Thread: pain with bad weather

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default pain with bad weather

does anyone here have lupus aches and pains when it rains? my friends and loved ones call me their own personal meteorologist....i can ALWAYS tell it's going to rain before it does...my joints and muscles get achy and hot. and almost always after the rain actual starts? my pain goes away. my husband won't even watch the weather channel anymore! he listens to me instead! LOL! i asked my rheumy about this and he said there is really nothing to do about it. i refuse to believe that. of course i've tried taking tylenol arthritis and so forth but until that rain breaksthrough nothing works. i live in florida the land of rainy summers and lots of hurricanes lately! LOL! so this summer has been a nightmare for me. does anyone here feel any pain with bad weather? and if so what do you do about it? HELP!
    I was diagnosed with lupus at the age of 14. I am now 29.

Thanks

Default i sort of understand...

I used to live in Florida, and for me it was more the stress of the bad weather that affected me. I haven't really paid attention to actual rain effects though.... the fear of thunderstorms, and hurracaines always had me hiding in the bathtub, and headachy and well, just achy all over. my fevers, headaches, joint pains and everything else seemed to get worse when the weather was bad, but again for me it was mostly stress. My doctore did tell me though, that rainy weather does affect the joints a little more than normal. he made reference to the humidity affecting joints as it would affect a car.. that they tend to move slower, and may get a little rusty//
    I'm not sure if he was being kind and funny, or a doctor at the time though. But it makes sense that the humidity would affect us. I drove in a car with out AC down there, and you must knwo that you have to drive EVERYWHERE in South Florida, so that was bad! I definetly dont miss that!
    The only thing i can suggest is to try and stay indoors, and cool. also try Aleve, i recently started taking it, and the my arm/shoulder (which had been acting up) is doing much better.
    Feel better!

Thanks

Hey there!
    I find that the weather bothers me alot. Also my 16yr old son broke his knee cap several years ago and he can predict the weather too. He is in so much pain when it is about to rain. It eases after the rain. We use aleve and advil.
    Kathleen Gardo

Thanks

My high school Spanish teacher would always tell us before it was going to rain, because she could tell by her knee.

Some people say it's something about barometric pressure changing.................who knows?

Thanks

Default me too

i feel more joint pain when it is raining, too. i remember right before i was diagnosed, i had the worse joint pain of my life! i had to crawl to the bathroom. it was raining so hard that day!!!

Thanks

yeah that's really something...and when i tell my rheumy about it he basically tells me there's really nothing i can do about it...he says to take tylenol (i can't take ibuprofen right now due to my proteinuria)...and of course tylenol does absolutely NOTHING to help so i'm back to square one...have you asked your rheumy about that? if so, was he helpful? what advice did he give you?
    I was diagnosed with lupus at the age of 14. I am now 29.

Thanks

I can testify about pain corresponding with fluctuations in the barometric pressure. Years ago, this was dismissed, but now my physician said that there have been many patients who can testify to this fact. I can predict a change in the weather with my joints too. And I live in Missouri where the motto is: If you don't like the weather now, wait a minute. There is more documented evidence of this. If a physician disagrees, perhaps it's that they're not getting continuing medical education.

Good luck,
    Leigh