Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what about the reproductive system?

Thanks

Default what about the reproductive system?

Does Lupus attack the reproductive system?

K

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lupus is very different for each person and symptoms vary, both in kind and in severity, greatly not only from patient to patient, but also from time to time in the same patient. Lupus can affect ANY part of the body. Some scientists believe there may be a link between estrogen and Lupus. Because of this they recommend that Lupus patients do not use estrogen containing birth control methods. Lupus patients have a much greater risk for miscarriage and high risk pregnancies than the normal population. Patients with the antiphospholipid antibody, in particular, are at greater risk for miscarriage. If you are hoping to become pregnant, you should discuss this thoroughly with your Rheumatologist and your OB/GYN.
    Some of the treatments used in Lupus can cause infertility such as Cytoxan. Family planning should be discussed before beginning any aggressive immunosuppressive therapy.
    Lupus patients can get ulcers similar to the ones they get in their mouth or nose in their genital area. Discoid lesions as well as Bullous SLE lesions in the genital area also occur. Fungal infections secondary to immunosupression is also common.
    Between the chronic pain, and fatigue, and the stresses of dealing with chronic illness loss of sexual desire is very common in Lupus. Also many of the medications used to treat Lupus, particularly anti-depressants list loss of sexual desire as a side effect.
    Sometimes referred to as early menopause, Premature Ovarian Failure is defined as Amenorrhea (cessation of periods) before age 40 due to failure of the ovaries. One of the causes of this is Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Patients with this condition go through all the symptoms of menopause at a very young age sometimes as young as in their teens.

I hope that this has answered your question. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Saysusie, Thank you for replying. No I am not looking to get pregnant, Im 47 and have just been to the gyne for a bleeding issue.Before examining me he was thinking that I was just starting perimenopause but after examining he thinks I have fibroids. Having an ultrasound on thursday. I was wondering if lupus affected in this way. The occurrence of fibroids, polyps (which I had on my cervix also) prolonged bleeding (3 weeks now), severe cramping.....blah, blah, blah. Sometimes this season of my life really stinks.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I haven't heard or read too much about Lupus and fibroids :lol: However, I also had fibroids during my pre-menopausal years! I'm not sure if Lupus had any affect or not, but many of my co-workers (who did not have Lupus) suffered with fibroids and irregular menstruation also. So, I am leaning towards "no". :?

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi Kasey..

I also have fibroids and cysts...remember when we were chatting it up about irregular menses, my D&C with my thick endo-lining. But no bleeding with mine...Amenorrhea, possible SLE related for me. I was in the midst of a huge flair without my extra dry martini when the event stopped...

I also have women friends who has/had fibroids, irregular menses and no IT...

So, I too would lean towards, a no with fibroids and SLE..

Since I had been researching the roids for me, I will share my finds...

Hugs,
    Oluwa.

Uterine fibroids are noncancerous growths of the uterus that often appear during your childbearing years. Also called fibromyomas, leiomyomas or myomas, uterine fibroids aren't associated with an increased risk of uterine cancer and almost never develop into cancer.

As many as three out of four women have uterine fibroids, but most are unaware of them because they often cause no symptoms. Your doctor may discover them incidentally during a pelvic exam or prenatal ultrasound.

In general, uterine fibroids cause no problems and seldom require treatment. Medical therapy and surgical procedures can shrink or remove fibroids if you have discomfort or troublesome symptoms. Rarely, fibroids can require emergency treatment if they cause sudden, sharp pelvic pain.Uterine fibroids develop from the smooth muscular tissue of the uterus (myometrium). A single cell reproduces repeatedly, eventually creating a pale, firm, rubbery mass distinct from neighboring tissue.

Fibroids range in size from seedlings, undetectable by the human eye, to bulky masses that can distort and enlarge the uterus. They can be single or multiple, in extreme cases expanding the uterus so much that it reaches the rib cage.

Doctors don't know the cause of uterine fibroids, but research and clinical experience point to several factors:

* Genetic alterations. Many fibroids contain alterations in genes that code for uterine muscle cells.
    * Hormones. Estrogen and progesterone, two hormones that stimulate development of the uterine lining in preparation for pregnancy, appear to promote the growth of fibroids. Fibroids contain more estrogen and estrogen receptors than do normal uterine muscle cells.
    * Other chemicals. Substances that help the body maintain tissues, such as insulin-like growth factor, may affect fibroid growth.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Waw waw waw,
    I am really amazed ladies! I thought I was the only miserable person who got SLE and a fibroid!! I was living in Canada when I conceived my daughter. The Medical system in canada, being free, wont let us see the obgyn till 12 weeks, and not allowed to have an US before 16 weeks. So I found out about the SLE and a huge cervical fibroid (22cmx13cmx9cm) at 17 weeks and was referred to a high risk pregnancy doc. Ofcoure it was that big after delivery and never diminished as they were hoping. Bcz of it I had a C-section. My obgyn, god bless her, who was a very supportive and wonderful lady always told me that I should be the happiest person on earth being so lucky to maintain my preganncy. After a year I got pregnant again and had a spontaneous abortion. I decided I should resolve the fibroid issue and instead of waiting in line to have my myomectomy I went to my country "Lebanon" and removed a 2.07 kgs single fibroid. I was at risk of having a hysterectomy(I am 30yrs old now) and once again I think I was lucky to still have my uterus. So after all, u think fibroids and SLE are not related? Hmmm, I think there should be more research on that!

Thanks

Ghina..

Wow, that is almost the size of me when I was born. I was 5lb 2 oz. I think, isn't 2.07 kg almost 5 pounds, a 5lb fibroid..

I think mine are maybe pearl sizes....

Why I said no, on the relation is because 3 out of 4 women get them from my reads. Maybe out of the 3 they are mostly women with IT..could be...Might be something there...

Keep well,
    Oluwa

Thanks

Women with lupus are at higher risk to develop ovarian cysts and endormetriosis.

Both can manifest w/ or w/o pain.

The only way to check for endo is w/ a laproscopy, which is not a fun surgery

Thanks

I have been scheduled for a hysterscopy and uterine abalation on the 22nd of July. I have fibriods and polyps in my uterus. A fibroid on the back wall of the uterus which could be pressing on the colon/intestine and causing some of my IBS stuff. Cysts on both ovaries.

There is some correlation between diabetes (another autoimmune disease) lupus, hypo-thyroid( another auto-immune disease) and the development of fibroids. HubbyMan did some research and found this out.

They will be looking at the lining of the uterus with their wee little camera and then burning the lining off. I will not be able to conceive anymore babies nor will I have anymore periods. I will however still have my uterus and ovaries and still have menopause symptoms. They are not to concerned with the cysts.

A hysterectomy was also an option but we felt that was a bit over-kill at this point.

Kasey

Thanks

Hi Kasey,

Today is your surgery. Thinking of you...Hugs.

Love,
    OLuwa