Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exercise

Thanks

Default exercise

does anyone know if exercise makes lupus pain worse? i'm afraid to start a regular exercise program for fear it will make my already achy muscles ache more...but on the complete other hand, i've heard from some people that exercise is extremely important for lupus patients and that it will probably help my muscle aches. and we all know of course that's it's excellent to for weight loss....soooo..what to do?? HELLLP!! :cry:
    I was diagnosed with lupus at the age of 14. I am now 29.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi tdeyne:
    Yes, exercise is very important for us lupies. If you are concerned about aerobic and/or weight bearing exercise, try starting with some mild yoga positions. The stretches are really helpful for the joint aches and pains. Go very easily and slowly at first, but keep at it.
    I find that doing some type of exercise every day has been very helpful. If your pain is such that you are concerned about standing exercises, then start out on a chair or even on the floor. But, YES..DO SOME TYPE OF EXERCISE ON A REGULAR BASIS!! Strengthening you heart and improving your circulation works wonders for so many diseases!!

Best Of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Exercise

I have found exercise to be very helpful in regaining my strength and overall health. When I was at my peak of lupus activity, I stuck with yoga and water aerobics. I was the youngest person in the water aerobics class, but I did not care. It felt wonderful & the ladies treated me like a granddaughter! As I grew healthier, I started swimming. Now I have graduated to step classes, and I am going to start running again. I thought I would never be able to bend my knees again. But I started doing some weight training & I believe that has helped. Today, I knelt down to tie my 6 year-old's shoe. I have not been able to do that in a year!

Good luck to you!

Thanks

That's awesome, CK! Hope the return to running goes well. I always admire runners, because I just can't imagine enjoying running!

I also do Yoga and find that it has helped me immensely, probably more mentally than physically, even! I'm glad you posted because I was just feeling like I need to go back to the gym, just to do some mild weights. I know that's good for my bones, taking Prednisone. I think I'll stay away from aerobics, as I'm having a hard time keeping weight on right now. I also walk the dog a lot (well, more in the summer - luckily she's old). I think I got discouraged at the gym last year because I was comparing it to when I exercised and how I felt pre-Lupus. So, I'd feel guilty when I didn't feel up to going, etc. I think I know better now and know the value of listening to my body - Yoga taught me that.

Missy

Thanks

Default suggestions

Hi there, im a newbie so you'll have to bear with me.. :roll:

im 17 and i find that if i exercise, even sometimes walking, then the day after
    im swollen and i feel heavy and achey. i cant stand yoga (sorry u yoga fans!) and swimming is quite good but im so ashamed of my steroid body that i dont want to give the public night mares after seeing me in my cossie! ne1 any suggestions of light exercises?

thanks klaire. :P
    *๑۩۞۩๑*(`)Eat half the cake=half the calories=eat twice as much!(`)*๑۩۞۩๑*

Thanks

Default excercise

I do a little treamill at a mediumpace (20-30 minutes a day) and light weights. I find that stretching really helps, and sometimes I'll just sitdown with a magazione, orin front of the TV and stretch for an hour. It helps me sleep better too.

Thanks

I've really struggled with the exercise thing. I used to be a long distance runner, but have been unable to run for over a year. That was a huge loss to me. A lot of exercises I've tried make me feel worse. Like others have said, any type of exercise in the water is good. I recently joined Curves and found that I usually tollerate that pretty well.

Thanks

I have been trying to exercise regularly, but, I find that my energy is so depleted by the end of my regular work day that if I want to do anything else (cook, clean, GO anywhere) exercise is almost out of the question. Or if I have enough energy TO do anything, it isn't for very long.

Does anyone know what I can do to keep some kind of regular beneficial exercise routine that won't completely drain my energy?
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

My fatigue is so bad that I find five minutes excercising leaves me floored, literally, I sit on the sofa and fall asleep after! I'm trying to think of ways around it, yeah, maybe as Missy suggested, I may try yoga, that might help

Thanks

Default i like yoga

the thing i like most about yoga is that you get a good workout and a small nap is built in at the end! no one minds if you fall asleep because it is so relaxing!