Thread: Experience with a Vitamin B12 Shot!

Thanks

Default Experience with a Vitamin B12 Shot!

Hi all.

Well today I did the unthinkable. I managed to give myself the Vitamin B12 shot. My twin sister is visiting me and she told me that she would be by my side lol. I got the needle loaded and a very bad case of the nerves hit me. The needle on the syringe is long and boy I thought that I was going to pass out just looking at it. She kept telling me come on Kathy you can do this. Hehe I told her, well why don't you do this first and then I will follow you. She did not like that idea at all. I got myself all psyched up and thought well I will not put the needle all the way in my leg, but shoot the my hand slipped big time. That darn needle went all the way in and I nearly panicked. My heavens that hurt big time. I said "oh no" now what do I do? She yelled push the darn medicine in. I did and got that needle out of my leg as fast as I could. Somehow I got through it. I just dread next month, big time. Well this is how my day started out.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

One down, you conquered it. How did you feel? Think it worked?

Thanks

Yeah Kathy, you did it!! I'm so proud, that took a lot of courage. I don't mind needles, but to do it yourself is a tough one to conquer. As Pretty in Pink asked, how did you feel? Is it worth it, make you feel better? We're curious to know. Before you know it you'll be a pro at it and giving advice on how to do it :lol: .
    Cheryl

Thanks

omg I dont think I could have done it. Let me know how it works

Thanks

Hi all.
    I do definitely think that the B12 shots do help a lot. I don't have the problems with my memory that I had before I started them. I was forgetting simple things. I also no longer have the horrible sores in the corners of my mouth that I had before I started the shots. I was shocked that the shot did not leave a bruise on my leg. I just have a little red mark is all and no pain at the site. I am glad that I got that done with and hopefully I will not have a problem giving myself the shot next month. I do think that I do feel better from the shot. From what the doctor told me, that I absolutely have to have the shots or I will die as I can not in any ways absorb the B12 through my stomach or intestines as I no longer produce Intrinsic Factor and that is needed to obsorb the B12. I can not in anyways take any pill form as it wil not work for me. The only way for me to get B12 is by deep intramuscular injections. I have faced a lot in my life and I know now that I can deal with this too.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:

Thanks

Sorry your body won't absorb it. Glad no bruising and that it helped .
    Cheryl

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Kathy,

Well, it might not have been a perfect "textbook" injection, but you did it! I know how you have been worried and afraid of having to deal with needles. None of us like it when a nurse gives an injection, let alone having to learn to give ourselves one. It's scary stuff, but you did it. You mentioned the positive effects that the B12 gives you. Those positive effects will only add to you confidence, and soon those needles will be just a minor little thing, and nothing to worry about at all.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Congrats Kathy and ditto to everything that Rob said! :lol:
    The thing is, You Did It and each time, it will become a bit easier and less scary!!
    The B12 shots have really been working well for me, I'm glad to hear that they are having positive effects for you!

You Go Girl!! :multi:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi Saysusie,
    Thank you for your incouragement. I think that the shots definitely do help. I had asked my doctor what would happen if I did not get the injections and he told me right out that I would eventually die. I looked it up on the internet and he is right. I am going to adjust to this, as it is just another little stumbling block along the way in life. I decided to get my syringes from Rite Aide as they have the 1 inch needles instead of the 1 and 1/2 inch needles so that will make it easier too. I will do ok. I do feel better since I started the injections. The ugly sores in the corners of my mouth are now gone and my tongue is no longer sore big time. I was also having shortness of breath and that is improving now too. The shots are working thank heavens.

Hugs,
    Kathy

Medications: