Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Sick of Explaining Myself

Thanks

Default So Sick of Explaining Myself

Hi everyone -
    You know, I just need to vent.....Though my mom has been a bit better abbout my limitations since I have been officially diagnosed, she still has the ability to make me feel like I have to constantly explain myself if I cant do something.
    Today, we have a 2-year-old birthday party - OUTSIDE in 103 degree weather! Do I need to say more? My husband (at my request) called her and said "Listen, I dont think Lau should be going to this party - she'll end up in bed for a week"
    She said "Well, they do have a little cabana thats air conditioned and there is some shade...." He said, "Yeah, NO - shes not going"
    I called her and she tried to sell me the same goods. Why does she do this? Why doesnt she get it? Its not the heat, even, but that the sun could set all kinds of bad things off inside my body!! Im like crying right now because she is my mother, and I would thing SHE should be the FIRST one to say, "LaURI, you shouldnt go to this today - I dont want you to get sick" But, NO - i have ordered her a LUPUS BOOK (Daniel Wallace), but it hasnt arrived yet. I need to accept her indifference, but right now, its hard. Im so sick of flippin explaining myself to someone I shouldnt even have to explain ANYTHING TO!!! I can count at least FIVE people in my life who know more about my disease, and try to keep me well, more than my own mother. Actually many more. uuughhhhh!!!!
    I just have to let this go - turn it over to God....Thank God I have my womans meeting today - that ALWAYS helps, you know?
    Ill check in later, Im sure....Thanks for letting me blow off steam...
    Love Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

I hear ya. I m sorry that she is not there for you.
    (((((( lauri)))))

Kasey

Thanks

Hi Lauri..

You don't have to explain it to anyone. I always say... it causes me more stress to have them try to understand me, understand Lupus than it is for me to understand why they don't get it. I've tried the metaphors, the similar circumstances, relating to their experiences...They get it that day until the next incident, event comes along.

No, I know my limits...and leave if at that.
    No...leave it at that.
    I can't, not today, maybe tomorrow...and leave it at that.
    I would love to but I can't..and leave it at that..
    Hey I'm pooped...and leave it at that...
    I want to, but my body won't cooperate..and leave it at that...

We expect more understanding from our Mum's, with an illness or not...from those who we care about and those who cared about us when we have had a cold, a broken leg, or stitches. Unfortunately, no one can see inside pain, fatigue...unless we express it in our faces, because verbal communication usually makes us feel like we are whiners, we are weak..but you know we aren't..

And times...it is hard for people to see pain despite it is written all over our faces. It is look at as, are you upset...what's up with the scowl, grimace...Me, I have pain wrinkles in my face...when I am more relax my face planes out.

I think the best thing to do is to realize, accept they don't or may not understand Lupus. When you need that extra dose of love, kindness, tenderness...just ask for a hug..I need a head hug. Hug me, please...sometimes being vulnerable is easier to understand ...the emotional pain of being ill, the need.

Mum's are people. All of our relationship with our Mum's are different. Mine has passed...but I know she would have gotten it. Times I cry for her comfort...

I hope and pray you will find the understanding you need and seek....Head hugs.
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lauri;
    At the risk of being the devil's advocate here, I'm going to chime in as a mother who had a daughter with Lupus. I like to think that I was very understanding of her limitations, but I know that there were times when I just wished that SHE WAS NOT SICK! And in wishing so hard for that, I made comments and statements that were similar to your mother's.....you know the "Can't you just.........?" kind of stuff. It was not so much that I didn't understand, or that I didn't care....it was that I didn't want her to be sick and I thought that if she could do these things, then she would not be sick and I just wanted her to be able to participate!
    Granted, there is no logic to this kind of thinking....it is a mother's warped sense of helplessness that makes her say these stupid things..... Like the time that I wanted her to go to Disneyland and I offered to buy her a wheelchair so that she could go (that went over like a lead balloon). I told her that I was willing to do anything to make her comfortable, protected from the sun (sounds like the "cabana with air conditioning" huh?), and that we'd leave as soon as she said the word! That ended in a screaming match with her saying to me exactly what you've said about your mother. In a nutshell, asking me why I did not understand why she could not go, especially given that fact that I, myself, had Lupus! How could I be so ignorant? {I thank God that I always told my children that they could tell me anything about how they were feeling, if it was done respectfully! So, there were very few times when issues did not get worked out by talking}
    I had to finally admit to her why I did and said the things that I did and said. I told her that, from that point on, if I suggested something stupid like that again, to just give me her famous "are you kidding me?" looks and I would understand!
    I'm saying all of this to say to you that, it may not be that she doesn't get it or doesn't care...it may be that she cares too much. Talk to her, do it calmly and lovingly, letting her know that you know she loves you, but there are things that she has to accept and one of them is that you are sick; that is a fact that cannot be changed. You need her help in order to get better, that is a fact that cannot be changed. Then, tell her how she can help you.
    I could be way off base here.....but I just wanted to give you a another point of view and possibly some insight into her behavior!
    In either case, you must find a way to alleviate that particular stress and I think that you've taken a good first step by buying Daniel Wallace's book for her. Don't give up and remember....we are always here for you.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Boy o boy I wish someone had the answer to this one. My mother is the same way. When I was getting tested for lupus, she just kind of flippantly said " Oh, I am sure it is not that bad". And now that she knows I have been diagnosed with lupus, she still does not take it into consideration when planning events. 'Hey, lets all go to the beach' After her last visit when I thought she might finally be getting it because she actually asked me how I was feeling, she went home and mailed me a bunch of literature on mold. My house has no mold - it has been tested. I have decided that as a mother she just does not want to believe that I could have this disease and be this sick. And truthfully, I would not want her hanging out going 'oh you poor thing' or anything, but maybe just a small acknowledgement of belief and support (like giving me a hat). All I can say is come on and vent all you want, because while I have NO answers and really wish you did not have to experience this with your mom, I can REALLY understand your frustration. I hope the book helps her to understand...maybe I should order one for my mom.
    Hugs,
    Laura

Thanks

Hi Lauri,
    I am sorry that you are having problems with your mother not understanding. My mother passed away before I got diagnosed and in a way I am glad that she did not have to find out that I have Lupus too as my younger sister was diagnosed about 10 years before me and she took it very hard. I know that when I was a kid and I would constantly complain about the sun and being so sick with sore joints, muscles etc and very bad killer headaches she would just tell me that it was just growing pains or that it not that serious etc. She never knew how sick I really was and it is sad when parents don't get it. Maybe the book will help her get it. I will pray for you and that it will get better with your mother.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

Thank you all for your replies -
    I will say, Saysusie that you may not be that off the mark here. My Dad (who is AMAZING) always says that she does not want to BELIEVE I am sick, too. She is such a wonderful caring person but, usually, its towards others and not me. We've always had a "weird" thing, you know? My sister is always telling me to stop looking for her approval, compassion, etc, because its probably not coming. I made BIG strides with her after I became involved in my 12 step program and my renewed faith in God, and I usually DO accept her for who she is, I know that she does love me, but shows it in her way - not mine. Im usually pretty cool with that. Some days are just harder than others.
    So, to really do a number on myself, I went over there (she lives next door), and we had another little argument. I kNEW that would happen, but I went over anyway!! lol...Its also THAT time of the month, of course!!
    I am very grateful to have my hubby, who ALWAYS knows my limitations, and has NEVER doubted that I am truly sick. He is very protective of me, and I do get that support from him all the time.
    I think I am just extra emotional and sensitive today. Im a little nervous that the prednisone doesnt seem to be working as great as it did, and that I know I am probably going on Imuran. fear of the unknown, I think. I am not often afraid of this disease, but I must admit, for the past couple of days Ive let my mind wander to those scary places...and my future with this disease.
    I do have a very close relationship with God, and I have been reallly bending his ear today!! I trust He has a plan for me, and Ill know what it is when it is time to know. I need to stay in the moment, day - enjoy the little things...stay grateful - I know it could be MUCH worse.
    So - to all of you - thank you. I am so incredibly fortunate to have found my way here - to all of you - and your constant support and empathy. I am truly very, very grateful.
    I am off to bed EARLY!! Need some rest and rejuvination...
    Love and prayers to all of you -
    Be Well, Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Lauri,

For many years, I've considered my father one of my best friends. We've gone places, had adventures, done so many "guy things" together. I thought he would understand when I got the diagnosis of SLE, that things would change. We came to blows, and almost got into a fight over my condition, and his inability to comprehend the ramifications of my diagnosis. I came close to telling him that he would no longer be a part of my life, if he kept saying that Lupus was a BS disease, and that I was full of it. Well, I knew that he really didn't believe that. Those were the words of a father who didn't know how to accept the fact that his son had the same disease his wife had dealt with for more than 10 years. He wanted no part of it. It took time, but he calmed down, started reading, and eventually understood to the best of abilities that this is how it is. The diplomat in him surfaced, and he was the one who suggested that my family have 4th of July at my house. It was not easy, and it took time, but it did happen. Your situation with your mother reminds me of what happened to me. Sometimes, parents think that they somehow failed their job if one of their children becomes sick with a disease, be it Lupus, or something else. Be firm, and realistic with them. Chances are, there will be understanding, though it may be hard at first for them. I hope you have a good night. Know that family matters such as this, can turn out OK, but it may take time. Of course, you can always vent here too. It never hurts, and you know we'll listen.

Rob

Thanks

Rob,
    Thanks for the reply...families are a tough gig, I like to say...I didnt realize your Mom had it too, Rob. Thats tough to see your Mom sick...
    My Mom is the type that will go out and but my kids school clothes, take them to the movies, my son sleeps over EVERY Friday night, etc. She is the BEST Nana in the world. But when it comes to me, for some reason, she cant find the compassion.
    But what you said is right, it is tough for them to see/think about. Most days Im OK and just let it go, and some days Im more needy, I guess, and let it get to me. I have a great Dad, too - I adore him..
    Im glad your dad has come around too...How are you feeling? No trips, falls, Evil Kenivel stunts this weekend? Did you guys have those crazy thunder showers this weekend? It was pretty intense here - plus Im on the water so they seem sooo close!!
    Hope you had a painfree, relaxing weekend, Rob. Talk to you soon
    Lauri

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lauri;
    I'm glad that you talked to your Mom (even if it was an argument). I do hope that you were able to say all that you felt you needed to say. I agree with Rob 100% (as I said, I've been there as a parent) and yes, we feel as if we've failed somehow when our children get sick. I beat myself up for years about my Lauri having Lupus because I realized that the genetics were in my side of the family. I punished myself by saying that if I had not been her mother, she would not have developed the disease and would be alive today...so it was my fault that my sweet daughter died!!
    These self punishing words coursed through my mind throughout her illness, I believed that it was all my fault. So that reinforced my desire to NOT want her to be sick and to try to get her to do things that meant that she was not sick!
    Oh, the dynamics of emotions in each human being are so complex that we simply cannot put them in a box and label them.
    Keep talking to her, keep educating her.....much of her denials are probably based in ignorance of the true ramifications of this disease. Just keep talking to her.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!