Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVING WITH LUPUS... Dealing with flares.

Thanks

Default LIVING WITH LUPUS... Dealing with flares.

Living with Lupus

Despite the symptoms of lupus and the potential side-effects of treatment, people with lupus can maintain a high quality of life overall. One key to managing lupus is to understand the disease and its impact. Learning to recognize the warning signs of a flare can help the patient take steps to ward it off or reduce its intensity.

Many people with lupus experience increased fatigue, pain, a rash, fever, abdominal discomfort, headache, or dizziness just before a flare. Developing strategies to prevent flares can also be helpful, such as learning to recognize your warning signals and maintaining good communication with your doctor.

It is also important for people with lupus to receive regular health care, instead of seeking help only when symptoms worsen. Results from a medical exam and laboratory work on a regular basis allows the doctor to note any changes and to identify and treat flares early. The treatment plan, which is tailored to the individualís specific needs and circumstances, can be adjusted accordingly.

If new symptoms are identified early, treatments may be more effective. Other concerns also can be addressed at regular checkups. The doctor can provide guidance about such issues as the use of sunscreens, stress reduction, and the importance of structured exercise and rest, as well as birth control and family planning. Because people with lupus can be more susceptible to infections, the doctor may recommend yearly influenza vaccinations or pneumococcal vaccinations for some patients.

Women with lupus should receive regular preventive health care, such as gynecological and breast examinations. Men with lupus should have the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test. Both men and women need to have their blood pressure and cholesterol checked on a regular basis. If a person is taking corticosteroids or antimalarial medications, an eye exam should be done at least yearly to screen for and treat eye problems.

Learning to recognize the warning signs of a flare can help the patient take steps to ward it off or reduce its intensity

Staying healthy requires extra effort and care for people with lupus, so it becomes especially important to develop strategies for maintaining wellness. Wellness involves close attention to the body, mind, and spirit. One of the primary goals of wellness for people with lupus is coping with the stress of having a chronic disorder. Effective stress management varies from person to person. Some approaches that may help include exercise, relaxation techniques such as meditation, and setting priorities for spending time and energy.

Keeping A Flare At Bay

Doctors have identified healthy habits that can help you avoid triggering a lupus flare.

* Always take your medication as prescribed.
    * Keep your doctor's appointments, even if you're feeling well.
    * Avoid taking sulfa drugs (sulfonomides) that are used to treat infections such as bronchitis and urinary tract infections.
    * Limit your exposure to sunlight; apply sunscreen before going outside during the day, and wear sun-protective clothing and a wide-brimmed hat.
    * Reduce your risk of infections.
    * Get plenty of rest.
    * Do not smoke.

Information obtained by lupus.org
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oluwa For This Useful Post:

Ellie Hansen (03-08-2012), GeoKasher (07-28-2011), Jeannetta (08-29-2011), Linda From Australia (06-29-2010), papillon (04-21-2013), serand4 (10-14-2012)

Thanks

Oluwa -
    Thank you for all the good info!! Its greatly appreciated!!
    Love Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

:shock:

There's another DUH! for me...I've always had problems with sulfa drugs, to the point I refuse to let the doctor give me a perscription with out checking to make sure it has NO sulfa in it.
    Oh look ... a cookie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sits_inthe_corner For This Useful Post:

soy (02-20-2013)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am so glad that Oluwa posted these! They are providing information that we all needed to know.....like our adversity to sulfa drugs!! :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

You're welcome.

Thank you for making them a stick'em.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Wow... Thanks very much Oluwa post this information. It really help alot.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have been living with SLE for 39 years. I recently was told that I have an auto-immune irritation in both of my eyes. The doctor has me taking cortisone drops in both eyes. --one drop, four times a day.I bought myself some eye vitamins too. My eyes seems to be feeling better now after three weeks of treatments. I am no longer having visual disturbances.Ifirst discovered something was wrong with my vision, when I was in the sun, it looked like there was glitter sparkling in my right eye, and it looked like there was a fuzzy area in the center of my vision in my that eye. Praise the Lord, things are looking pretty good again. no more glitter sparkling in the sun.You have to visit your eye doctor for regular checkups when you have lupus. We lupus people can allso have a problem with dry eyes.-Sjogrens is the name of the problem related to dry eyes. Good luck. Happy summer.
    Last edited by preshad; 04-15-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: miss spelled word

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have found through experience that Sulfa drugs triggered a flare up for me. I now say that I am allergic to Sulfa

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are absolutely right. Many Lupus patients suffer flares from Sulfa drugs. So I, too, tell my doctors that I am allergic to Sulfa!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Good information thanks!!! I get so busy at times,that I fail to listen to my body
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Take Care,
    Becky

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wrightrs For This Useful Post:

Farmour (03-17-2013)