Thread: Shingles with Lupus

Thanks

Default Shingles with Lupus

Today I just found out that I have the shingles with a bad infection with it. I also have Lupus, which stinks on top of that. I thought it was just a really bad lupus rash but when I went to my Rhuemtologist, she said no. I also went today to the Dermatologist, and they said the same thing.
    They want me to go to the hospital because of the infection so I can get IV antibiotics.
    Does anybody know if Shingles is real common in younger people, I'm only 25 years old?
    I thought it only occurred in older people, but I guess I was wrong. I would never wish shingles on anybody because it hurts so bad, and with Lupus on top of that it makes it 10 times worse.
    I appreciate all the replies I get back, thank you so much.

sweetdoconnell

Thanks

Hi Sweetdoconnell

I am sorry to hear that you have the Shingles. I have Lupus and had this same thing minus the infection about 4 years ago. Shingles are very painful. I am wondering if you have had the chickenpox as a child. It is not uncommon for Lupus patients to get the shingles at any age. Our immune systems are comprimised and anytime you have a comprimised immune system you can get shingles. You see it in older folks that are so called healthy. I know that I got the full blown chickenpox at the age of 35, because I have never had them as a child and that really sucked big time. Whenever you are exposed to the Chickenpox you can end up with the Shingles. I hope that I have answered your question. I am sure that Saysusie will have more information for you. I sure hope that you get over the shingles pretty quickly. God Bless.

Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Patients with lupus are more susceptible to infections because they have altered immune systems, and also because many of us are on treatment (steroids & cytotoxics) that suppresses the immune system function, leaving us more prone to infection. Lupus patients, who get infections, frequently show worse clinical signs, & require longer treatment than non-lupus patients.
    The most common bacterial infections seen in lupus affect the respiratory tract and the urinary tract. However, Septic arthritis, tuberculosis, salmonella, cold viruses, & shingles are also very common, at any age as Kathy pointed out. The most common fungal infection seen in lupus is candida (thrush).
    So, Lupus patients are at an unusually high risk for contracting shingles (herpes zoster). Shingles is a skin rash caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. The virus responsible for these conditions is called the Varicella zoster virus (VZV). After an individual has chickenpox, this virus lives in the nervous system and is never fully cleared from the body. Under certain circumstances, such as emotional stress, immune deficiency (from Lupus, AIDS or chemotherapy), or with cancer, the virus reactivates causing shingles. In some cases, when a person develops an immune deficiency disease, such as Lupus, they are more susceptible to developing the virus.
    Hope this was also helpful to you. Let us know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I kno how u feel... i got the shingles when I was away at college... i was only 19!... yea its the worst feeling in the world. I actually had the chicken pox twice when I was a child so that is why I was so prone to getting the shingles now.

Thanks

As Saysusie stated, once anyone has had chicken pox (Varicella Zoster Virus), they can get shingles - it is caused by the same virus. Older people are susceptible because their immune systems are compromised from age - thus, the myth that only older people can get them. But ANYONE with a compromised immune system can get them. Ive had them more than three times...my immune system was messed up after a severe viral pneumonia 10 years ago. They are extremely painful. Did the doctor prescribe you anti-viral medication for shingles (usually Valtrex, alcyclovir, valcyclovir,etc)? Sometimes this can help lessen the length of time you have it. Shingles can last up to a month or more...
    What is the other infection you have...is it bacterial or viral? Either way, if the doc thinks you should have IV meds, I would do as they say. Our immune systems are compromised, and infections should be treated ASAP to avoid any further complications.
    I know how painful they are. Did they give you pain meds hopefully? Let us know how you make out!
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, anyone can get shingles, it's from coming into contact with somebody with chickenpox or shingles. I got shingles when i was 17! It's really itchy and irritating. I don't have lupus, so I can't even imagine how painful that must be for you. Cammomile lotion would help soothe it and stuff.