Thread: Cold/Flu

Thanks

Default Cold/Flu

I kind of have a dumb question. But bear with me, I was just diagnosed at the end of July and am still fairly new at this.

Anyway, my son started kindergarten this year and has already brought home several cold/flu illnesses. I seem to catch them a lot easier and a lot more violent than I ever did before being diagnosed with SLE. Is it because of the SLE that I am catching these illnesses the way I am? I just wondered if one had any bearing on the other. Thanks.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Mommychristy:
    There is no such thing as a dumb question. All of us Lupies have an already compromised immune system and we (including you) are not able to fight off viruses or infections as well as those people who do not have a compromised immune system. Your compromised immune system makes you more vulnerable to colds and flus.
    There is a lot of debate as to weather or not lupus patients should receive the flu shot. Some doctors say yes because of our weakened immune system and some doctors say no because of our weakened immune system.
    It is really hard for a parent with small children, who go to school and pick up every else's germs, to fight off the myriad of viruses, infections and germs that comes home with their children.
    Talk to your doctor about your situation and ask if you should get a flu shot. Especially since this is going to be a really bad flu season this year and flu shots are in a critically short demand.

Best Of Luck
    Saysusie :lol:

Thanks

Before I stopped working, I was sick allllllllllllll the time! I worked in a busy WIC clinic with low-income familes - lot's of sick kids all the time. Now, I'm on immune suppressants, so I'm very careful not to be around people who are sick. And even though I'm on immune suppressants, I seem to get sick a lot less often than when I was working, without the immune suppressants.

My Nephrologist thought a flu shot was a good idea (it was a dead virus, so cannot get you sick - the live ones, like the nasal spray can), so I was able to get one yesterday.....no problems so far.

Missy