Thread: will an mri show join inflamation?

Thanks

Default will an mri show join inflamation?

I am getting an MRI on my shoulder and I want to know if it will show inflamation which could be pinching on a nerve? When I straiten my arm for 5 minutes my hand swells and turns purple. I want to make sure the MRI is the right test.

Thanks

Hey Jen,
    YES, the MRI is the best test (actually the ONLY test) that can see nerve damage. A CT is good, but not great. An Xray is useless.
    MRI is the way to go!!
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

Jen..

MRI can show pain, swelling or bleeding in the tissues in and around the joints and bones. Did they mention it will be done without or without contrast?

With contrast it is more sensitive in imaging soft tissue by contrasting it, darkening against the lighter....

Detailed MR images allow physicians to better evaluate parts of the body and certain diseases that may not be assessed adequately with other imaging methods such as x-ray, ultrasound or CAT.

Have you had an EMG done already? An electromyogram (EMG) measures the electrical activity of muscles at rest and during contraction. Nerve conduction studies measure how well and how fast the nerves can send electrical signals.

Hugs,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

thank you! People at my work think it is cool my hand can turn purple and swell but I am in so much pain and it is not fun! The rhuemy pushed where my shoulder joint is and that is where the pain stems from and it just goes down hill from there... I am ready to cry!

Thanks

Hey Jen...

I had Carpal Tunnel Surgery on my right hand. Before surgery it would swell up like a pack of Ball Park Franks and turn purple. I could not feel hot or could feel anything in my grip. An EMG diagnosed my strangled median nerve.

A EMG can determine where the nerve is being pinched for proper treatment. It runs from the neck..through the shoulder to the fingers.

I almost lost the use of my hand had I waited I was told by the neurosurgeon...took almost two years to return the feeling back in my nerves that fed my fingers...

When is this MRI..with you arm turning purple and swollen I hope it is today...

HUgs,
    Oluwa

Thanks

the mri is Friday. It only turn purple and swells when I am standing and my arm is straight, hanging down by my side. My shoulder hurts so I don't move that arm much so when I am standing and talking to someone it is straight by my side, then it will change color within minutes! I am telling you people at work think it is a trick!

Thanks

Is it numb, does it tingle?

L.,
    O.

Thanks

Um- it aches actually. But when it turns color I get sensations... tingling I guess, I can tell without looking it is turning color. But when it is not turning colors my wrist aches and sometimes my fingers. But my shoulder is the real painful thing. I have minumum movement with it. God, I sound nuts!!!!