Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Antiphospholipid antibodies

Thanks

Default Question about Antiphospholipid antibodies

Hi all,
    I have a question that is really nagging me to no end. My daughter just had a baby. Well she has had a headache for 11 days. She has also had a miscarriage in the past and a tubal pregnancy. She told me that the doctor told her that she has a clot in her arm at the site of where she had an IV. I am wondering if she could have antiphospholipid antibodies. Her doctor wants her to see a Neurologist for her headache. I am really worried about her as I have Lupus and have had it most of my life. Do you think that I am worrying needlessly? Whenever I try to mention anything to do with Lupus with her, she blows me off big time. Anyone have any answers?

Thanks,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I too have the same anti-bodies and then some. I was also worried about my children when I was told about Lupus and that was the first thing I asked about. both the Rheumy and the neuro told me that this is not something that I can pas down to my children. I am just like you how ever. when ever one of them gets sick, I start to overanalyze. I can tell you that I had a headache one time for 28 days---that really got me PO'd

the only thing that took it way was the hydrocodone that I got from the rheumy. she told be that sometimes they get in to a "cycle" it it just has to be broken. that was the first and last time I ever had one of those.

hope this helps and put your mind somewhat at ease. good luck and god bless!

Thanks

Kathy,
    Did your daughter have high blood pressure during her pregnancy? She may still have it, if so, and that is a huge cause of headaches. What about lack of sleep, dehydration? (I know that sounds so simple, but when you have a new baby, you forget to drink plenty of water - especially if she is nursing, and obviously getting up and down all night. Just a couple of ideas...I know nothing about antiphosphilid syndrome, so these are just some "maybe" s that have nothing to do with that...
    Try not to worry...Im sure its hard...but its probably something simple related to just having had a baby!! (he so beautiful by the way!!!Congrats)
    lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I cannot tell you if she does or does not have Antiphospholipid antibodies. I will give you information about it and how it affects miscarriages:

Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome means that a personís blood contains antibodies against specific types of phospholipids. Phospholipids are a normal and necessary component in human cells and cells of most other living creatures. When a person has antibodies against phospholipids, this can cause tiny clots in the personís blood and increase the tendency toward medically important blood clots, such as deep vein thrombosis. Antiphospholipid syndrome increases the risk of many different health problems, ranging from stroke to cardiovascular issues.

Antiphospholipid syndrome can be caused by an autoimmune disease, such as lupus, or it can be a primary condition without any known autoimmune disease. About 2% to 4% of the general population has antiphospholipid antibodies, and over half of those have primary antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Antiphospholipid syndrome is a factor in about 15% of women who have recurrent miscarriages. About 10% of people who are diagnosed with antiphospholipid syndrome will ultimately be diagnosed with an autoimmune disease.

Researchers have found that having antiphospholipid syndrome can increase women's chances of recurrent miscarriages. The reason for this is unclear; some researchers believe that antiphospholipid syndrome causes tiny blood clots to block the blood supply to the placenta. Others believe that having antiphospholipid syndrome may interfere with the fertilized eggís ability to implant in the lining of the uterus.
    Antiphospholipid syndrome is well established as a cause of later miscarriages (with or without Lupus) but doctors are still unsure of the role that antiphospholipid antibodies might play in early miscarriage.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hey you guys thanks for the answers and yes they do help. My daughter's husbands birthday was yesterday and he turned 25. My husband and I went to their house and babysat so that she could take her husband out to supper. Shoot they were back within an hour. I said, what to heck, why are you back so soon? I made my husband take them to a pool hall for them to shoot pool and have a few beers. My husband went and got them around 10:00pm and brought them back home. They had a really good time. This morning my daughter told me that the headache was gone. She was feeling a lot better. I think she just needed to be away from the baby and the stress for a while. She wanted me to spend the night and I wanted to, but we have the two dogs and they do not mind my husband at all. He has no patience with the dogs and he does not like the smaller dog, because she is rather mean and does bite. She has never bitten me but she bit him when he tried to put her in her kennel for the night. She did not break the skin, but it was not good and he threatened to shoot her, so I can not in anyways leave her with him. Sabastian minds, but Shelby is a bit stubborn. I don't have a problem with her, but he does. I have to tell Betsy that she can not leave her here again and that is sad. I know she is going to be mad with me, but shoot, I can not help it. Anyways my daughter is feeling so much better and I am glad of that. Sorry this is rambling and long.

Hugs,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Kathy;
    I am happy to hear that she is doing better and that being so makes you feel better. That was so sweet of you and your husband to take them back out so that they could enjoy themselves.
    Are you dog sitting or are both dogs going to be with you permanently? If so, you may have to do something to help the other dog to obey your husband so that you can spend the night with your daughter occassionaly :cry:
    Again, I'm glad that she is better!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Saysusie,
    I am definitely not keeping these dogs permanently. The pure bred Golden Retriever, Sabastian, belongs to my son. He will never give him up as he dearly loves the dog. Sabastian is going to be with us until August when my son gets back from Georgia. My son raised him from a puppy and he loves him dearly. I really like Sabastian, but he demands a lot of attention and is very jealous of the other animals when he sees them getting any attention. He is well trained and a very very good dog. The little dog, Shelby is my son's girlfriends dog. She will be getting her dog back this Saturday, thank heavens. Shelby does not mind well at all and has a stubborn streak a mile wide. She is cute, but just a real handful. I don't think that I will ever own a dog, it is to much work. I have two cats that are orange and white and they dislike the dogs big time. The dogs leave them alone, because they do not like getting their noses scratched, hehehehe. I get along ok with the dogs, but will be glad when they go home. I will be able to spend more time with my grandson once Shelby is out of here. My husband has no problem with Sabastian, but he can not get along with Shelby. Shelby bit my husband once and she bared her teeth to me one time and I took my shoe off and smacked her on the nose and told her that she is not going to do that to me ever again and she has never bared her teeth and growled at me again. The dogs both love me and follow me around like a shadow. I like them, but they are definitely going home eventually.

Kathy

Medications:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Kathy;
    I know what you mean. Having a dog is almost like having a child. They need constant attention, care and nurturing. Like you, we have two cats. One was mine, the other was Lauri's and we took her after Lauri passed away. This cat (Alexis) was like Lauri's baby, she held her, carried her around, slept with her, etc. So, Alexis is a very, very affectionate cat. I often tell people that, if they do not like cats, they must meet Alexis, she will make them love cats. Alexis will climb on your lap, up to your chest and actually give you a hug!
    Now, my cat (Pharaoh) is standoffish, unsociable and only comes around you when he wants his face scratched or his belly rubbed. As soon as you are finished doing those things for him, he takes of to his favorite hiding places and stays there. You could be in my house all day long and never know that Pharaoh is in the house :lol:
    But, both cats are very independent and they do not require a lot of attention, care or nurturing (which I think is true of most cats). So, for busy people, or people like us who have a hard enough time caring and nurturing ourselves, they are the perfect pets. At least that's my opinion.
    I'm glad that you will not have the dogs forever and don't feel bad about being relieved when they are gone. I understand!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Saysusie
    I will definitely be glad when the dogs go home, especially Shelby. She is the hardest thing to get along with. I have the two cats and they have very different personalities too. They both love attention, but the one is more vocal then the other one. My female kitty, Bisquit will sound like she is saying mama and it is so cute. Stubby tail will just mainly meow once and then get petted and he is on his way. They are both adorable kitties.

Kathy

Medications:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The problem with our cats is that my husband is a bit allergic. So, they do not get to roam around as much as I would like. They are both de-clawed so we do not let them out. My husband put in a cat door in the laundry room. Outside, he built a large wire cage (about 10 X 4). On one end we put down grass for them to roll around in, on the other end is their litter box, climbing toys, houses, play mice, etc. etc. Unfortunately, they spend most of their time in their.
    He felt so bad about having them have to stay in there that he put in a separate heating and air conditioning unit in their room with their plush beds and piped in music (my hubby is a riot - thinks everyone and everything needs to be surrounded by music). He golfs every day, so from 11:30 am until 6:00 pm, they are in the house with me. But, when it is dinner time, we have to put them in their room because hubby starts sneezing, snorting, hacking, rubbing his eyes, crying etc. He hates to always have to take medication because it makes him so groggy :lol:
    After we put them up, I often go into their room 4/5 times per night to just sit and play with them. They get to a point where they've had enough of me and wander outside. so, if figure that they are ok!

Saysusie