Thread: I can't stop coughing!

Thanks

Default I can't stop coughing!

Hi all,

I posted in another thread about colds a week or two ago, but can't find it now, so here's a new one.

I have been coughing violently for almost three weeks. I have barely slept, averaging 5 or 6 hours (I normally shoot for eight hours) because I wake up coughing (sometimes feels like choking!) several times a night. I've been to the dr twice and both times my lungs sound great. The second time, he took an x-ray and all was well! So the dr is clueless. He suggested early bronchitis or pneumonia, but I don't have a fever and it is a very dry cough! The only time it is productive is first thing in the morning for a very short period of time. It started out what I thought was a mild cold, and this cough just won't quit! I've tried a long list of meds: sudafed (for possible post nasal drip), robitussin, a natural cough syrup, a steroid inhaler, codeine, nyquil, claritin, cough drops, and now I'm trying flonase (which I've used many times in the past, but not for coughs), and benadryl in case it is allergies. Even though I've never had a cough with allergies! I'm so frustrated because I'm so tired!! Has anyone ever experienced this? Any other possible ideas? I'm thinking about calling my rheumy next week to get her thoughts.

Sorry for the long post..thanks for listening!

Thanks

Poor thing! Its been a LONG time since I had a cough that bad, I do not remember it fondly....I do remember coughing so hard I would almost start vomiting. Not a fun time.

At that time, I worked at a hospital. My coworkers finally dragged me to the emergency room one afternoon - after they checked first to be sure it wasn't a busy time. The ER doc told me that with non-productive coughs like I had - that just didn't want to go away, but didn't have a cause that a doc could find - I should try suppressing the cough when I could. In other words, consciously say "I will NOT cough right now," and take a deep gentle breath or swallow instead. I started doing that, and the cough finally started going away.

I don't know if that will help you or not....

Also, a wonderful soothing thing for that raw throat that goes along with the cough is some honey.

I hope you feel better soon!
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

Default me 2

i'm so glad to read this post, not happy about your post though. lol i have lupus and i never put two and two together but i had a serious cough 2 months ago maybe. and i dont have any medical insurance so i went to a clinic and they couldnt find anything wrong with me. They said go to the walmart and buy allergy pills. nothing worked like you said you will take every cough syrup and pill they have invented and still cough your head offf. ........... it wasnt fun or funny then but i got through it and over it.

i had that cough for like 3-4 weeks straight. i couldnt hold a whole 5 minute conversation without coughing inbetween. it came out of no where to. my friends would joke on me and family would run from me, thinking i would give them something. if you find out what it was or how you got it let me know. cause that cough was hell. jessica