Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PHOTOSENSITIVITY in LUPUS

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Sun screen

Can any body tell what brands of sunscreen are best for lupus!!! I know I shoud'nt but I swim a lot in the summer!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hi wrightrs,

there is a "sticky" that goes into detail about sun blocks. the important thing to remember is to get sun block not sun screen.

i try to buy 50 spf, but at the minimum, get spf 35.

i grew up not using sun screen at all, so this has really been an adjustment for me....hope you are better at this prevention than i am.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

Wrightrs...

Swimming is a wonderful exercise for Lupus, our joint paint..helps to strengthen our skeletal muscles that hold us up and also to protect our joints. Don't give it up, just protect.

I only swim in the summer...and I feel so alive then.

If able swim before the hottest part, sun highest in your area....usually between 10AM - 4PM, so swim before 10 and after 4PM. I have a pool and follow that rule.

I also swim with a T-shirt and I use and my most recent purchase was Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55...

Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

FYI....regarding screens and blocks and how to protect yourself...

• Sunscreen contains materials that act as filter to allow a certain range of UV light to be absorbed into the skin.
    • Sunblock contains metallic materials that reflect and scatter the UV light and acts a wall between the sun and your skin.

The sun is at its strongest between the hours 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. This is when sun protection should be strongly advised. When buying a sunscreen or block look for:

• Sun protection factor (SPF), which is labeled on every bottle. The SPF number indicates the length of time one can stay in the sun without burning. The higher the SPF number the more your skin is protected from the sun. Dermatologists recommend using lotion with an SPF of 15 or higher.
    • Active ingredients are what prevent UVA and UVB rays from harming your skin. Sunscreens or blocks should contain protection for both UVA and UVB rays. According the Food and Drug Administration, effective sunscreens and blocks should contain one or more of the following ingredients:
      • For Sunscreens
        Octinoxate
        Octisalate
        Oxybenzone
        Benzophenone
        Menthyl Anthranitate
      • For Sunblocks
        Titanium Dioxide
        Iron Oxide
        Zinc Oxide
    • An Expiration date should also be printed somewhere on the bottle. Sunscreens without an expiration date listed usually have a shelf life of three years.

Sunscreen/block should be applied about 15 to 30 minutes before going outside and reapplied every two hours, even on a cloudy day. Even if your lotion is waterproof, sunscreen/block should be reapplied after swimming and physical activity where excessive sweating has occurred. Lotion should be applied to any area of the body that will be exposed to the sun. Don't forget your lips, ears and behind the neck. Have someone help you with the hard-to-reach spots like the middle of your back.

Thanks

WOW! I did not know you have to apply every 2-4 hours. Are u sure? my doctor never said that. I only apply once a day. thanks

Thanks

Yep, like make-up , lotion, lipstick, cologne...it wears off, sweats off too....you're welcome, SSingh.

Thanks

Default eyes

I'm still trying to figure this out, without putting myself in the hospital. I know I have big problems when I don't wear sunglasses. When I do put sunglasses on after the initial symptoms, it relieves symptoms. So is there a type of Lupus thats just "through the eyes" and not absorbed through the skin? Is anyone aware of any other sunlight induced "diseases"? Also can this elevate blood pressure/anxiety? Can you die if you can't get out of the light? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default hi

Hi Tony,

Have you read page one of this thread? It could help you!

Love
    Angel.xxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

well, I am having this issue that even little bit in sun and florescent light my cheeks and nose tip gets really red. It just started to happen from last year. I have lupus for now about 10 years never happened that before. Does it means lupus is kind of active? May be I am in some kind of flare. I have not felt good all year.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for all this sun info just reading it again to get ready for the pool. But I was wondering if your in the sun how long it takes for you to feel the effects? I was wondering if the flare, I'm having now is from me getting in the sun last summer.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky