Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: PHOTOSENSITIVITY in LUPUS

Thanks

I too had OMIGOD moment earlier this week. I notice that the red rashes on my hands happen mainly at work. I wear a long sleeve lab coat so all that really shows are my hands so it HAS to be the florescent lighting. The makeup I wear has a sunscreen built in but there are times when my face turns red as well.

Also one of the grocery stores we shop at has really strong florescent lights (a warehouse type store) and the last couple of times H and I have been there, I have felt ill. Fine before walking in and then fine leaving.

Who knew?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Manderson For This Useful Post:

tgal (07-16-2011)

Thanks

I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot of these moments as even more things that I've just learned to live with start to make sense!

Thanks

Me and you both Geo

Thanks

I have always been photosensitive since I was diagnosed. I am especially sensitive now that I am on an immunosuppressant (prograf) that increases my sun sensitivity. I make sure to wear sunscreen or a lotion with sunscreen everyday and always have my had and or spf umbrella with me.

If your state allows it a suggest a handicap placard as well. I have it for not only the sun but also the times I have trouble walking due to joint pain! It works out great.

Also I just got my windows tinted in my car! Huge thing!! My state allows me to block out 70% of the light on my side and back window and block 35% light from my whole windshield! So I am blocking 99.5% of those harmful UV rays that send me into a flare!

I am currently fighting a slight hiccup with my lupus and trying all that I can to keep it from going into a full flare!

Good luck to everyone and staying healthy!
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Thanks

I was really sensitive and Burnt easily and was effected long after being sun burnt way before I was diagnosed with Lupus but now I am thinking it may be that having had Lupus imam guessing forever but not knowing about it then may also have been part of why I was s sensitive. Then again some people are just sun sensitive but I know and feel bad how much I need to cover up more and if the consequences aren't instant don't always link my pain to the sun which is bad because then I don't think to cover up next time and I am worried about complications later on from being exposed to the suntoo much etc. Thanks guys!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YollyDolly View Post
    I was really sensitive and Burnt easily and was effected long after being sun burnt way before I was diagnosed with Lupus but now I am thinking it may be that having had Lupus imam guessing forever but not knowing about it then may also have been part of why I was s sensitive. Then again some people are just sun sensitive but I know and feel bad how much I need to cover up more and if the consequences aren't instant don't always link my pain to the sun which is bad because then I don't think to cover up next time and I am worried about complications later on from being exposed to the suntoo much etc. Thanks guys!
    Just an FYI...for many of us we have just as much trouble in florescent lighting. I have to wear 50+ (I even have 100) sunscreen when I am in the store shopping or in a doctors office. In the ER I get even sicker so the sunscreen goes on before I get there. Some people get rashes from it but many just get hit with a flare. Good thing is that sunscreen stops it
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Yolly - Goodmorning
    You are also blond and very light skinned = easily sunburned! Try not to 'blame' everything on Lupus now that it has been diagnosed, it will only make it harder on yourself to accept it and deal with it. You have always been sensitive to the sun due to your fairness, and you still would be without Lupus. xoxo

Thanks

This will totaly explain why my arms go bright red with white lumps on when I'm working under flouro light! And then why I feel like shit the next day. Roll on rheumo appointment!

Thanks

This is such good information, I am really going to learn alot about lupus, thanks heaps for the info

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    This is such good information, I am really going to learn alot about lupus, thanks heaps for the info
    There are just so many "little things" that make a huge difference in our lives
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~