Thread: Service Dog and work

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Service Dog and work

I AM FURIOUS!!!!!! If I didn't need to get my paycheck this afternoon, I'd walk out!!! My boss informed me, even after explaining everything in great detail, that he doesn't want me to bring my service pup in training to the office. I pick up the pup this Sunday. I've already given a deposit on the dog and already lost my heart to the little guy. I'm not giving him back!

I work for a Center for Independent Living!!!!!!! This is the last place I thought I'd have a problem with. The boss suggested that I should get a walker instead. A WALKER!!!!!! I informed him that I've had a walker for years. A walker won't pick up anything. A walker won't alert if I fall. A WALKER???????

It is taking every once of strenght I have at the moment not to break down in tears. Getting a service dog was NOT an easy decision. I agonized over it. I prayed, I spoke with experts, friends, family, my Lupus family. A decision that was not quick and easy to make, yet the right decision. He claims he's concerned the dog will be disruptive. He claims he understands Lupus as his mom and cousin has it. They have THEIR Lupus, not mine. GET A WALKER?????? He's a cat person. Of course he doesn't want a dog around.

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO????? Continue suffering because the boss doesn't think having the dog in the office is a "good idea"????? Yeah, well I don't think having Lupus is a good idea either. Legally, he knows he can't tell me no. He knows the law . He legally can NOT tell me no.

I don't know what I'm going to do. Inside, I'm breaking down and crying.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Report him to your state office, I highly doubt that is legal with him not letting you bring your service dog. Also, I really hate when people say they understand lupus because they know someone with it, really the only people who understand 100% is the people who actually have lupus. Sorry for all the stress your going through that really sucks when people are being jerks.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

ruziska (07-26-2013), Saysusie (07-29-2013)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree wholeheartedly...REPORT HIM!! I think that it may be illegal for him to deny you the use of your service dog. I wish I knew who you could contact..perhaps the organization where you got the dog will know where to direct you for help in this area. Do not take this without a fight! You have rights and it is important that you find out what those rights are and that you exercise them.

Please keep us posted!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

ruziska (07-29-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Update: I have my pup. He's staying at home until I'm comfortable with his public behavior. I took a sick day Monday and apparently missed the staff meeting about service dogs. The staff was told that they need to be "observant and make sure the laws are being followed when a service dog is in the building". Gee, think he was referring to anyone in particular? Luckily for me, the boss has been out of town yesterday and today. I'm taking Thursday and Friday off so won't see him until Monday. I know darn well he called his "second in command" yesterday to ask if I brought Karma in. I was not happy to find out about the staff meeting and I'm glad I wasn't there as I highly doubt I'd been able to keep my composure.

I told the second in command who I know will report back to the boss that I don't appreciate his insulting my intelligence by assuming I wasn't versed on service dog laws and that I am especially upset that he had the audacity to TELL, not suggest, but TELL me that I didn't need a service dog, that I need a walker instead (a service dog named Walker? lol). He's not a medical professional and does not have the education to make such a remark. Geez, even a doctor most likely wouldn't have said that! His comments were just plain wrong.

Report him? I have. I went through unconventional and untraceable back to me channels. It could get very interesting very soon.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Blog Entries
    Thanks

What about the Americans with Disability Act. Can that help you at all? WOW! I want to say "I don't believe that," but I can believe a corporate company would do that to someone. All they seem to care about is $$$$!

I wish you the best of luck with this.