Thread: Acupuncture and other alternative treatments

Thanks

Default Acupuncture and other alternative treatments

HI im Cindy, i just wanted to see if other lupies have tried any alternative treatments and if they saw any benefit from them. The past year i have religiously started acupuncture with chiropractic appts, in the same office and was actually able to complete my master's as a full time student due to the decrease in fatigue and joint pain i was having. If anyone is in the dallas area I saw Dr Rober Louder at Ca clinic. A year ago i was in so much pain all the time I couldnt even get out of bed! Until about a month ago I went two years after diagnosis without lupus meds and recently started 400mg of plaquenil and decreased prednisone from 20mg a day to 2.5mg now. apparently the acupuncture doesnt slow down the immune system~bc my doc said my complement levels were so low~I still take mobic or skelaxin as needed maybe 2-4x a month? I also take omega fatty fish oils to help with inflammation which i have seen great result when something is swollen!

Thanks, any response would be appreciated~

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm glad to hear that the acupuncture has worked for you. I've never tried it myself. Perhaps someone else here, who has, will respond to you.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I wouldnt mind knowing other meds people have found beneficial too?

Thanks

My currents in my medicine cabinet...

Protonix..trying to wean myself off.
    Plaquenil
    Lortab or Darvocet as needed.
    Fish Oils
    Super B-Complex.
    CoQ10
    Locoid Lipo Cream.
    Hershey's Bar Plain

My had list is way longer..

As a whole... I am during pretty darn good.

Found a place for my mind, my body, my spirit. In me, as one..and we are pretty much balance at this moment.

I had many sessions of acupuncture for my back...three surgeries. It was amazing, took mass pain from my lumbar. And I have been pretty much good to go ever since...

Keep well, Vegagirl..
    Hugs,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Oluwa,
    love the hershey's bar in there, i cant live without sweets or id go crazy!
    the super b complex, what brand do you take and does it give you energy? whats locoid and coq10?

thanks again!

Thanks

Hey Vegagirl,

I do Nature Made on all supplements. Ordered from drugstore.com. Good deals, free shipping...earn bucks and also coupons from Nature Made site....check it out. I love a deal...means I can buy more of another thing..

I take the Super B Complex for over all body health...stress, metabolism, vascular disease...

Energy? Waz dat? It may as I have been worse, fatigued before and have also been more energized before.

CoQ10 a supplement was prescribed, for fatigue...but from my reads it also helps with cardiovascular diseases.

My gene pool contains lots of early in age heart disease. Momma, Sister, Aunties, Dad, Brothers..Granny...

Locoid Lipo is a prescription steroid cream for my new diagnosis of Asteatotic Eczema.

And the Hershey's Plain is for when I feel blah...sad, longing, stressed.

Sugar especially sugar substitutes should be avoided with Lupus...Splenda is okay. Saysusie just posted a reply on an other thread to as why..check it out.

Hard to give up many things..so moderation is key...

Be well,
    Hugs,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

hi folks-

I'm just looking for some people to chat with who have tried some alternative therapies in addition to traditional therapies for lupus.

I'm currently on plaquenil and prednisone, but am also taking nutritional supplements and have just started acupuncture again.

Anyone else trying alternative therapies? One of my biggest challenges is working with multiple doctors with differing philosophies...

--k

Thanks

I have tried a few natural ways to treat Lupus. I was getting vitamin infusions and I tried yoga and acupuncture. All of this was supervised by my doctors. I wish that I could tell you they worked; however, I can't. I went off all of my medicine to do this and I have never fulling recovered and am now on the medicine my doctor originally wanted me on. Just be careful and make sure your doc knows everything that you are doing. Good louck and keep us posted :!:
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

Gees - I've tried everything I can find. I've found a little help with supplements. The most help I've found is in one call reliv. But it tastes horrible and adds weight. It does relieve a large percentage of my achiness and that "inflammed" feeling. I do get some energy from it too. However, the fatigue just never seems to go away. I've tried Accupuncture, chiropractic, wierd therapies where they do magnetic balancing, hair analysis. I do take a sublingual B12 called Trivita and I like it. Seems to help with energy a little but mostly helps me to have a sound nights sleep. I've tried going vegan, going high protein, going high carb and then low carb... I've tried diets that eliminate the night shade veges and diets for people with arthritis and other inflammatory diseases... I always think I'm a little better at first but as time passes -- it all comes back. Except for with the reliv I do get consistant relief from a large portion of the achiness. I'm currently searching for a replacement for it as it is soy based and I don't do well with soy. I have yet to find any other supplement that helps with this inflammed feeling. I've tried many well known brands plus a few distributor only brands like Amway, Vemma, Arbonne, reliv... Probably have spent thousands on all this junk and no help...... But, I'll keep searching because I know there must be something to help. I do consistantly take my plaquenil and will never quit taking it. I review everything with my doctor. Haven't found the magic bullet yet! Best Wishes

Thanks

I am so sorry......it really sounds like you have tried everything at this point. Does your stomach bother you on a regular basis? I know that gluten can play a nasty role in our disease and breaking down dairy can also be a problem. I wish there was a magical thing I could give you to make you feel better at this point, but, I can just be here to listen. What is your next step in this process :?:
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram