Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: any people who have careers or in school?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default student

Hi,
    I am 22 and currently go to school full time as well as work. I was recently diagnosed in march. I took a safe route, I have a sit down low stress job for a life insurance company. (paper work). I stopped going to college at night on campus because i was afraid i would have a flare and miss school. so i decided to do online classes. online classes are better but require alot of discipline. I start my program for cardiovascular in Jan, and i will have to go to school from 8-3, so i will have to adjust back to the campus life. but i wish you the best.

You can still pursue your dreams just take it one day at a time.
    laughter is the medicine for your worries and pain, watch funny movies! :lol:
    "Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."

Thanks

@purplepinkgrl Thanks! I wish I could do the sit down job thing, but a few months ago I started having pain from sitting. Sucks! Cant do anything comfortably anymore and cant stay woke long enough for it to even matter. Anyway, Good luck on your studies.

@bridget Hope you feel better
    @ oluwa thats the point of these thing right? no apology necessary

Thanks

I currently work for an environmental policy institute full time. Thankfully, it's a wonderfully supportive environment, so I can work from home whenever I need/want regardless of the lupus. I've now worked out with our director that I will officially work from home on Fridays and it seems to be helping a bit.

I'm also starting my Master of Public Administration in January. I found a program that meets once a week near my job and not too far away from home. I am a bit nervous about it.

Thanks

I'm currently studying for ym BA in Economic History and Economics, was gonna aim for a high powered graduate scheme type course, but i dont think i'll manage, i struggle to get into Uni most weeks. For my health i think i'll stick with a part-time or job share when i graduate, cause i don't wanna get worse just because of pursuing something. I had a PT job in a call centre for a bank and the way the stress of that made me feel ill has put me off it for life lol.
    Im not sure exactly what I'll do but im lucky that at 19 I do have a boyfriend who intends to stay with me in the long run, looks after me and supports my choices, so i've got that support
    I fully intend to complete my degree as im just about coping, but after that who knows :S

Thanks

Hey everyone.

I'm a 23year old female two months into a lupus nephritis diagnosis and on the world of pills. I'm currently doing an honours degree in BSc BioMathematics and the memory loss and brain fog is so not helping, I really just want to finish my last 6months, although I know it will be hard but I came so far already. At least I have comfort now knowing that i wasn't being neverminded, lazy and not using all my potential when I was studying towards my undergrad degree in BSc Mathematical and Statistical Sciences. Because at that time my mind felt sharp as a fiddle but the marks didn't reflect that and I'd beat myself up about it, i also just thought I had a weak immune system and that's why I got the flu really badly after every exam period...I was reading through the posts and got a lot of good tips, like going to the centre for students with disabilities, I actually did have an appointment to go in the week, before I read this but then I was out with backpain for the day so I missed it.
    It's nice knowing there are other people who were able to work and study and have very demanding and stressful jobs. I wanted to go into the Epidemiology field, but I don't know how I'm gona work around that now because being around people with infectious diseases isn't really a good thing, lol...but i'm sure i'll find a way to adapt. My mom told me to not let the Lupus get me down and stop me from doing something that I enjoy and that maybe i'll still be able to go do field work just with a mask on....lol, that would be weird, being in a meeting with a mask on....my main problem now is that alot of our lecturers and bursary schemes are calling on us now to apply for bursaries to do our Masters, i'm not even sure if i'll be able to finish my honours let alone Masters, but i'll apply for the bursaries and see what happens in the next few months...one thing i'm not clear on is is how easy is it for people with SLE to travel around etc etc....because that's a perk in my field, going to different countries etc..and I wanted to know if i'll be limited in that respect

Thanks

You could pull back and not take the opportunities that have been offered to you. Choose another field of work and do things that will make your life so much easier. But will you be happy?

Imagine if you pulled out of all your plans, just incase things got worse or because you are just waiting for things to get better and surprise surprise, you go into remission for years and you realise you have made some huge mistakes and missed out in an awsome life.

Personally if it was me, I would continue to make plans as if I was not sick and when things get bad, make some adjustments for the short term. If your future job takes you to other countries and you don't cope, then change your plans. You can always see if you can go back to that job when you feel better.

Don't be one of these people who say "if only". Life is so very much more precious now that you life is so delicate. After all my rambling, what I am basically saying is ... make a HUGE effort to to improve your health and life style so you can do the things you want to do. If you give in the the "I'm sick and therefore cannot do such and such," then you probably will not do those things. If you adopt the attitude of I tried and it didn't work out, then there is no regrets, just heaps of experiences and learning.

Go for it, look after yourself, take some breaks, but NEVER - NEVER - NEVER give up on your dreams and desires. You just have to work even harder to be healthy so you can do some extraordinary things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Thanks

Currently, I work part time at Home Depot (bookkeeping - I get to sit around and count money all day, lol!) It's nice because I'm pretty much isolated all day in a locked vault... meaning I don't have to run around on the floor and be bugged by customers. If I need / want to, I can lock it all up and go walk around for a bit, talk to fellow associates and get some fresh air. I pretty much work at my own pace. This is an ideal thing for me at the moment because I'm going back to school full time at the end of this month for nursing school. I've managed a BS in healthcare administration so far (no luck on the job front there due to the crappy economy).. and just finished up a certification as a Medical Assistant. Passed my state certification. Was going to work for a year as an MA, waiting for the nursing program, but they called a few weeks after my exam to tell me they had a spot ready for me now if I wanted it. I couldn't pass it up.

I plan to work as a nurse for as long as I can... Hopefully, my bachelor's will do me some good in moving up the ladder there and I can get into an administration position that won't be as physically demanding. I can see myself maybe getting into some kind of consulting type area where I could work from home at some point. I'm hoping that all of this will afford me the opportunities to deal with my disease as it progresses. So far, I've been immensely blessed to have instructors and bosses who are very understanding of my illness. I hope my luck continues in the future!
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

If we just continue to take the two steps forward each day and not care about the three steps backwards we can suceed. After forty years of doing it I know we all can.

Hope springs eternal; without it we fall

nonna

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are so right Nonna. We did not ask for this diease as many other dieases but if we are to continue with life and be happy we have to accept the pain and the flares as part of our life. We enjoy the good days and deal with the bad and then thank God we are still alive to enjoy both. I applaud all of you who are working so hard to accomplish your goals in life and i wish you sucess in all fields. I was a stay at home mom for almost all of my kids (3) for their young lives and then i took a night shift job in a nursing home for 21 years which i really loved till i got hurt and had to have 2 serious back operations. I always wanted to be a nurse but money and time with the kids detured this dream . But being a care giver to my residents and my children and now my grandchildren has been my life. I was diagnosed with lupus and myositis at age 58 that was three years ago. I am retired and so is my husband and we are helping to take care of our two youngest grandbabies who are 7 and 3 and it gives me joy. God bless all of you and hope all of your dreams come true. Love Bonita