Thread: Plaquenil dose?

Thanks

Default Plaquenil dose?

hello there, I am back on track...
    Just saw my rheumatologist today, or shall I say yesterday as i just woke up at 4 am with muscle cramps in my calf. Anyway, the doc asked me to be on 200mg plaquenil once daily and one baby aspirin and asked for some bld tests as the last ones done were in january. I was wondering if one tablet is enough as my both docs I have seen in canada and lebanon have put me on 2 pills 200 mgs aday. The problem is that she seems hesitant when talking and asked me if I ever did a kidney biopsy!! I said no and I personally dont think I need one as am not in pain and my symptoms are mild! I am confused as the rheumatologists are rare here in KSA and the good ones are scarce! So what do u think?

Thanks

Ghina,
    Someone with a LOT more knowledge than I will be along soon, but I can tell you what just happened with me last week. I was originally put on 200mg once per day by my PCP. She also sent me to a rheumie. After hearing what had been going on with me, he was very happy that my doc took the initialtive to put me on Plaq., but was dissapointed, because he said that once a day is NOT enough. He doubled my dose last week. I am also on 20mg of prednisone. He hopes that by next monts appt, I will have enough plaquenil in my system to wean off/take lower dose of prednisone.
    I DO remember reading here before (I think from Oluwa or Saysusie) that sometimes they will start you on 200 1x day to see if your stomach can handle it (it can cause stomach upset - not at ALL with me). When they determine you can tolerate that dose, they usually will up it to 2x per day. Im pretty sure thats what was said here before, but, as I said, someone with the accurate info will be along shortly.
    Are you on prednisone too?
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

hey lauri
    i've been on prednisone twice so far, after delivering my baby as my lupus got so bad and painful and I couldnt stand up or open my hands, and during the last pregnancy, but it didnt last.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ghina;
    The usual starting dose of plaquenil is 200 mg twice a day, or 400 mg once a day. The usual dosage works for most patients taking plaquenil, but it is possible to increase or decrease the dose based on individual needs. It's important to watch for possible side effects and toxicity, so most doctors will start at 400mg/day. Did you have stomach problems or any indications of toxicity when you previously used Plaquenil? If you tolerated it well, you might want to speak to your doctor to ask about the very low dose. Tell her that you've read about Plaquenil's use for Lupus and learned that the usual beginning dose is 400mg/day and that is the dosage that you used previously, with success. Tell her (don't ask) that you'd like to take 400mg/day and decrease the dosage if your symptoms respond favorably.
    Keep in mind that, patients taking plaquenil may begin to notice improvement after one or two months. However, it can take up to six months before full benefits of plaquenil are realized.
    I hope that this has been helpful. Let me know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hey there,
    I just called my doc today and she said I can take plaquenil twice instead! It bothers me that I have to tell my doc that! I am glad as well to have a reference now to get to, thats u great lupies!
    I have never had any stomach problems or any side effects when taking plaquenil, but I really never took it for a whole month ops:
    I turned out to have some proteinurea, high ESR, scatered ANA and mild anemia which is typical.
    I was trying to look for smth in realtion with the foods that are not good for Lupies, are there any that we better avoid? I know we shoudl eat healthy but anything in specific?
    Once again, I cant express my happiness for finding this site, I feel soo not alone!
    thanks

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

we have been told to avoid alfalfa seeds because they may worsen the disease because alfalfa contains an immune system-stimulating compound called L-canavanine, which may trigger lupus flares. But recommendations on how diet and nutrition affect lupus seem to be few and far between, despite the fact that doctors postulated more than 15 years ago that diet might be one of the possible future therapies for people with this disease.
    Basically, we are advised to eat a healthy and balanced diet because everyone feels better when they eat better, but that's about it. Patients with lupus may benefit from a balanced diet limited in calories and fat (especially saturated and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids), containing rich sources of vitamin E, vitamin A (beta carotene), selenium and calcium. Vitamin E, vitamin A, and selenium are antioxidants and may have anti-inflammatory properties in people with lupus. Also potentially beneficial are fish oils (which contain omega-3 fatty acids), evening primrose oil, flaxseed, a plant herb called Tripterygium wilfordii, and supplements of a weak male hormone called dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). Some say to stay away from zinc, which is found in meat and shellfish, especially oysters, it enhances immune response, and we don't want to help an immune system fight itself.
    People with lupus should limit fat intake to less than 30% of total calories, and may want to avoid substances rich in omega-6 fatty acids including safflower oil, sunflower oil, poppy seed oil, and corn oil, because these fats may exacerbate the disease, according to studies in rodents.But the omega-3 fatty acids contained in the oils of several fish varieties, including mackerel, tuna, whitefish, and herring, may slow the disease and have an anti-inflammatory effect.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!