Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Care 101 for Lupus

Thanks

question about uv lights what should you avoid. can spotlights hologen lights effect you. confussed?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi tracy,

I can't speak for everyone but I will tell you that they do affect me. All types of UV lighting bother me, even those you are talking about. Heck, I have to wear sunscreen to go to the grocery store so I am on the extreme end. Each person can handle different amounts of UV rays so it all depends on you. All I know is that I have to avoid them all
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Excellent suggestions!! But I'm having a lot of trouble with breathing right now and am trying to find some light exercise that doesn't make me breathless. And one deal I made with myself that I totally suggest is setting a goal of only two things that truly need to get done that day. I found that I would have a good day and just go crazy trying to get things done. Next thing I'd know, I'd be in the ER with either breathing problems or some other goofy illness. I also started doing one load of laundry each day. Wow, you really can stay ahead of the game this way! I admit that I feel guilt for not having the cleanest house or doing more with my son, but I honestly feel better and we all know that's a hard prize to win!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Serand4, do some stretching exercises or anything you prefer, 3-5 reps each. Build up very slowly you have to build your breathing capacity slowly and once you build it up; you can do more.
    nonna

Thanks

I am just bumping this to the top again because there are a number of new members who would appreciate the advice.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

I have a question regarding the Sun/UV lights
    It took a couple doctors 6 years to diagnose I had lupus, a couple reasons was I didnít have the butterfly rash and the sun doesnít bother me! They called my diagnoses a odd one as I have the positive ANA but I donít show any physical signs, but I do have the fatigue, muscle/joint pain, fever, hot flashes and so on and on.
    I love the Sun as soon as I step out into the sun I feel revitalized is this normal for someone with SLE Lupus?

AmandaPanda
    "We're all in the same game, just different levels. Dealing with the same hell, just different devils.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

One of the things that we have to remember about this disease is that it does not affect any one the same. Also, as we learn more about the disease, we also learn that the disease manifests itself in ways that have not been previously seen before. So, in answer to your question, it is quite possible that you do not share the sun sensitivity that many of us share and that you can still have active Lupus.

I always say that we must pay particular attention to how the disease affects us personally, as we will not be like the next person with the disease. I would suggest, however, that even though you do not suffer from sun sensitivity at this time, that you still take precautions when in the sun. One thing that Lupus does do is CHANGE; the symptoms you have today may worsen, or have new symptoms added tomorrow, or go away only to be replaced by a completely different set of symptoms.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you need anything further. We are all here to help you as much as we can.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

ferrini (05-27-2011), panda_lupo (01-26-2011)

Thanks

I realize now that the sun does affect me. I thought I had an allergy that caused the rashes. I had the fatigue, muscle pain, itching, and aches, but attributed them to aging. I am 64. I wear sunscreen now and try to limit my sun exposure which is very hard. I love to walk and am an avid gardner. I realize that stress also triggers the flares. I was just diagnosed in December due to diabetic blood screening tests that led to many more tests. I have probably had Lupus many years, but was not familar with it or the symptoms.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Its really difficult for me to tell whether the sun rays harm me or not. At this very moment I do notice a little rash on my left middle finger and its burning hot outside. I was out there for a few hours without any form of protection from the sun. Is there a test I can take to see if the UV rays are harmful to my body or not? And for me the most challenging thing with lupus is watching your diet. Does anyone else struggle with that?
    Living with Lupus Nephritis is not difficult but just a challenge.

Thanks

awesome info ty very much