Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UTI and flank pain, want some in sight.

Thanks

Default UTI and flank pain, want some in sight.

I was to my primary physician yesterday and found out I have a really bad UTI, I have also been having a sore throat off and on, and pain under my ribcage in the front. I am not sure if I should call the Rheum. and let them know what is going on as well. She put me on 10 days worth of Cipro. I had a fever of 99.3, yesterday. My blood pressure is not high but it is higher than normal. I have some pitting in my legs as well. Would like your opinion. Thanks.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I would mention the pain under your rib cage to your rheumatologist. Especially if it is painful upon breathing or taking a deep breath and your elevated blood pressure (which could be just stress).
    One of the most common symptoms of Lupus is a low grade fever such as yours, but that may also be due to the infection (infections tend to cause low grade fevers - the body is trying to fight the infection). The sore throat could be due to a number of issues, this is also something that you should discuss with your doctor.
    Let me know what your doctor says.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi lcasnyder..

It's been three, any improvement? Hope so...sough tout your doctor as Saysusie suggested..

Hope today is better..hugs.
    Love,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

Things have not gotten any better. I am having alot of pain in my kidneys. I called the Rheum. after I got the results from the doctor about the culture. The culture came back with no specific bacteria. They now want me to come in for a vaginal culture. I am at a lose here. I don't understand why they are doing a vaginal culture. I don't understand why the Rheum. hasn't gotten back to me. The other night I was having slight pain in my chest as well as the pain in my kidneys. I just feel like I should be worried about this and just let nature take its course. I am getting know where with the physicians at least that is how I feel. I am on day 5 of the antibiotic and feel no different, if anything I feel worse. I don't know what to do anymore.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

When are you supposed to go in for the vaginal culture? Between now and then, make a list of your symptoms, how they feel, where you feel the pain, when the pain is most severe, etc. Usually, the first test is a urinalysis. Urine culture is often done to identify the organism causing infection and to determine which antibiotics will be effective. For women, a sample of vaginal discharge is examined on a slide using a microscope.
    Infection can be either Cystitis or Urethritis. Cystitis is defined as inflammation of the urinary bladder. Urethritis is aninflammation of the urethra, which is the passageway that connects the bladder with the exterior of the body. Sometimes cystitis and urethritis are referred to collectively as a lower urinary tract infection, or UTI. Infection of the upper urinary tract involves the spread of bacteria to the kidney and is called pyelonephritis.
    When cystitis (bladder infection) is suspected, the doctor will first examine your abdomen and lower back, to evaluate unusual enlargements of the kidneys or swelling of the bladder. The next step in diagnosis is collection of a urine sample. The procedure differs somewhat for women and men. Laboratory testing of urine samples can now be performed with dipsticks that indicate immune system responses to infection, as well as with microscopic analysis of samples. Normal human urine is sterile. The presence of bacteria or pus in the urine usually indicates an infection. The presence of hematuria, or blood in the urine, may indicate acute UTIs,kidney disease, kidney stones, inflammation of the prostate (in men), endometriosis (in women), or cancer of the urinary tract.
    Female patients require a pelvic examination as part of the procedure to obtain urine specimens. The patient lies on an obstetrical table with legs in thestirrups. The doctor first takes a vaginal culture smear. The patient is then asked to void while lying on the table. The first five to 10 ml are collected to test for urethral infection. A midstream urine sample of 200 ml is thenc ollected to test for bladder infection.
    In women, a vaginal bacterial count that is higher than those of the two urine samples, indicates vaginitis. A high bacterial count in the first urine sample indicates urethritis. A count of more than 104 bacteria CFU/ml (colony forming units per milliliter) in the midstream sample indicates a bladder or kidney infection. A colony is a large number of microorganisms that grow from a single cell within a substance called a culture. Bacterial count can be given in CFU or colony forming units.
    With kidney problems, sometimes symptoms occur but are very general and difficult for the doctor to connect to the kidney. For example, a general feeling of illness (malaise), loss of appetite, nausea, or generalized itching may be the only symptoms of chronic kidney failure. In older people, mental confusion may be the first recognized symptom of infection or kidney failure. Symptoms that are more suggestive of a kidney or urinary problem include pain in the side (flank), swelling of the lower extremities, and problems with urination.
    Pain caused by the kidneys is typically felt in the flank area, which is in the back, just at the lower edge of the ribs on either side of the spine. Pain caused by the kidneys tends to be sharp, severe and occur in waves.It is rare for the kidneys to cause dull, aching pain. People sometimes equate back pain with kidney pain, but dull aching pain in the back -- especially the lower back or the middle of the back -- is usually due to muscles, ligaments, or even vertebrae and disks in the spinal column. Musculoskeletal pain typically gets worse with movement, and is relieved by heat or massage.Pain caused by kidney infection (pyelonephritis) is related to infection and inflammation within the kidney tissue. Infection causes the kidney to swell, and stretches the pain-sensitive capsule surrounding the kidney, leading to a sharp, aching pain.
    The two medical terms for the kidney disease that occurs in systemic lupus erythematosus are lupus nephritis or lupus glomerulonephritis. There are very few signs or symptoms of lupus nephritis and, more importantly, it does not cause pain in the abdomen or back as does kidney infection! However, when protein leaks from the kidneys, it is eliminated from the body in the urine, there is usually foamy, frothy urine and you are getting up to urinate during the night. All of these symptoms can suggest excessive protein loss.
    Since you are experiencing such pain in your kidney area, your doctors are suspecting some type of infection more than nephritis - hence the vaginal culture.
    However, it is still important, at you next visit, to insist that you doctor check the cause for your chest pains. Do not let them bypass this issue. Please keep us advised!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I had both blood and protein in my urine last week, when they did the UA. They sent that sample out to see if what bacteria was present and no specific bacteria was found. I am having awful pain in my flank area. I have no appetite. I have no desire for anything. I am peeing between 3-4 times a day. I have yet to have to get up through the night. The pain in exceptionally worse at night when I lay down. I am having a lot of pain today, no matter what I do. The pain comes in waves, it is ok and then it gets really painful. I am nauseated as well. I been having numerous bowel movements today as well. It is like my body is trying to eliminate everything that is in it. I still have slight pitting in my legs. I have yet to hear anything from the Rheum. I feel like I am playing a waiting game. The only good thing about today is that my sister-in-law went into labor and am waiting to hear what she had. I am really tired as well. I am going to bed at like 10 p.m. and waking up around 10 a.m. and am ready to take a nap about 2 hrs. later. I have two small kids, but they don't wear me out that bad. I just really feel like something is really wrong. I felt this way before I was diagnosed with Lupus, like something was really wrong. I had to fight with the dr.'s for about 2 yrs. until I found one that would listen. I just feel like they are blowing my off right now. I know that my kidney are not something to play around with especially when Lupus is involved. My other concern is the fact that the test that confirmed my diagnosis of Lupus was the double stranded dna. I have been told that this test usually indicates that there is organ involvement. Hence my worrying about my kidneys. If I shouldn't be worried, say so, but I still feel like something is really wrong.

Thanks

lcsnyder -
    Im sorry to hear of your pain and feeling lousy...do you have a temperature? Either way, how about going to the emergency room? First off, you'll get an answer right away, and any infection they may give you a power blast of IV antibiotics to et you started. Kidneys are nothing to mess with - particularly with lupus. Just tell the ER doc you are on antibiotics and are STILL in alot of pain, feel really sick, etc. This issue is definately ER warranted. Dont wait for the others....
    Love Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Blog Entries
    Thanks

lcasnyder:
    I agree with Lauri, the continued pain is something that should be dealt with right away. Perhaps the emergency room is a good way to get some immediate results.
    We have no way of knowing if you should be worried or not, but, as I've mentioned before, some of the symptoms that you've described do warrant immediate attention by medical professionals.
    If you do take Lauri's advice about the emergency room, please let us know what was done for you and how you are doing.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Am at a lose.

Here is an update. I called the Rheum. I was given an appt. for yesterday. On my way down there I developed an awful pain in my lower right pelvis and I also had to pull over along side the road to throw up.

I get to the appt. and the doctor examines me. I tell him that I have been having alot of bone and muscle pain. I am extremely tired. I am having problems falling asleep and then when I do I have a hard time waking up. I don't have an appetite again. I told him about the urine. I have had blood in urine twice.

He proceeds to tell me that he thinks that the lupus is quiet, but wants me to go to the ER to have them do some labs and look into the pain I am having in my lower pelvis.

So, I go the ER...

Once I arrive at the ER no one was there. They took me back to the URI-care center. I give them a urine sample, they send me for a CT scan, and drew blood. The urine came back with mild Leuk. Est., the Epi. cell were elevated, and there was 1+ bacteria. The blood work showed an elevated SED and CRP. My EOS and my MPV were low. The C3, C4, and double stranded dna, and my pap results won't be back for 48 hours the doctor told me. She also left me know that I have swollen lymph nodes in my abdomen. I am concerned about this because of my spleen being enlarged. They didn't seem to concerned with this.

I go tomorrow to see my primary physician. I am also concerned because off and on my sugars have been screwy. All day on Monday I wasn't able to get my sugars out of the 70's. The doctors did a GTT test two weeks ago and my numbers were fine with that for them, but when I got home after doing the 3 hour test. My sugar was 69 and I found out that the last sugar for them was 91. I don't really know what to think here people. I know I feel like something is really wrong again, like I did when I was persistent enough until I found out I had Lupus. I feel like I am being blown off now because I have the Lupus diagnosis. The ER doctor said to me numerous time; "Oh it is just related to the Lupus." The Rheum. seems to think that my Lupus is quiet. Well I don't think that my Lupus is quiet if my SED and CRP are elevated. I don't know what the double stranded dna has to say yet, but I just feel like something is up.

I have a lymph node on the back of my neck that they biopsied by in Feb. It came back fine. I am now concerned again though, because my spleen was enlarge, I know have enlarged lymphs in my ab. What would you think about all of this.

The only good thing in the ER was they actually gave me some pain meds.

Thanks

Hey there -
    Glad you let us know what was going on....I know Saysusie will be here with more precise and detailed info, but I do know this: Lymph nodes swell when there is infection - any kind of infection. I also know that sometimes elevated CRP and sed rate do not correlate with how we are feeling - but often times it can. It sounds to me (and, obviously, Im no doctor) that there is a kidney/bladder infection (bacteria 1+) which is causing the inflammation (elevated CRP and sed rate) and causing the lymph nodes to swell. The infection could have caused a flare, and the fatiigue, joint muscle pain could be from that.
    I am not comfortable, however, with them not being more concerned about your kidneys, and just saying, "its due to the lupus". You may need some stronger lupus meds to get any kidney problem under control. Im glad you got pain meds - kidney problems hurt like HECK!!
    Be persistent - dont let them tell you that you are fine, when there is obviously something going on...
    I hope you feel better soon - and get some answers...
    Love Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7