Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killer Headaches

Thanks

Default Killer Headaches

I've been having world-class headaches lately. This is not the first time, but these are just a bit different. I've got a history of migraines, although they were 'quiet' for a long while. These headaches vary. Sometimes they feel like a really nasty sinus headache - pressure around my eyes and cheekbones. Sometimes they feel like a tight band around my forehead. Sometimes just on one side of my head (almost always the left.) Two days ago I had one that had a new wrinkle. It was like a tight band around my head, but this time my temples were extremely sore to the touch. Just a slight rub of them, either side, was soooo painful. I finally took 4 ibuprofen with some coffee - makes the pain reliever work better. (My tummy won't like that, but it was that or just lay down and die!) It was gone by morning. I know my primary doc would tell me to go back on Atenolol (which I took for migraines for a long while) but these headaches just seem different. I'm reluctant to do that. Anybody have any ideas? Similar kinds of headaches? What do you do for them?

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

Hi Jody,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your headaches. Since I've been diagnosed, I've also been getting wicked migraines. I never got headaches before. My neurologist told me to use the Advil Liquid gels at the first sight of them (I usually start with eye pain) and also gave me a prescription for Vitamin B2. Apparently some studies have been done which have shown that Vitamin B2 can help prevent the onset of migraines in some people. I'm currently trying it out to see if it will help me, but it hasn't been long enough for me to know for sure. I will post in a few months to let you know if I've noticed a difference. He also suggested keeping a migraine diary so he could have data to work with like intensity during certain times of the month, potential triggers, etc. Hopefully some of this was useful to you!
    Be well!
    Kimmy

Thanks

Jody,

It sounds like a tension headache with the tight band feeling and a bit of migraine in the mix..I wish there was something I could recommend besides what you had tried with the coffee. Massage your neck, relax...destress about your other symptoms...wait..

I just did a Google..read here...
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ten...CTION=symptoms

Hopefully there is some info there that will help..

Hugs...
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Hi Jody, I get migraines too. Also sinus, tension, and cluster headaches as well. I see you take the meds with coffee too. I'm on atenolol for bp and migraine history. Try a headache diary like Kimmy suggested, it does help.

Found bright lights, bad smells and high pitch noises trigger mine. Also thru diary, realized a lot of my headaches were an allergic reaction to certain foods. Had no idea a headache could be an allergic reation, but doc said sometimes they can.

When I can't take more meds, or just don't want too, I use an old home remedy. Mix peppermint oil with a little pure grain alcohol and rub on head and neck were needed. The peppermint oil works on the headache while the alcohol kicks it in faster. Hope you get some relief very soon .
    Cheryl

Thanks

Jody,
    Those sound awful. Im sorry you are going thru that. I get similar except havent had the side headaches. I havent figured anything out to help get rid of them. I have to lay down and stay away from loud noises.pretty impossible around here. Oh wait I do use a cool cloth. I also massage my face and neck. Weirdly enuf I use the cap to a water bottle and rub(hard)on my face and neck. It seems that the counter pressure helps. It even helps when I use the edge of the cap on my neck when the muscles feel so tight. Sorta digging in there.
    I cant take any Nsaids cuz of my tummy troubles.
    Hope you get some answers soon.

K

Thanks

Hi,

I am no professional here- hell I can't even find normal doctors. But I have similar headaches, mine were so bad vicodin didn't even help them. I was diagnosed by two doctors with cluster headaches (actually cluster is a term used with men, for women it is a word I can't even say but I looked it up and it means cluster- can't they keep it simple!). Also, I had random tightness and spots that hurt to touch and my neurologist said that was from the vessels being inflamed. She put me on some medicine that is actually an antinflamatory along wtih pain meds... the antiflamatory did nothing for me. As a preventative med for the headaches she put me on a blood pressure pill (even when at the time mine BP was normal), I guess this opens the vessels more and I took 2 of these a day. Just a thought for you. I have been given great advice by wonderful people so this was one topic I think I can actually give some input on! I hope you feel better. I know mine were awful.. always on one side of my head. On a scale from 1-10 I gave it a 20!!

Thanks

Oh Jody - that is horrible...I know that tight band feeling. I compare it to like an air bubble in my head that feels like its going to pop! Maybe your lupus is inflamming the blood vessels in your head and thats why its more relentless than your usual headaches.
    I have heard of a headache powder - over the counter - I forget the name!! But its literally powder and you dissolve it in water. Ive heard ALOT of people rave about it...I think its straight asprin...
    I use Sudafed for the sinus pressure - it works wonders!!! Because it has pseudoephedrine in it, you have to get it from the clerk behind the counter, but you should really try it. I use that and Excedrin (which is like your coffee remedy, it has caffeine right in it) intermittently throughout the day, and it works for me. Some days, I just have to lay on my side in my bed and usually I pass out. When I wake, its gone mostly.
    Hope this helps!! Take care..
    Love lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

You've all given me some great ideas. I knew there would be some good suggestions out there. I'm going to try them. I just can't keep piling on the NSAIDs. The last headache really scared me - thought I'd just pass out from the pain.

Thanks so much, Friends. I'm printing all of your answers and keeping them for reference.

Jody
    "If you trust Google more than you trust your doctor than maybe it's time to switch doctors."

Thanks

The theobromine in chocolate, shrimp and shellfish, and aged cheeses used to cause me to have bad migraines with nausea and vomiting. I accidentally decided to leave off chocolate on the advice of a friend. - I left it off for three weeks - no headaches; then forgot and ate a candy bar; next morning was sick as a dog with a migraine. After that, I left it off for six years and didn't have a headache in all that time. Now, after several years, I reckon the chemical got out of my system and I can have the very occasional chocolate thing, but not very often. - Shrimp is even worse, so I don't eat it at all.

Wanda

Thanks

Hi Jody,

I have had the same, the liquid Advil wouldn't touch it. My doc RX'd Maxalt 10mg. Honestly, I haven't tried the samples he gave me yet. It has been a while since I have had one. You might want to ask your doc for some samples? I don't haev any other ideas. I am sorry to not be much help to day. Okay, fingers and brain are not syncing.

Faith