it best, when you say nothing at all." I just love him so much. He's the light of my life, honestly. He's had some trouble adjusting to this whole mess, especialy since my mom died. But how he handled me last night was just amazing. I eventually cried myself to sleep. In the morning he didnt wake me like he normally does to say bye, just tucked me in and let me sleep because he knew I was exhausted from crying. He's just the best.