Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have support group ideas & info?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Anyone have support group ideas & info?

I am starting a Lupus support group in my area in December....just wondering if anybody goes to one, what kind of things they've liked and disliked, and any topics/ideas for me. I think I'll be lone-dogging it for a while on the facilitator thing, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, everyone!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi;
    I am so pleased that you are starting a support group. It takes a lot of dedication to start a group of that type and I commend you.
    I have attended support groups and there were two things that I truly did not like:
    1. A group that essentially turns into pity parties. By that, I mean, they never discussed how to deal with certain symptoms, what to expect from medications, how to deal with doctors, what new treatments were out there, where to find help locally, etc. Everyone just showed up and talked about how miserable their lives were and how everyone else was to blame for the misery in their lives. It was always depressing and I always walked away feeling worse than I did when I came.
    2. A group that deals with nothing at all...except to become a social gathering, party planners, and/or a gossip center. I left their feeling empty and angry.

What I wanted and what I needed was information, answers to my questions, some support and a place to know that I was not suffering alone.
    I hope that this helps you! Once again, I commend you for what you are doing and I wish you the very best!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks, Saysusie, for the info and for sharing your experiences, as I've only been to one support group meeting in another state, with my sister before I had Lupus, and it was a while ago.

I will keep your ideas in mind and hope others have some more ideas/info to share with me?

Missy

Thanks

Default support groups

Hello,

I am a member of a support group and I do have some do and don't rules that I like to follow.

I do not like when only one person dominated the entire conversation.
    I do not like doctor bashing or swaying someone from what their doctor recommends.
    I do not like the group that only complains and doesn't want to learn.

I do like supporting each other and helping other group members get to the meetings.
    I do like passing books around for others to read or having a book club as part of it. There are some fabulous motivational books or good stories out there or educational books.
    I do like including the local Lupus Association or Society branch, especially getting the latest information from them.
    I do like including videos and pamphlets from the local Lupus chapter.
    I do like also having experts from the community come in with alternative therapy options.
    I do really like talking about the treatments that works for them and having them bring it to their doctor.

A support group is just that, to support each other, improve quality of life and inform/educate the people in the group.

A support group is a fabulous outlet for people and also a release for the family because they have someone other then their spouse/partner/relative to talk to and they still feel supported.

I found because I have that outlet, I don't feel the need to talk about it all at home as much. My husband doesn't mind at all, but I like to talk about more pleasant topics as well.
    Love, Laugh and Live Hard...

Thanks

JenHa55 - thank you so much for the info! We are going to start to try it this Saturday. Wish me luck!

Missy

Thanks

Just thought I'd let you know that the first meeting went very well - 4 people came, which I thought was great for our very small community and the fact that we're in the holiday season. One woman was newly diagnosed, and another had been feeling isolated. The third was a great supporter, and the fourth, a boyfriend of one of the other women!

I was really happy and wanted to thank you for your input.

Missy

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Missy;
    Hooray for your first group, which was successful. Once again, I want to commend you for taking the time and dedication to provide such a needed service.
    Keep us posted about your success!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Hi I hope you don't mind me adding to this

Hi,
    I have just joined today and saw this thread. although I am in England, I saw the same need for a support group in our area. I decided to start one and today at our first meeting, I became chairman.. I agree with what was said it must be constructive not destructive. we are going to organise a monthly meeting in the evening to incorporate the workers and try to get interesting speakers both medical and social/fun. and as our county is spread out we aim to have a social meet in each corner covering the month. We are fun raising as unfortunately everything requires money and trying to raise awareness. I will watch how yours goes with interest and hope to swap ideas.
    Val

Thanks

Val - I wish you the very best with your support groups in England!

My cousin is currently living in Wales, and I will be there in the Spring for her wedding. It will be my first trip to Europe and I am very excited!

Again, good luck!

Missy

Thanks

Hi missy,
    Hope you enjoy England I'm right in the centre.
    Val