Thread: IBS...TMI

Thanks

Default IBS...TMI

I have been having diarrhea for so long now I forget how long, However it has changed now to every night just as I am trying to go to sleep. Just water, and terrible terrible cramping. The kind that makes you double over in pain. I am drinking water (to stay hydrated, I get dehydrated very easily) and took some pepto. HubbyMan went to get some immodium.

I think chocolate is a trigger. In the last week I have had choc chip cookies, Buster Bar from DQ and a hot fudge sundae. On the evenings that I had these I had horrendous diarrhea. Could be a fluke...I dunno. Tonite is the the 6th or 7th night. Sometimes it wakes me in the middle of the night too.

Anyone have any helpful hints for me? Cant it all just stop for awhile?

Stop this ride I wanna get off!!
    Kasey

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi NoodleMom;
    There is never TMI here. :lol:
    First, let me say that chocolate is a natural diuretic and if, for some reason, your stomach is more sensitive, then eating chocolate could bring about diarrhea.
    Have you or your doctor ever spoken about Fibromyalgia? This may be a reason why your stomach is much more sensitive. 30% of Lupus patients either develop Fibromyalgia or had FM prior to their Lupus diagnosis. I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia. One of the primary symptoms of Fibromyalgia is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (either diarrhea or constipation or a combination of both) with painful cramping. IBS is a chronic illness that tends to get worse over time or is exacerbated by certain foods (like chocolate) or medicines. As many as one-third of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) patients have described extra intestinal symptoms such as rashes, tension headaches, and muscle pains. Research has shown that as many as 60% of IBS patients also suffer from fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS). Conversely, as many as 70% of FMS patients have reported experiencing symptoms of IBS.
    Even though IBS affects the gastrointestinal tract and FMS the musculoskeletal system, there are similarities. Neither condition can be explained by organic disease; they are considered functional disorders. Both occur frequently in women and the onset may be during a stressful event in life or in overlap with some auto-immune disorders (like Lupus).
    Fibromyalgia is not a disease, like Lupus, it is a chronic syndrome (meaning there are no aspects of it that can become life-threatening).
    The most prominent symptom of fibromyalgia is pain. Unlike arthritis, the discomfort is not in the joints but in the muscles and ligaments. The pain is commonly located in the neck, shoulders, back, and hips. The tenderness is worse in the mornings and has been described as flulike, burning, throbbing, aching, or stabbing.
    Another frequent complaint associated with fibromyalgia is fatigue. In fact, it occurs so commonly that some doctors think fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome are the same disease. But, by far, the most aggravating symptoms of FMS is Irritable Bowel Syndrome!
    Speak to your doctor about this possibility. There are 18 defined pressure points in the body when a person has FM, you must have 11 of the 18 (I have 14). As with Lupus, there are criteria which must be met in order to be diagnosed with FM. If you have Lupus, the chances are good that you will meet most of the criteria for FM.

Let us know what you find out! In the meantime, it might be helpful for you to stay away from chocolate (particularly - milk chocolate). An easy way to find some relief from your symptoms, including constipation, diarrhea and gas, is through simple changes to your diet. Keep a diary of the foods that you eat and any symptoms that occur afterwards. If you notice that certain foods are triggering your symptoms, try to reduce or eliminate them.Try drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water every day to help ease both constipation and diarrhea.

Stress and anxiety often exacerbate symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. This is because receptors in your brain are directly connected to nerves in your gastrointestinal tract. So, just as is the case with Lupus, you must try to reduce stress by getting proper sleep, engaging in daily exercise, and perhaps even by getting counseling for your emotional needs.

You may want to try anti-diarrheals or anti-spasmodic medications. Anti-diarrheals help to alleviate the pain and cramping caused by diarrhea. Imodium, an over-the-counter drug, is very effective at slowing the action of the bowel, thus reducing diarrhea.

Anti-spasmodic prescription drugs work to relieve diarrhea by relaxing muscles in the wall of your gut. They also reduce contractions and cramping caused by diarrhea. A popular anti-spasmodic for irritable bowel syndrome is dicyclomine, sold under the brand name Bentyl. Bentyl does have side effects including: dry mouth, dizziness, blurred vision, and nausea.

I hope this was helpful. Let us know what you find out & how it is responding to treatment!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

:shock: NoodleMom

Brace yourself for a lecture.

- Get in to see your doctor
    - Take some immodium

I have IBS as well, one thing I've learned is do NOT assume it's the IBS. If it's changed or lasting for prolonged periods...get into see your doctor. My sister thought she had IBS turns out it was Ceiliacs.

Dont let yourself go on like this for very long. It might be the IBS. I'm just concerned that it might be something else.

Hugs hope you are feeling better today
    Oh look ... a cookie

Thanks

Hey sits,

Uh oh lecture time.

I have an appt at the end of the month.We just moved. New doc. New everything. HubbyMan got me some Immodium last night. I wasnt sure if I could take anything besides the hycosimine(sp) I was in so much discomfort tho that I needed to take something.

I wish it was sooner but Im having surgery next week so we had to put it off till the following week. I am hoping that this doc will be an advocate and be understanding of Lupus and Fibro and all the rest.

Hey Saysusie, I showed HubbyMan your post. He tells me that yes I do have fibro as well. I didnt realize that. Major brain fog.

We went to a gathering tonite with some of the people that HubbyMan will be working with. I T WAS NICE AND FUN. tHESE ARE THE FIRST oops sorry for caps. people we have met since we moved 6 weeks ago. I am very tired tho.

K

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Noodlemom;
    I'm glad that you were able to get out and to have a good time! So you do have Fibromyalgia. Well, that might explain a lot. It is still a good idea to talk to your doctor about your symptoms.
    Have a wonderful weekend...keep feeling better!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!