Thread: Face Rash

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Face Rash

Do any of you get the red rash on your face? My face is looking awful lately and darn it I forgot to ask my rheumatologist what I can do about it when I was there last. What do you do to help it look less, well red? ops:

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Mommychristy: Here is what I found out about red rash on the face:
    The classic lupus rash is a redness on the cheeks (malar blush) often brought on by sun exposure, many different types of rashes can be seen in SLE. Discoid lupus with the red skin patches on the skin and scaliness is a special characteristic rash that can lead to scarring. It usually occurs on the face and scalp and can lead to loss of scalp hairAcute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus usually presents as an erythematous rash in a butterfly distribution on the face. This blush is slightly edematous and is located in both cheeks and across the bridge of the nose. The lesion usually appears after sun exposure but persists a few days to weeks before healing without scarring. It may be accompanied by erythematous lesions in other areas of the body. Usually more than 90% of the cases have positive ANA, as well as immunoglobulin deposits along the dermoepidermal junction by immunioflourescence studies of the involved skin.
    1) The butterfly blush or rash is a faint or prominent red rash over the malar area and the bridge of the nose. The rash does not go into the sides of the nostrils or down the fold between the nose and the outer part of the lips. These areas are always spared and look white in contrast to the red rash of the cheeks and bridge of the nose. Sometimes the rash is flat, and sometimes it is elevated. It may be in the form of red blotches or may be completely red over the area. The rash may be itchy, especially if it looks more like a rash than a blush. This rash is typical of SLE but is present in only about 30 percent of patients.

The butterfly rash is frequently confused by patients and by physicians with a similar red rash which also is over the cheeks. This rash is called acne rosacea. It does involve the areas of the outside of the nostrils and does involve the folds between the nose and the outer part of the lips. In addition, pimples may be seen on top of the red rash in acne rosacea.

2) Subacute cutaneous lupus lesions are of two major types.

* The first type looks like red pimples when the rash first comes out; as the rash persists, these pimples become bigger, and scales appear as the rash persists. Patients complain about the rash being very itchy. The rash usually appears on the face, chest, or arms and commonly comes on after sun exposure. The rash usually worsens * after more sun exposure.

* The second type starts out as a flat lesion and gets bigger by expanding outward. The center may become less red and may even clear up completely so that, after a while, this rash looks like many circular red areas with clear holes in their centers. The rash appears on the face, chest, arms, and back. It is very sensitive to the sun and, like the other form of subacute cutaneous lesions, usually is very itchy. The rash of subacute cutaneous lupus usually heals without scarring, or leaves a non-depressed scar or area of depigmentation where the rash had been.

People with subacute lesions are very sun-sensitive. These individuals also frequently have a specific nuclear autoantibody called anti-Ro. SLE patients with anti-Ro are more likely to have a sun-sensitive rash than SLE patients without anti-Ro.

3) Chronic discoid lupus lesions are found in about 20 percent of people with SLE. Chronic discoid lupus also is found in people who have absolutely no trace of systemic lupus. In these people, the lupus is confined to the skin.

These lesions are slightly elevated, pink or red areas which form crust or flakes on the surface. As the lesions mature, the central area becomes depressed and forms a scar. These lesions rarely are found below the chin and practically never on the legs. However, chronic discoid lupus frequently is found on the scalp and in the outer ear. Lesions are itchy and get biggerby spreading outward, leaving a central scar. In pigmented individuals, the central area may become depigmented; in all individuals, the outer red area may become hyperpigmented. These can be very disfiguring lesions and should be treated as soon as possible and as aggressively as necessary to stop them.

Non-specific rashes

Non-specific rashes are seen in diseases other than lupus, but are extremely common in people with SLE. Patients may develop a red blotchy rash similar to the rash caused by a number of viruses, and similar to the rash caused by a variety of drugs (so-called drug-rash). These blotches may or may not be elevated and may be pink or red. They generally are found on the face, chest, back, and upper arms, and may or may not be itchy. This type of rash disappears quickly if patients are treated with corticosteroids for their other complaints.

Vasculitic rashes are seen frequently in people with SLE, especially in acutely ill patients. These rashes are non-specific because they may be present in patients who do not have lupus. For example, a small number of individuals with rheumatoid arthritis develop vasculitic rashes. There are a wide variety of rashes due to vasculitis, including: tender bumps in the tips of the fingers or toes; rashes that look like splinters under the nailbeds; ulcers that form around the ankle joints or on the legs; and tender red bumps on the shins. Some lesions in people with lupus, such as hives, may be due to inflammation of the small vessels of the skin.

I hope that this has been helpful to you!!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Don't you love rashes? I've finally gotten rid of the acne-type all over my forehead that likes to arrive along with large Prednisone doses.

Do you guys ever have one that just itches in the back of your arms? Like tricep area? It almost seems that I get itchy, scratch, then it looks like a rash appears...it eventually goes away when I leave it alone.

Missy