Thread: Dog Sitting

Thanks

Default Dog Sitting

This week is going to interesting for me for sure. I am dog sitting my son's golden retriever until August and his girlfriends little dog until next Saturday. Shelby is a mix between bull dog and Shepard and Sabastian is a pure bred golden retriever. Shelby barks at every little noise and sets the other dog off to barking. Good heavens, it is going to be an interesting week. I love the dogs, but are there any suggestions on how to get Shelby to calm down on the barking?

Thanks,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.

Thanks

For my dog, I say stop and put my hand in front of her face..like a halt.

Or I take her to the noise and say "There is nothing there"...

Or...when you see she is ready to bark, say no.

Or..when she is barking, tap her on the behind and say stop...without her seeing who tapped her...

Take her for a walk a 20 minute walk in the morning, or play fetch with here in the yard..tired her out and do it again in the evening..easier to train when they are tired...

All these work for my Riley Mildred and she is a Jack Russell...you know the controlling dog. Small but they think they rule the world...

Cesar Milan says Exercise first, then discipline then affection...

L.,
    O.
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

I am finding that taking them outside and letting them run after a ball is helping big time. They love being outside and thank heavens they both mind when I tell them to come to me. My son has trained Sabastian very well and Shelby is in the process of being trained, but she is learning. She is only 4 months old. She is still just a baby. Sabastian is 1 and half years old. I think she is learning from him too and that helps. What is funny is that she will see herself in the mirror and I think it scares her. That is what makes her bark the most. I put a towel over the mirror and that helps a lot. I love dogs, so I am getting along with them pretty well. Thank you for the suggestions as they do help a lot.

Thanks,
    Kathy
    Lupus for many years. Like most of my life. Sjogrens that started at 35 and Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteo-Arthritis of the spine, Ankylosing Spondilitis, Periferal Neuropathy, mild CP and now just recently diagnosed with PA. I had a disc replaced in December of 2007.

Medications:
    Plaquenil, Sulindac, Imuran, Celiac diet, Tramadol and B12 shot once a month.