Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: any people who have careers or in school?

Thanks

I think that is the key here...how often and how long our flares last. Last summer was one of the first times I was without symptoms in YEARS. I thought it would last longer, and went out and got an excellent job as a home inspector. Went to NY for training, started being able to wake up and go to work like a normal person, make money again, and then....BAM! I began getting symptoms again. I have always had so much energy, and graduated from college with high honors, while working and being a Mom....but when Im in a flare...it is physically impossible to much of anything....
    I ended up having to leave that job, as for one, I couldnt stay awake long enough during the day to be very productive and also the pain was unbearable. I was without any treatment at the time, but, regardless, I still wouldnt be able to predict WHEN I will feel OK and when I wont. The unpreductability is key....And some have flares more often or that last longer than others....Everyone is so different with this disease, you know?
    Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

Default go for it

I say do it while you can. I want to change careers, but my kids are teenagers and going to college themselves soon, or already there, so it is
    not possible, and given my health situation at the moment, it is not possible. Do it while you can, they make awesome money, and you can set yourself up really nicely for later in life.
    Wendi

Thanks

Default Starting school this August

I quit/was asked to leave my job the first week of June. I am really just beginning to understand lupus and have yet to receive a formal diagnosis... and that is partially my fault for not being as actively pursuant as I should be. I'm just tired. I have similar concerns about school. This will be my first college experience (I'm 23) after 6 years of working as a Cert. Nursing Assistant/Medical Assistant/Pathology Technician. I'm afraid that the work load will be too much. That I'll cave in to the anxiety and fatigue like I did in high school. I'm also concerned that my fiance won't be as supportive as he could be. He is a wonderful, caring person but he finds a lot of this hard to, I guess you could say, hard to believe. It's an invisible illness and I can see how he could be wary of it. I come off as being lazy and he gets resentful. I understand his feelings 100% but there is really no other way to explain my feelings to him other than just to say "I'm tired. I'm sorry. I want to help you, but I just can't." Now that I will be taking on school and will be home by 1 o'clock everyday, I'm afraid that he will expect the house to be immaculate since I will have "all this time on my hands." I also have well-medicated bipolar disorder with some aspects of ADD that make school a challenge. So it will take me longer to complete tasks even though I'm told by others that I'm "brilliant" and should do something more with my life. I guess frustrating is the right word for it all. OK, done venting! Thanks!

Bridget

Thanks

Hey Bridget -
    Maybe your doc can put you on some meds to control symptoms so you wont feel so lousy all the time...
    I understand about people not understanding your illness....it is very common...I am very fortuanate, as my hubby has NEVER doubted for a minute that I am sick...He saw me before all this happened - as a single mom, working nights and going to college full time during the day...He knows Im not even close to lazy, and that if I say Im tired, then I AM TIRED....Maybe you could get your fiance a book (The Lupus Book by Daniel Wallace is best) to see that though you may not LOOK sick - you ARE sick, and unable to keep up with what non-ill people can do.
    Do you think this is the best time for you to be starting school? Mabybe you should wait until you are under a docs care, so your not as symptomatic. You say you have not been officially Dxd...does your doc think you have lupus? Are you on any meds now?
    Whatever your "status" may be...please know you are always welcome here....Dxd or not...we understand how you feel....
    I hope you find some understainding soon, and that you feel better as well.
    Keep us posted as to how your are doing, OK?
    Love Lauri
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks

Thanks Lauri. I'm not on any meds (for lupus) as of right now. My doctor said that she thinks it's more of a Chronic Fatigue/Fibromyalgia type thing because my tests come back almost completely normal (except for the CRP with was 17.something.) I really don't feel like that's the answer, especially because there are no real effective treatments for those conditions. I'm on Provigil to fight fatigue and I take ibuprofen for pain. I also have some other psych meds to treat bipolar which are working quite well. I am thankful for this because bipolar is just as scary to me as lupus. My mother had severe bipolar disorder and commit suicide last June despite being closely monitored and medicated. I am just like her in every way, so it's important for me to take bipolar seriously. This whole lupus thing just throws me a curveball.

And as far as the school thing... I've paid the application fee 5 times for college and haven't gone through with it in the past. This time I'm gonna do it if it kills me. I have to. And I will. My father is supplementing my income enough so that I can go to school full time and not have to work. There is no better time than right now. I have no kids and no job to worry about. My fiance makes enough money that when coupled with the contribution my dad is making, we can live fairly comfortably. So I can't give myself the option of NOT going to school or I will regret it forever. Especially since this is a progressive disease. The next time I have the oppurtunity to go to school like this, I may be even sicker. I'll just suck it up and get it done because a degree will make it possible for me to work part time and still make enough money to live. Without a degree, I'm working 40 hours/week til I die... to put it bluntly.

I think I will buy him that book "The Lupus Book." He isn't a big reader so I'll read it first and highlight the stuff I want him to read. Then it won't be so DAUNTING for him. He's got a bachelors in Biology and two Associates, but he won't read a stupid book. Go figure! LOL.

Thanks

Not meaning to hijack your thread, jaideni

Bridget..there are drugs to treat the symptoms of fibromyalgia, such as Lyrica, combined with Mobic, Flexeril, Elavil and Lortab.

Lyrica is used to control seizures, treat nerve pain and fibromyalgia. It is the first FDA-approved treatment that can help relieve fibromyalgia pain

Lortab is a narcotic pain reliever (aceteminophen & hydrocodone)

Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to your brain

Elavil (amitriptyline) is a trycyclic antideppressant. It is helpful for improving sleep. Elavil has been found to lose effectiveness over time. Other tricyclics include desipramine (Norpramin), doxepin (Sinequan), imipramine (Tofranil), amoxapine (Asendin), and nortriptyline (Pamelor, Aventyl.

Mobic is an anti-inflammatory.

Sleep and exercise play a very important role with fibromyalgia symptoms. When I get good sleep from flexeril and swim for exercise, I feel almost wonderful. My wonderful.

Daniel Wallace, M.D. also published a book on fibromyalgia, called All About Fibrimyalgia. Check that one out too.

I think it is important to look for wellness everywhere, in many books, in one's story, in one's experience...trial and error. You'll find the right combination.

Enjoy this day,
    Hugs,
    Oluwa
    I have Lupus. So *^#@! what.

Thanks

oh my gosh, I went through that whole fiasco at the start of my freshman year. (i'm a junior now.)
    Don't be afraid. The key is to be flexible with your major. Make sure that if you decide not to be a pharmacist you have a back up plan, so you're safe and secure. Don't be hasty to stop pharm becuase of lupus though, unless it really really is impossible for you.

I want to go to med school, but i'm not 100% confident i'll get in, or be healthy enough to contend. I was a biology major, but i was afraid of getting too sick to finish school or go to grad school and end up without a good job. Now my undergrad is in nursing, so i'm sure to get a job and much needed health insurance when i graduate. I went into remission (thank god), so I'm still pushing forward for the med school.

You can totally stay in school, as long as you're well enough and have the motivation
    good luck!

Thanks

I have started school. I droped my two on campus classes already because of the pain of walking and the overwhelming sleepiness. I still have five classes three online and two telecourses so I still have a full plate but I think I am handling it well so far. I haven't decided yet if I should change my major although I have been thinkinn about what else would I be interested in doing. So far everything I think of still reqires atleast five more years of school. Anyway thanks to everyone who posted and left me some wonderful advice and good luck to all

Thanks

jadenei, that is such fantastic news! It does take time, and 5 years looks so long right now, I'm sure. But just think - it is only a few years.

I once had a friend complaining about how old she'd be in 6 years when she finished school, she was going back as an adult. I asked her how old she'd be in 6 years if she didn't go to school? :roll:

Take your time at it, pace yourself. 5 classes at once is a heavy load! I don't blame you for dropping the two on campus - all that walking can be dreadful.

Much luck and enjoy the studying (would you believe research is always my favorite part? )
    ~"I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe." (Dalai Lama)

Thanks

Thanks Hatlady! You made a good point. I might have to steal that one soon :lol: