Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: any people who have careers or in school?

Thanks

Default any people who have careers or in school?

I want to hear from people are in school or have attempted to go to school, and from those who have or have had a career and how having lupus affected their lives. I am in school now and having a hard time imagining being able to complete atleast five more years and going into my chosen field which is pharmacy. I am wondering if I should quit and try something else that wont require so much time and studying :?:

Thanks

I'm a stay-at-home mom with 4 kids, ages 10, 5, 4, and 8 months. That's my chosen career. I'd certainly not have chosen such a full plate if I knew 10 years ago that I was going to get sick. School or a career and no children would be much easier. I can't call in sick- EVER. I don't get to take 2 weeks vacation in the summer. No matter how sick I am, someone else needs me and I have a hard time finding time to take care of myself. That said, the rewards are more than worth the stress and hard work that having a large family brings. We may even add one more baby next winter if social workers call us for placement of the baby's sibling(birth-mom is pregnant right now). It all depends on how I'm doing at that point in time.

Thanks

Hi jaidani,
    I was in school last fall and working part-time when my lupus it me hard and I had to both quit school and my job. I was in bed for about 4-5 months before I was stabilized and my symptoms abated. Now I am at home managing my lupus and raising my children. I may in the future return to classes but rigt now I have no concrete plans to do so. Learning how to manage my lupus and listening to the signals my body sends me is my full-time job. I try not to look at all that "IT" has cost me because that just causes stress and stress affects my lupus. So I just merrily plod along with my walking stick, my wide brimmed hat, tons of SPF50 sunscreen and my jacket that has sunscreen in it.

Hi Jennyfoo, I am an adoptive mother also. We have 10 children total with only six at home now. I have three birth and seven adopted. Welcome to our Lupie Family.

K

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi:

I have lupus and fybromyalgia. When I was younger, I didn't have it too bad. I completed by four year degree. Never went the fifth year to become a full time teacher though. I probably could have worked
    as a full time teacher for a while if I had pursued it. I accommodate my lupus by working as a substitute teacher. The pay isn't anywhere that of a full time teacher, but I can work the days I feel like it. Good luck!

Thanks

I am an attorney with a very busy employment litigation practice. Prior to being diagnosed, I was always getting sick--since childhood--so career has been tough, but I have been doing it for nearly 21 years. In 2003, prior to being diagnosed or even suspecting that I had any major medical problem, I just noticed I couldn't keep pace anymore--also my mom had passed away and my dad fell ill with Leukemia--

I went into semi retirement. Moved my practice to my home and took only attorney referrals. My health continued to decline and I was diagnosed after my doctor ran an ANA and various other tests. Since then, it has been a constant struggle to maintain my flares and try to go into some form of remission.

I am finally throwing in the towel. I am convinced that my schedule and stress of litigation against Fortune 100 and 500 companies is doing me in. So, I am winding down my case load and will be done practicing by next Spring.

Thanks

Hi there. I am currently working. I am a nurse. Unfortunately I have lupus, crohn's and intracranial hypertension. Everyday that I can wake up and go to work I am grateful. I have been working for 2 months now, after being off for nearly 2 and a half years, and my body is starting to get worn down, but I am trying very hard to hold on. I am only 44 and I am just not ready for disability yet.

Thanks

I kinda figured after my last semester that I might not make it I have a three year old and not much family around. I have noticed that I feel better if I go to sleep as soon as I get the urge only that is rarely possible.I think I will try to finish my first degree with the help of a few online classes but wanted to know what i could realistically expect thanks for the posts

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi I was at university couple years back and got a degree.
    I am currently employed full time, and busy completing my honours degree.

I never had to stop doin any of these due to my illness, thank god
    :!:
    I intend to live forever, so far so good

Thanks

Hi there,

I've had lupus since I was 13, that is a total of 22 years now. I also have fibromyalgia. I completed my BA and my MS. Honestly, my BA took a long time. I had some semesters I could only handle one or two classes. For my MS, I did the majority of it online. I'm actually enrolling for another graduate degree this fall. Again, online classes. Those work best for me, I can take my laptop right into bed with me, and I can do my work whenever I can, even if it is 2 in the morning. One tip for you, register your disability with the school. That really assisted me! Most teachers gave me extra time on tests, extra time to turn in assignments, and would ask if I needed any other accommodations.

I'm working full time as a behavior analyst for children with autism. Been doing this for 14 years now. I have been very honest with the company and for the days I can't seem to get out of bed, I save up tasks that I can do from home. They have been very flexible.
    ~SwirlyGirly~
    California
    })i({

Thanks

I do not work, do not go to school, do not do much of anything now ...but I am old ...was a stay at home mom, then as the kids left I was a stay at home wife. I thank my lucky stars every day for my hubby and the life I am able to lead thanks to him.

I don't know how anyone with lupus can hold down a full time job or go to university. All of you who do simply amaze me. I am on my feet now at my computer and giving you all a standing ovation!