Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: exercise

Thanks

Default Reply

I did exercise quite a bit up until a couple weeks ago...in a really bad flare right now. I did the exercise bike...on low...and the treadmill when I felt up to it. I've been reading about various exercises such as yoga or some stretching to help ease the joint pain. Got bursitis in one hip so alot of weight bearing exercise is tough. Going to strive to do some exercise every night to see if it helps!
    Catlady4520

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

To Klaire and others:
    For those who cannot do any kind of strenuous exercise, I have heard that doing Pilates (beginner's version - floor work only!) and very light beginner's yoga (floor work) have been successful. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, even doing mild forms of exercise while sitting in a chair can be beneficial (leg lifts, ankle flexes, using canned goods as hand weights and doing tricep and bicep workouts, etc. etc.). Even just doing those mild forms of exercise will add benefits.
    Klaire - I swim laps in the summer and I find that the ladies and I who do that care nothing about how we look in our swimming suits. We are there for a purpose, to try to stay as healthy as we can! We have caps on our heads, sunscreen on our noses, goggles on our faces, plugs in our ears, fins on our feet, T-shirts to protect us from the sun while in the water, etc. etc. We laugh that we each look like some type of sea creature - but we are doing what we need to do in order to maintain our health. So, you will find that there are very few who are judging your body and those who are judging it are not worth the time and effort that you give to them by even considering what they think. They are obviously the ones with issues - not you. So, dive into the water and do aerobics or swim laps. You are the one who matters - not them!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Re: suggestions

I use the walk away the pounds exercise tapes for six weeks until I was comfortable enough to go to a gym to exercise. Using these types, by Leslie Sansome, allowed me to get my body moving and lose weight at the same time. I also watched my food intake my calories, fat and sodium.

I now go to the gym 3-4 times a week and walk, run, and strenght train. I still need to lose about 30 - 40 lbs, but I feel great. GL
    Maxwell house got it right, Good to the last drop, enjoy every day...

Thanks

I agree, some sort of exercise is highly recommended. There was a time, when I was first dx'd, that I could still manage 30 minutes on the treadmill and six miles on my bike in the evenings. Of course, I was much younger then. :lol: I've found a wonderful yoga show on PBS ("Stretch with Priscilla") that I tape every day. It has very gentle stretches that are good for keeping the joints fluid and in working order. I also try to get out and walk at least 30 minutes per day. Sometimes I feel it the next morning, and other times I don't. But overall it's better if you can deal with the minor aches and pains to keep up some sort of cardio-vascular exercise.